Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Gamecocks

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/21/2012 9:41:52 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
After getting swept by UK this last weekend, USCe gets beat in 11 innings by a red hot 8-12 Wofford Terriers (who incidentally got beat by UK in their first game of the season 10-4) WTH? Does this create a question of the UK wins being as big of a thing as it seems? Have the gamecocks imploded? Didn't see or watch the game, but maybe someone who did can answer. I know, I know. It's a mid-week game that doesn't mean anything (or does it), but still, these are the B-T-B champs.
0 permalink
3/22/2012 1:02:14 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I don't know about SoCar. Teams go through bad spells. Look at Arizona right now. But the Gamecocks have some quality wins. This weekend against Florida will be interesting. I say they bounce back and play well, even if they don't take the series.

As for Kentucky, every year they go through their first 20 or 30 games with but a handful of losses and their fans start touting how great they are. Then SEC play begins and they fall to mediocrity. Yes, they swept the Gamecocks. But look at the rest of their (#188 SOS) schedule (ISRs in parens): Wofford (227), Eastern Michigan (197), SCUpstate (47), Buffalo (188), Morehead State (142), Xavier (194), Illinois-Chicago (166), Tennessee Tech (170), Marshall (186), Canisius (213), Wright State (158), Murray State (131). Seriously? http://www.d1baseball.com/schools/kentucky.htm. I bet they looked at South Carolina Upstate's ISR last year (211) and said hesitantly, "Okay...I guess we'll play you." Cuz that #47 is an ungodly high number for a UK opponent in the preseason.

Anyway I NEVER think Kentucky is as good as their fans say in the first half of the season. Let's see what their record is after they play Georgia, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and LSU. (Hint: I think they'll be at or under .500 in conference play by then.)
+1 permalink
3/22/2012 3:07:28 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I'm with you DM I'm sick of right coast teams scheduling cupcakes pre-conference...choking in conference but still receiving respect. Prove something...hats off to Stanford, sheesh!
+1 permalink
3/22/2012 8:16:30 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
I wish LSU would do this as well. ALthough we seem to be getting a little better at scheduling some tougher OOC opponents.
0 permalink
3/22/2012 10:40:40 AM

BTExpress
BTExpress
Administrator
I agree with OpihiMan...I'd like to see right coast teams travel and play a tougher pre-conference schedule. Take South Carolina and LSU for example. Pre-conference, they never leave their home states. Schedule a left coast team, i.e. Pepperdine, San Diego, San Diego State, Long Beach State, Cal-State Fullerton, etc. or even play a Big 12 or Pac 12 team.

Also...IMO...Coach Tanner needs to move Matt Price back to the closer role. Set the weekend rotation to Michael Roth, Colby Holmes, Forrest Koumas.

Timely hitting is killing the Gamecocks. The LOB stat has got to worry the coaching staff. At this point, the Gamecocks are averaging around 5 runs a game vs. this time last year, where they were averaging around 6 runs a game.

Time will tell.
0 permalink
3/22/2012 1:23:29 PM

Tanner hinted last night that he may move Price back to the closer role. You have to remember that this team lost most of its offensive production last year and the heart of the team. There are a lot of youngsters out there and they are very talented. But youth is killing them right now. Timely hitting and defense must improve down the stretch. Scoring 3 runs/game is not going to cut it, even with that pitching staff.
0 permalink
3/22/2012 8:55:53 PM

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Florida Beaver wrote:
After getting swept by UK this last weekend, USCe gets beat in 11 innings by a red hot 8-12 Wofford Terriers (who incidentally got beat by UK in their first game of the season 10-4) WTH? Does this create a question of the UK wins being as big of a thing as it seems? Have the gamecocks imploded? Didn't see or watch the game, but maybe someone who did can answer. I know, I know. It's a mid-week game that doesn't mean anything (or does it), but still, these are the B-T-B champs.

FB,
I think the midweek games really factor in at the end of the year , especially if you might be on the bubble but I am not sure that will be the case for your Gators or my Gamecocks by the end of the year. We were fortunate to get some timely hitting tonight and come out with the win, but the rest of the series should be great. Have we imploded ? I don't think so..but we are a very, very, young at a lot of positions. Let's see what happens over the weekend.

