Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Some quick thoughts on Tuesday's results

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/2/2011 12:51:06 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here are some quick thoughts I put together on Tuesday's results. Quite a few upsets
---

http://www.perfectgame.org/blogs/View.aspx?blog=141

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/2/2011 2:07:20 PM

The game
The game
Saw Fullerton vs. LMU - Umpire sat on inside shoulder of the catcher and would not give a pitch on the outside corner. Fullerton pitcher Floethe jammed the heck out of LMU's batters using a 91-93 darting FB. He pitched an unbelievable game with only a half of the plate to pitch too. 7 innings he must of had 15 weak ground balls and one of the 3 hits was an infield slow roller. Fullerton seems to be playing alot better...
0 permalink
3/2/2011 5:06:41 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
I cannot believe FSu brought in their friday night starter in a midweek game. Martin never seems to amaze me.
0 permalink
3/2/2011 7:24:20 PM

fsugeo
fsugeo
shoelessT wrote:
I cannot believe FSu brought in their friday night starter in a midweek game. Martin never seems to amaze me.

Arizona started their weekend guy on Tuesday night and you are amazed by a Friday starter throwing an inning on what would have been a bullpen day?
0 permalink
3/2/2011 9:00:30 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Martin is ridiculous. Get guys work. Its too early in the season. And everyone wonders why he has never won a championship. And yes I am amazed at such a stupid decision. A bullpen day is not the same thing.
0 permalink
3/2/2011 9:07:25 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Martin always changes his rotation just to beat Florida. It is actually funny. Florida throws some midweek guys who need work while FSU starts a weekend guy. They did it last year, they did it this year, and Martin will always do it because when you can't win it all, you might as well pull out all the stops against your rival. I hate FSU and UF, but I do find it rather funny the different mindsets of the two programs. It was like the FSU World Series tuesday night. I was at the game (after watching my Hurricanes in another embarrassing loss, ouch!) and FSU is always so uptight before games like these. I have said it before and I will say it again, when Mike Martin leaves FSU, FSU will win multiple national championships. Its crazy that with the facilities, easy academics and bright futures (which is huge with only 11 scholarships to get in state tuition and bright futures), and the state of Florida recruiting that FSU has not won a title. It boils down to decisions like tuesday throwing Gilmartin (as little as that may sound, its a mindset).
edited by shoelessT on 3/2/2011
0 permalink
3/2/2011 11:25:35 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I have no problem with him throwing an inning, a normal bullpen 'throwing day' you'd throw a simulated game, here it just so happens it wasn't sim'd. Now had 11 left Gilmartin in there for the 7th, THEN we're talking about a lot of ppl having problems with it. But I think had the game been on Wed, he wouldn't have had Gilmartin throw, it would've been someone coming else coming in, or maybe he leaves Sitz in for the 6th.

And as for Florida, they haven't won anything either and the mindset of Florida is very much the same as FSU's. Go get the best players, play them, win games, contend and go after the CWS Title. Of COURSE they want to win, what would you prefer, throw Sitz against Hofstra and go Johnny Bullpen against Florida JUST because it's a midweek game?!?? If these midweek games don't mean as much, then WHY schedule them at all in the first place?!?? As was pointed out earlier, rotations have been moved around in other places, it's not just a 'Florida State thing'.
0 permalink
3/3/2011 4:49:56 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
I agree that UF has not won anything but their mindset is not the same. And yes I would throw my weekend guys on weekends. Get them in the groove. Its early.
0 permalink
3/3/2011 7:46:54 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
GT started 7 Freshmen last night (Pitcher too).. Georgia State started 8 Seniors and threw their ACE.

We are going to have some growing pains obviously.. but Grimes will get there, just tends to leave some balls up in the zone at times costing him some timely hits.
0 permalink
3/3/2011 8:53:43 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Florida's mindset is clearly the same if not lower than that of FSU's....just look at the UF fans up in arms about how suddenly unsteady that team who for 2 weeks had been playing pretty good ball, just came undone by mistakes and baserunning blunders abound. 'Sully' has every chance to change what Pat McMahon did, make it a weekend series, Martin has said in the past he would LOVE to resume the weekend series format they had until UF took it off the schedule.

