Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » San Diego at Portland

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/27/2012 5:40:28 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Free video: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/up.portal#
0 permalink
4/27/2012 6:15:47 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kyle Kraus (6-3) became Portland's career win leader with this win, his 26th. He had zero earned runs in this game until the 9th when the Toreros hit three leadoff singles, two of which looked like fluke hits on awkward swings, and Kraus gave up two earned runs in the complete game victory...which raised his ERA.
0 permalink
4/27/2012 11:34:49 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thanks Matt. I wish I would have caught this early in the day. Will watch tomorrow's game.
0 permalink
4/28/2012 1:57:21 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Same link for today's game. Click the Watch link in the upper right corner, then click Live stats for a NeuLion-like scoreboard.
0 permalink
4/28/2012 2:12:30 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kinda funny seeing that San Diego catcher wearing sunglasses behind his catcher's mask.
0 permalink
4/28/2012 3:23:41 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, I expected poor quality, but it's on par with what OSU does regarding filming. Much better than the one camera behind homeplate that UW has.
Good game so far today. 1-1 in the 5th. I might have to drive up the the Bluff tomorrow and catch the game.
edited by BeaverBob on 4/28/2012
0 permalink
4/28/2012 3:45:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yeah, not bad, eh? And being able to watch them, I understand now why Portland has such a good team ERA. Their R-L ace-deuce pitchers are pretty darn good. Just like another purple-clad PNW team from a few years back (Lincecum at Washington), it would be a shame if Portland didn't make the postseason this year. Even as a 3-seed, I think they could cause some problems for the favored teams.
0 permalink
4/28/2012 8:53:32 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Yeah, not bad, eh? And being able to watch them, I understand now why Portland has such a good team ERA. Their R-L ace-deuce pitchers are pretty darn good. Just like another purple-clad PNW team from a few years back (Lincecum at Washington), it would be a shame if Portland didn't make the postseason this year. Even as a 3-seed, I think they could cause some problems for the favored teams.

they got no hit by a freshman "phenom" that was a #5 on the depth chart.. OSU torched that same pitcher.. I doubt they will make it to the post season..
0 permalink
4/28/2012 9:14:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Whether or not they make the postseason is still up in the air. What I'm saying is, with the one-two punch they have, they could cause problems if they do get in. The Ducks did not face either of those pitchers.
0 permalink
4/28/2012 10:13:21 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Whether or not they make the postseason is still up in the air. What I'm saying is, with the one-two punch they have, they could cause problems if they do get in. The Ducks did not face either of those pitchers.

And Our 1-2 punch is not proven?
0 permalink
4/29/2012 2:07:14 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:

Huh? Here, let me paraphrase this conversation. Tell me where you misunderstood....
    DM: Portland's pretty good this year. If they get into the postseason, they could cause some problems for higher seeds.

RD: You think they're good? Our freshman no-hit them, then Oregon State destroyed our freshman. You call that good?

DM: You didn't face Portland's ace or deuce. A one- or two-seed in the postseason would. And that's what I'm talking about.

RD: What about Oregon's ace and deuce, huh?

DM: What do Oregon's starters have to do with this discussion? I did not say Portland would face Oregon in the postseason and shut them down.

[Future comments, not yet made but soon should be.]

RD: Oh, I get it! I'm sorry. Forgive me for thinking only about my team and incorrectly assuming that everything somebody says about another team is somehow a slam on my Ducks. I understand now that you were only offering a third party's objective appreciation for another team and that your comments didn't have any correlation to my Ducks. I wish I could say I won't make this mistake again, but that might not be the case. But for now please accept my humble apology for steering this conversation away from the Pilots.

DM (magnanimously): No problem.

RD: So tell me: Why DO you think Oregon's Friday and Saturday starters are not proven?
0 permalink
4/29/2012 4:21:02 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Riverduck wrote:

Huh? Here, let me paraphrase this conversation. Tell me where you misunderstood....
    DM: Portland's pretty good this year. If they get into the postseason, they could cause some problems for higher seeds.

RD: You think they're good? Our freshman no-hit them, then Oregon State destroyed our freshman. You call that good?

DM: You didn't face Portland's ace or deuce. A one- or two-seed in the postseason would. And that's what I'm talking about.

RD: What about Oregon's ace and deuce, huh?

DM: What do Oregon's starters have to do with this discussion? I did not say Portland would face Oregon in the postseason and shut them down.

[Future comments, not yet made but soon should be.]

RD: Oh, I get it! I'm sorry. Forgive me for thinking only about my team and incorrectly assuming that everything somebody says about another team is somehow a slam on my Ducks. I understand now that you were only offering a third party's objective appreciation for another team and that your comments didn't have any correlation to my Ducks. I wish I could say I won't make this mistake again, but that might not be the case. But for now please accept my humble apology for steering this conversation away from the Pilots.

