Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
5/15/2012 7:04:43 PM
• Six Pac-12 teams are ranked in Baseball America’s top 25 poll: OREGON (6), UCLA (11), ARIZONA (14), STANFORD (17), ARIZONA STATE (18) and OREGON STATE (23).
• Heading into the final two weeks of the regular season, Oregon leads the Pac-12 with one Conference series remaining (Oregon State in Corvallis). Arizona is 1.5 games back with two Pac-12 series left (USC on the road and Arizona State at home). UCLA is 2.5 games behind the Ducks and faces CALIFORNIA on the road this weekend, and then hosts USC next weekend.
• Arizona State is holding its second “Pass the Bucket Night” of the season when they host Arizona on Wednesday to raise money and awareness for student coach Cory Hahn and his family. Hahn is a former ASU player who was paralyzed last season in the third game of his collegiate career after he slid head-first into the opposing second baseman’s leg on a steal attempt. Volunteers in gray ASU jerseys will be stationed at every section in Packard Stadium and will pass around donation buckets during the fourth inning. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
• Arizona swept the Pac-12’s weekly awards, with sophomore left fielder Johnny Field winning Player of the Week and junior right-handed pitcher Kurt Heyer earning Pitcher of the Week. Field batted .583 in the Wildcats’ series sweep at Cal over the weekend, amassing seven hits, four runs, a home run, two doubles and an RBI along with a pair of drawn walks, two outfield assists and a .643 on-base percentage for the three-game series. Heyer threw his fifth complete game of the season on Friday, striking out nine and walking one in Arizona’s 3-1 victory at Cal. He scattered five hits and no earned runs over nine innings as he limited the Golden Bears to just two at-bats (0-for-2) with a runner in scoring position. Heyer improved to 9-2 on the season and lowered his ERA to 2.28. Field now leads the Pac-12 in on-base percentage (.484) and is second in the Conference in batting average (.378) and runs scored (51). Heyer leads the Conference in innings pitched (102.2), is second in batters struck out (85) and batters struck out looking (26), and has the Pac-12’s sixth-best ERA (2.28).
• The Pac-12 has two teams in the top five of the NCAA RPI: UCLA at No. 3 and Oregon at No. 5. Stanford, Arizona and Arizona State round out the top 25 at Nos. 11, 17 and 21, respectively.
Go Devils !!
Powered by AspNetForum 188.8.131.52
© 2006-2010 Jitbit Software