Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Cal State Bakersfield

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/3/2011 7:59:21 PM

rickybassman
rickybassman
So, after beating #7 Arizona State, CSUB has now won 7 straight including 5 wins this season against Pac-10 teams. Hopefully this opens some eyes, but if it doesnt, they play Kansas tomorrow, Fresno State on Tuesday and head to the defending national champions South Carolina for a 3 game set next weekend.
0 permalink
3/3/2011 10:15:45 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
rickybassman wrote:
So, after beating #7 Arizona State, CSUB has now won 7 straight including 5 wins this season against Pac-10 teams. Hopefully this opens some eyes, but if it doesnt, they play Kansas tomorrow, Fresno State on Tuesday and head to the defending national champions South Carolina for a 3 game set next weekend.

Bill Kernen is a great coach and is doing a really really nice job of leading that program. What's funny is I've had a few people ask me if I thought he'd leave ... I think Kernen loves the situation he has there at CSB.... he can pretty much turn water into wine there and get 100 percent of the credit.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/4/2011 9:39:43 AM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
He's in a similar environment to where he was at with Northridge in the late 80's thru the mid 90's. Starting from scratch with a D2 and/or new program, playing as an independent at a Cal State school, which means it's not difficult to get kids into school, in an area with ballplayers (not as much as the immediate SoCal area but not that far away either from there or from the Fresno area).

Boyd had their intended SOS at 40 with series already played against the Wash schools (4-2), this weekends ASU tournament, series with an improved LMU as well as South Carolina, UCLA and Fresno and five of the Big West schools (don't play Fullerton, Long Beach, UCSB or Pacific) and four midweek games with K State.

Crazier things have happened but with that schedule (and already 2-2 against WSU and ASU) Bakersfield could play their way into getting an at-large spot at a regional at Stanford or Fullerton (two likely hosts this year).
0 permalink
3/5/2011 12:48:30 PM

29cws07
29cws07
Kendall wrote:
rickybassman wrote:

Bill Kernen is a great coach and is doing a really really nice job of leading that program. What's funny is I've had a few people ask me if I thought he'd leave ... I think Kernen loves the situation he has there at CSB.... he can pretty much turn water into wine there and get 100 percent of the credit.

Very well said. This may be one of the strongest independents in the country. Coach Kernen is doing at CSB what he briefly did his second stint at Fullerton, teaching your pitchers how to compete and win. They may well make it in to a Regional this year if they can garner 33-35 wins (as their schedule is a killer).
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Cal State Bakersfield