DM (magnanimously): No problem.
    Well if that is what you want me to say.. that is fine. On a more positive note. How bout those Ducks! First Pac team to 30 wins, 14 pac wins. Next step is to beat you guys at home for a series win. Would be sweet to win the Pac title at Goss.
    Maybe the ducks could have PDX in our regional. That would be sweet.

edited by Riverduck on 4/29/2012
edited by Riverduck on 4/29/2012
0 permalink
4/29/2012 6:36:19 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I caught the Pilots game today on the Bluff. What a nice afternoon. It's interesting to see the difference in the crowd from Goss Stadium -- Much older and subdied than Beaver fans. It's more like watching a good highschool game, but with very good talent.

The Pilots played well and won the series 2-1.
0 permalink
4/29/2012 9:03:50 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I was watching most of the game from my computer; I didn't see you. Maybe you should have worn orange...been orange.

Etzel Field looks pretty nice, doesn't it?

BTW, that pitch did NOT hit the batter, which was to Portland's detriment, as the runner on third should have scored on the wild pitch but didn't because it was a dead ball and the next batter popped out. Too bad Rich Hill got bent on that play cuz the umps saved him a run by getting the call wrong.
0 permalink
4/29/2012 9:11:38 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
    Maybe the ducks could have PDX in our regional. That would be sweet.
Be careful what you wish for....

Here's what I have been thinking. I don't know what Oregon's all-time record is against Portland, but Oregon State's is a huge win advantage. A big part of that lies in the fact that the two teams never in the "modern era" of the last ten years or so play each other for three-game weekend series. We play a couple times each year nowadays in midweek games, facing those fourth or fifth starters. That is to OSU's (and Oregon's) advantage because Portland's roster will not often be as deep.

But in a weekend series? Or in a regional where you might only have to beat the other team twice? The odds even a little bit for Portland. Especially this year.
0 permalink
4/30/2012 1:14:09 AM

ConnorOSU
ConnorOSU
It would be fun to have a four game tournament between Oregon, Oregon State, Gonzaga, and Portland each season. The venue could rotate, and with Oregon's new park, the Beavers' beautiful stadium, the Pilots soon to be beautiful field, and Gonzaga's turn being played at Safeco, you'd have quite the event. A sample schedule could look like this:

2013 at PK Park in Eugene

Friday - Oregon State vs Gonzaga, 3:30 PM
Portland vs Oregon, 7:00 PM

Saturday - Oregon State vs Portland, 3:30 PM
Gonzaga vs Oregon, 7:00 PM

Sunday - Gonzaga vs Portland, 10:00 AM
Oregon State vs Oregon, 1:30 PM

By the way, I was reading up on Portland's new baseball stadium, and it sounds spectacular. I love Joe Etzel because of a few things (right by the dorm rooms, great food, small; close to the action), but it sounds like nothing compared to the new stadium that will be right on the Willamette River. On a sunny day when the Pilots are in the Top 25, I can see fans sitting out in the river in their canoes waiting to chase home run balls. That's the type of thing that can get recruits and build a program.
0 permalink
4/30/2012 10:03:42 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
ConnorOSU wrote:
It would be fun to have a four game tournament between Oregon, Oregon State, Gonzaga, and Portland each season. The venue could rotate, and with Oregon's new park, the Beavers' beautiful stadium, the Pilots soon to be beautiful field, and Gonzaga's turn being played at Safeco, you'd have quite the event. A sample schedule could look like this:

2013 at PK Park in Eugene

Friday - Oregon State vs Gonzaga, 3:30 PM
Portland vs Oregon, 7:00 PM

Saturday - Oregon State vs Portland, 3:30 PM
Gonzaga vs Oregon, 7:00 PM

Sunday - Gonzaga vs Portland, 10:00 AM
Oregon State vs Oregon, 1:30 PM

By the way, I was reading up on Portland's new baseball stadium, and it sounds spectacular. I love Joe Etzel because of a few things (right by the dorm rooms, great food, small; close to the action), but it sounds like nothing compared to the new stadium that will be right on the Willamette River. On a sunny day when the Pilots are in the Top 25, I can see fans sitting out in the river in their canoes waiting to chase home run balls. That's the type of thing that can get recruits and build a program.

Yeah, that would be cool. I remember going to a Joe Etzel pitch and catch clinic back in the late 80's..
0 permalink
4/30/2012 10:57:07 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
That's not likely to happen any time soon, unless some of the D3 programs here suddenly become D1 overnight. We are so spread out in the PNW that we need Portland and Gonzaga for midweek games. That's why OSU and Oregon play a couple of midweek nonconference games too. And UW played Oregon a couple extra times last year, I think. If Colorado adds baseball or the Pac adds four more teams (Texas and Oklahoma schools) and our conference schedule expands, we'll still need midweek games that don't require a lot of traveling. Look at Portland and Wazzu this week playing in Pasco. That's a midweek game between "geographically close" teams, but they're splitting the travel distance.

As for facing Portland or Gonzaga in the postseason, yep. If either or both teams make it, and if Oregon and/or OSU hosts, expect to see those WCC teams in Eugene or Corvallis.
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » San Diego at Portland