Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Interesting decision by Arizona...

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/1/2011 1:47:28 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
The Wildcats have announced they'll start ace pitchers Kurt Heyer and Kyle Simon in a two-game midweek set against Rice this week, with a series against Utah Valley coming up this weekend.

I found that news a little interesting .... Heyer threw just over 100 pitches on Friday of last week against LBSU, while Simon threw 99 pitches on three days rest.

Thoughts?

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/1/2011 1:53:06 PM

GatoRex
GatoRex
I'd say risky. Why jeopardize their arms this early in the season? Are they that unsure of their chances of making the NCAAT?
0 permalink
3/1/2011 2:06:28 PM

RoundingThirdStaff
RoundingThirdStaff
GatoRex wrote:
I'd say risky. Why jeopardize their arms this early in the season? Are they that unsure of their chances of making the NCAAT?

Possibly..The PAC 10 is deep this year...UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State and Washington State are all probable qualifiers this year...Oregon State is always a tough in the end too...That's 7 teams...They are probably thinking that there may not be room for 8 and they need to get positive wins against teams that will improve their RPI...and they also may think they can win with their 3, 4, 5 against Utah Valley.
0 permalink
3/1/2011 3:07:55 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
If they can put some runs up early.. and only have them pitch 60-70 pitches.. i think its ok. But anything more than that would not be cool.
0 permalink
3/1/2011 7:18:13 PM

rcw1126
rcw1126
It's no coincidence that the programs that recruit the elite arms year-in-and-year-out are known as ones that systematically protect their arms. You'd better believe that the recruited pitchers and their families know who over-pitches and who doesn't.
0 permalink
3/1/2011 8:54:02 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
If either throw over 75 pitches, white flags should probably go up.

FSU threw Gilmartin for an inning tonight against UF because it would've been his normal 'throwing session' today. So maybe they're thinking something similar and trying to get 5 innings out of their top 2 against a quality opponent and give the younger guys weekend experience.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Interesting decision by Arizona...