And yes, they've got "an edge" in recruiting no doubt about it, but it also helps when you've got 1st rounders passing on the $$$ to go to school, FSU wasn't as fortunate last year (see Kaleb Cowart) but Florida will run into problems with the 11.7 rule very shortly, maybe even as early as next year given the past 2 recruiting classes.
0 permalink
3/3/2011 9:22:36 AM

E-Dub
E-Dub
NolesFanJosh wrote:
Florida's mindset is clearly the same if not lower than that of FSU's....just look at the UF fans up in arms about how suddenly unsteady that team who for 2 weeks had been playing pretty good ball, just came undone by mistakes and baserunning blunders abound. 'Sully' has every chance to change what Pat McMahon did, make it a weekend series, Martin has said in the past he would LOVE to resume the weekend series format they had until UF took it off the schedule.

And yes, they've got "an edge" in recruiting no doubt about it, but it also helps when you've got 1st rounders passing on the $$$ to go to school, FSU wasn't as fortunate last year (see Kaleb Cowart) but Florida will run into problems with the 11.7 rule very shortly, maybe even as early as next year given the past 2 recruiting classes.

I know 11.7 has to do with schiolarships, and I think I heard that something like seven juniors from the precocious Gulliver Prep team are commited to Florida, but can you explain in a litrle more detail what you see as the ramifications here?
0 permalink
3/3/2011 1:08:13 PM

fsugeo
fsugeo
shoelessT wrote:
Martin always changes his rotation just to beat Florida. It is actually funny. Florida throws some midweek guys who need work while FSU starts a weekend guy. They did it last year, they did it this year, and Martin will always do it because when you can't win it all, you might as well pull out all the stops against your rival. I hate FSU and UF, but I do find it rather funny the different mindsets of the two programs. It was like the FSU World Series tuesday night. I was at the game (after watching my Hurricanes in another embarrassing loss, ouch!) and FSU is always so uptight before games like these. I have said it before and I will say it again, when Mike Martin leaves FSU, FSU will win multiple national championships. Its crazy that with the facilities, easy academics and bright futures (which is huge with only 11 scholarships to get in state tuition and bright futures), and the state of Florida recruiting that FSU has not won a title. It boils down to decisions like tuesday throwing Gilmartin (as little as that may sound, its a mindset).
edited by shoelessT on 3/2/2011

Last year UF's opening weekend rotation was Tommy Toledo, Brian Johnson and Anthony DeSclafani. In the first game against FSU last year DeSclafani got the start. Now he didn't record an out, but it still counts as a start anyway. The next guy in was Hudson Randall. He wound up as a weekend guy for UF last year. Also, Brian Johnson and Tommy Toledo worked in that game. The guys who were in the opening weekend rotation. So, looks like Mike Martin isn't the only person to get guys side work in this series, huh?

Another interesting thing about that game is that Alex Panteliodis saw action too. So, FSU saw all of UFs opening weekend starters and all of the guys who finished the season in their starting rotation.

Hudson Randall also started game 2 against FSU last year, got hung with the loss in game 3 of the regular season series and started and lost the CWS game.

The idea that UF doesn't use weekend pitchers in this series in laughable.

edited by fsugeo on 3/3/2011
0 permalink
3/3/2011 5:43:03 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Mike Martin is laughable. UF does occasionally use a weekend pitcher but FSU changes their rotation every single time when they play UF. I agree that FSU still beat UF in Omaha with a weekend guy throwing but last year UF just had sooo many pitchers that they really did not have their rotation down and were getting guys work. That is complete different. So the only thing that is laughable is the hilarious signs up at Dick Howser stadium stating their conference titles and post season appearances...oh and the Publix sign where I guess the national championship banner would hang...oh wait...
0 permalink
3/3/2011 5:44:22 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Please, Mike Martin does not want a weekend series with UF. I know that for a fact. You may be right about Sully not wanting one either but Martin I know does not want it. He will take Hofstra every year instead. And Toledo and A.Pants are not in UF's rotation so there is nothing "interesting" about seeing them tuesday. Come on.
edited by shoelessT on 3/3/2011
0 permalink
3/3/2011 6:27:46 PM

fsugeo
fsugeo
shoelessT wrote:
Please, Mike Martin does not want a weekend series with UF. I know that for a fact. You may be right about Sully not wanting one either but Martin I know does not want it. He will take Hofstra every year instead.

