Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Week 8 in Pac-12 Baseball

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/11/2012 11:33:57 AM

ASU74
ASU74
• Five Pac-12 teams are ranked in Baseball America’s top 25 poll: Arizona (4), Stanford (6), Oregon (16), UCLA (17) and Arizona State (21).

• Three Conference teams lead all Division I teams in major statistical categories: The No. 4 Wildcats have the highest batting average in the country through April 8 (.331), Washington is top-ranked in fielding percentage (.983) and Washington State leads the nation in double plays per game with 1.32 (37 double plays in 28 games).

• No. 21 Arizona State represents the West Coast as College Baseball Insider.com’s Regional Team of the Week after sweeping then-No. 20 Oregon State in Tempe. ASU junior shortstop Deven Marrero amassed four hits, two RBI, three runs, 12 assists and four putouts in the three-game series, earning him a spot on College Baseball 360’s Primetime Performers Honor Roll for Week Eight. Oregon sophomore outfielder and Pac-12 Player of the Week Brett Thomas earned the same honor for batting .636 (7-for-11) in three games against then-No. 5 UCLA last week, racking up two doubles, three runs scored, two RBI and two stolen bases as the then-No. 22 Ducks took two of three games from the Bruins in Los Angeles.

• Oregon sophomore Aaron Jones smacked two home runs against UCLA on Thursday, contributing to the Ducks’ 6-2 upset in the first game of the series. Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week Alex Keudell was on the mound for Oregon and hurled seven shutout innings to improve to 3-0 in his last three starts.

• Sun Devil RHP Brady Rodgers leads the Pac-12 with a 1.12 ERA, the 12th-best number among D-I pitchers. The junior improved to 5-1 after striking out six, walking one and giving up no earned runs over eight innings last Thursday. ASU’s staff ranks fourth nationally with a 2.62 ERA.

• USC senior RHP Andrew Triggs threw a complete game against California on Friday, striking out eight and allowing one run as the Trojans pulled off a two-run comeback in the ninth inning to defeat the Golden Bears, 2-1. USC also won Saturday’s contest in walk-off fashion after freshman catcher Garrett Stubbs drew a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth for the 3-2 win.

• Four Pac-12 teams rank in the top 20 for hits allowed per nine innings: Oregon (10th, 7.44), Washington (12th, 7.57), Arizona State (13th, 7.59) and UCLA (16th, 7.64).

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
4/11/2012 9:06:32 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Nice summary ASU74. You and Dodger Matt need to solicit Kendall for payment.

ASU74 wrote:
• Five Pac-12 teams are ranked in Baseball America’s top 25 poll: Arizona (4), Stanford (6), Oregon (16), UCLA (17) and Arizona State (21).

• Three Conference teams lead all Division I teams in major statistical categories: The No. 4 Wildcats have the highest batting average in the country through April 8 (.331), Washington is top-ranked in fielding percentage (.983) and Washington State leads the nation in double plays per game with 1.32 (37 double plays in 28 games).

• No. 21 Arizona State represents the West Coast as College Baseball Insider.com’s Regional Team of the Week after sweeping then-No. 20 Oregon State in Tempe. ASU junior shortstop Deven Marrero amassed four hits, two RBI, three runs, 12 assists and four putouts in the three-game series, earning him a spot on College Baseball 360’s Primetime Performers Honor Roll for Week Eight. Oregon sophomore outfielder and Pac-12 Player of the Week Brett Thomas earned the same honor for batting .636 (7-for-11) in three games against then-No. 5 UCLA last week, racking up two doubles, three runs scored, two RBI and two stolen bases as the then-No. 22 Ducks took two of three games from the Bruins in Los Angeles.

• Oregon sophomore Aaron Jones smacked two home runs against UCLA on Thursday, contributing to the Ducks’ 6-2 upset in the first game of the series. Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week Alex Keudell was on the mound for Oregon and hurled seven shutout innings to improve to 3-0 in his last three starts.

• Sun Devil RHP Brady Rodgers leads the Pac-12 with a 1.12 ERA, the 12th-best number among D-I pitchers. The junior improved to 5-1 after striking out six, walking one and giving up no earned runs over eight innings last Thursday. ASU’s staff ranks fourth nationally with a 2.62 ERA.

• USC senior RHP Andrew Triggs threw a complete game against California on Friday, striking out eight and allowing one run as the Trojans pulled off a two-run comeback in the ninth inning to defeat the Golden Bears, 2-1. USC also won Saturday’s contest in walk-off fashion after freshman catcher Garrett Stubbs drew a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth for the 3-2 win.

• Four Pac-12 teams rank in the top 20 for hits allowed per nine innings: Oregon (10th, 7.44), Washington (12th, 7.57), Arizona State (13th, 7.59) and UCLA (16th, 7.64).
0 permalink
4/11/2012 10:07:23 PM

ASU74
ASU74
BB
Thanks for the compliment, but unwarranted. Cut & paste from the Pac 12 website, whereas DM's info is from his own research. Just wanted to pass on the info to everyone.
edited by ASU74 on 4/11/2012

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
4/12/2012 7:41:38 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
BB, Thanks for the compliment, but unwarranted. Cut & paste from the Pac 12 website, whereas DM's info is from his own research. Just wanted to pass on the info to everyone.

This made me smile. I must admit, however, that there have been a number of times I jumped to a Pac-12 team's website to copy-n-paste some of their verbiage for game summaries.

But I don't often go to the Pac-12 website, so Bob's compliment is still spot on. I mean, whoda thunk that Wazzu and UW would be leading the nation in anything this year? (I just want to see some mention next week of Conforto smacking two three-run homers against Nevada. If pac-12.org doesn't, then it is incumbent on you to edit and add that info.)
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Week 8 in Pac-12 Baseball