--
Baseball is like church....many attend but few understand.
0 permalink
3/22/2012 9:04:01 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Carolina Mike wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:

FB,
I think the midweek games really factor in at the end of the year , especially if you might be on the bubble but I am not sure that will be the case for your Gators or my Gamecocks by the end of the year. We were fortunate to get some timely hitting tonight and come out with the win, but the rest of the series should be great. Have we imploded ? I don't think so..but we are a very, very, young at a lot of positions. Let's see what happens over the weekend.

OH HECK NO!!!!

Carolina Mike,

The name does NOT imply I'm a gator fan. Far from it. I am an Oregon State Beaver fan that happens to live in Gainesville. I am a fine, long and high standing member of the gator-hater fan club.

Good win tonight. Sweep 'em!
0 permalink
3/23/2012 9:51:10 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
BTExpress wrote:
I agree with OpihiMan...I'd like to see right coast teams travel and play a tougher pre-conference schedule. Take South Carolina and LSU for example. Pre-conference, they never leave their home states. Schedule a left coast team, i.e. Pepperdine, San Diego, San Diego State, Long Beach State, Cal-State Fullerton, etc. or even play a Big 12 or Pac 12 team.

Well, last season LSU played CSF. I believe they will travel to CSF next year to play a series, not definite on that though.
And two seasons ago LSU hosted Pepperdine and Kansas(a BIG 12 team). LSU also hosted Wake Forest-ACC, a program that is on the rise.

Every year there is a few good teams scheduled, maybe not to the degree of others but I think we are getting there and improving.

As far as traveling, I don't think they will ever go out of state too much in out of conference, not when LSU can fill up Alex Box and rake in the money.
0 permalink
3/23/2012 11:07:12 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
The big thing with programs like South Carolina and LSU, who have great facilities, is if you're them, why would you go on the road when you can get 7K gate for an opponent like Appalachian State at home?

I'm not saying it's right, but just bringing some perspective to the debate.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/23/2012 12:33:46 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
I agree Kendall.

It also seems that, by building such nice ballparks, these programs have to schedule so many home games to pay off the high costs of constructing these facilities.

Maybe that isn't a good excuse, but I'm sure that goes into scheduling decisions.
0 permalink
3/23/2012 3:11:06 PM

Postal Cock
Postal Cock
Kendall wrote:
The big thing with programs like South Carolina and LSU, who have great facilities, is if you're them, why would you go on the road when you can get 7K gate for an opponent like Appalachian State at home?

I'm not saying it's right, but just bringing some perspective to the debate.

I'm pretty sure that plays a big part in scheduling. When you sell 5-6 thousand season tickets and concessions you are talking about a lot of money.

South Carolina will travel around the state for some midweek games. 2 trips to Charleston (Citadel and CofC) and 1 trip to Greenville (Furman). This year they are going to Florence to help Francis Marion open their new stadium. That game will hurt us in RPI and SOS but it is something I guess we wanted to do to help Francis Marion out.
0 permalink
3/24/2012 12:07:49 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I understand you're reasoning Kendall, but that still doesn't explain the bias the right coast schools get despite playing these easy OOC Home schedule.
0 permalink
3/24/2012 5:06:24 PM

BTExpress
BTExpress
Administrator
Proof is in the initial "real" road trips...South Carolina swept in Lexington. LSU lost Game 1 yesterday, just lost Game 2 to in Auburn.
0 permalink
3/26/2012 6:33:50 AM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
LSU will not be playing at Fullerton next year or in the near future. That was a one year contract.

The game with Francis Marion does not count in the RPI because they are not a D1 opponent.
0 permalink
3/26/2012 10:12:44 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
FullertonBaseballFan wrote:
LSU will not be playing at Fullerton next year or in the near future. That was a one year contract.

The game with Francis Marion does not count in the RPI because they are not a D1 opponent.

Oh, I thought it was a home and home type of thing. Thanks for the info.

That sucks, I was looking forward to the two schools playing again.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post