Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Arizona a NS?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/27/2012 8:20:27 PM

Rowdy
Rowdy
Congratulations to UCLA and AZ: PAC12 Champs!
PAC12 National Seed discussion.

As the RPI#1, PAC12 Co-Champion and automatic bid; UCLA is a legitimate NS, no doubt. Hats off to a great season for the Bruins.
AZ has quite a body of work as well in sharing the PAC12 Crown, 13-2 weekend series, and the only 8-2 team in conference play. They boast a respectable RPI#12/13 with a 10-6 mark against the RPI#25. They join only FSU with 13 weekend series victories (in all of Top25). This is a legitimate NS resume
UO will finish with an RPI#6/7, second place in the PAC12, 11-3 weekend and 6-3 in conference play. They boast a very respectable 12-3 mark against the RPI#25. This is also a NS resume
Who gets the nod or does the PAC12 field 3 NS and someone else gets the bump? AZ got the job done and captured their first conference title in 20 years and had a solid season. UO entered the weekend looking to take their first conference title and a virtual lock as a NS. Now they stand as the third best team in the PAC12 and maybe only a regional host.
Will AZ capture a NS tomorrow? What are your thoughts Kendall?
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:43:53 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Aaron Fitt barely gave Arizona a regional host the last I looked, and he had Stanford competing with SoCar for the eighth national seed. With the Cardinal's slip against Cal, I think the Gamecocks have the leg up on them. So I'm thinking the national seeds for the Pac will be UCLA and Oregon (despite the Civil War sweep and loss of the conference crown).

Won't have long to wait.
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:59:46 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, you are probably right. It makes no sense that the PAC 12 co -champion isn't rewarded, while the third place team is. Rowdy make a great argument.

If the Pac 12 is either one of the top two conferences and the co-champs can't get a national seed, something is broken.
0 permalink
5/28/2012 7:15:33 AM

MiamiBaseball
MiamiBaseball
BeaverBob wrote:
DM, you are probably right. It makes no sense that the PAC 12 co -champion isn't rewarded, while the third place team is. Rowdy make a great argument.

If the Pac 12 is either one of the top two conferences and the co-champs can't get a national seed, something is broken.

Right, ignore the entire season and focus on a one game difference in the conference standings.
-1 permalink
5/28/2012 12:24:44 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Actually, just the opposite, I am considering the entire season, with emphasis on the Pac 12 season. Pretty simple math. Arizona has a better Pac 12 record at 20-10 versus Oregon's 19-11. Arizona is 8-2 in the last 10 games while Oregon is 7-3. Both teams have lost 17 games for the year and Oregon has played 5 more games giving them a higher overall win total.

I have no problem with Oregon being a top 8 seed based on their good year, but think given the choice between the two teams, Arizona deserved the spot.

Pac-10 Win Pac-10 Loss Pac-10 % Games Back Overall Win Overall Loss Overall % Last 10

UCLA 20 10 0.667 -- 42 - 14 0.750 9-1 W-4
Arizona 20 10 0.667 -- 38 -17 0.691 8-2 W-1
Oregon 19 11 0.633 1 42 -17 0.712 7-3 L-1

MiamiBaseball wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

Right, ignore the entire season and focus on a one game difference in the conference standings.

edited by BeaverBob on 5/28/2012
0 permalink
5/29/2012 7:50:13 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, my thoughts are they revolve around the vanderbilt sweep. Stanford did it, got rewarded, we did it.. got rewarded. It would be pretty ironic they actually win the whole thing. Would be kind of a 07 beavs team in disguise.
Miami baseball has actually been the only guy on this board who has backed me up a little. Thanks.
0 permalink
5/29/2012 7:50:57 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I'm joking guys.. about vandy..
0 permalink
5/29/2012 8:00:09 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
You really have to look at the teams that you have played. Arkansas pine bluff series was not a good move. I am surprised Casey O.K'd that one. Would have been better off at least scheduling seattle, like we did. Not perfect, but semi respectable. Hawaii would have been another good one for you guys. You could have added 4 more games to your season.. Looking at Arizona's schedule- Did they play a substantial part of their season at home? That could contribute, plus looking at New mexico State- they beat Arizona twice. This could be troublesome..
0 permalink
5/29/2012 9:16:45 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I don't know about the UAPB series, but Casey does not worry about RPI when scheduling a lot of the times. I think the Maine (?) series came about because he was talking to the Maine coach and decided to help the guy out by defraying travel costs or something because that coach couldn't find opponents (for that reason I guess). Something of that nature. Moot point anyway.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Arizona a NS?