Pat McMahon changed the set up for the series, not Mike Martin. You can dislike a program, team, player or coach and still be informed and factual about them. I don't like Florida or Miami, but I am objective and can discuss either team reasonably.
0 permalink
3/3/2011 6:30:24 PM

fsugeo
fsugeo
shoelessT wrote:
Mike Martin is laughable. UF does occasionally use a weekend pitcher but FSU changes their rotation every single time when they play UF. I agree that FSU still beat UF in Omaha with a weekend guy throwing but last year UF just had sooo many pitchers that they really did not have their rotation down and were getting guys work. That is complete different. So the only thing that is laughable is the hilarious signs up at Dick Howser stadium stating their conference titles and post season appearances...oh and the Publix sign where I guess the national championship banner would hang...oh wait...
Right, I remember all those times we moved Bo O'Dell out of the weekend rotation so he could start against Florida.

Second, if UF has "so many pitchers" they can't even decide who to put in the weekend rotation shouldn't they beat FSU regardless of who FSU trots to the mound?

Third, Hudson Randall was the #2 pitcher for UF last season and FSU faced him four times and gave him two of his four losses..
0 permalink
3/4/2011 4:51:33 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
11.7 is the TOTAL # of scholarships allowed in college baseball to be given dispersed however thru the entire team. Essentially a "1st round can't miss stud" would probably be up for more than .5 scholarship (or for lack of better term, exactly HALF his school paid for) and if Florida is pulling in all these 'studs' year after year, they're gonna have to find ways to stay under 11.7 Kinda look at it like a Salary Cap so to speak. And yes, UF will run into 'salary cap problems' sooner rather than later.
0 permalink
3/4/2011 5:00:26 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
shoelessT wrote:

Wait, so it's ok for one to do when the perception is that he does it every once in awhile but it's TOTALLY 'laughable' when it's simple PERCEPTION that the other is guilty of doing such an act 'every single time they play'?!?? As Geo pointed out in post above...Bo O'Dell was NOT a weekend starter...and he's logged a couple starts against Florida in the midweek *Geo correct me if it was only 1* So your statement...'every single time' is just a misplaced perception of one coach and one program. But feel free to provide evidence to the contrary instead of saying you 'know it for a fact' when in FACT, you were again shown to be wrong when it was McMahon who took the weekend series away and Martin has said in NUMEROUS lead-ups to midweek showdowns with UF that it'd be a great showcase for College Baseball if these teams were to meet for a weekend. UF has their cake and eats it too by getting a weekend series with Miami, while still playing FSU 4x's. (Once @ each home field, one time in Tampa and once in Jax.)
0 permalink
3/4/2011 7:21:13 AM

E-Dub
E-Dub
NolesFanJosh wrote:
11.7 is the TOTAL # of scholarships allowed in college baseball to be given dispersed however thru the entire team. Essentially a "1st round can't miss stud" would probably be up for more than .5 scholarship (or for lack of better term, exactly HALF his school paid for) and if Florida is pulling in all these 'studs' year after year, they're gonna have to find ways to stay under 11.7 Kinda look at it like a Salary Cap so to speak. And yes, UF will run into 'salary cap problems' sooner rather than later.

Thanks, Josh. Great explanation and it makes sense. Florida has been the rare school to actually bring their highly-drafted kids to campus with regularity the last couple of years.
0 permalink
3/4/2011 11:49:28 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
No problem E-Dub, yeah and while it's nice in the short-term, the effects won't be felt until as I said earlier, next year or 2013.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Some quick thoughts on Tuesday's results