Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG 64: Projecting the NCAA field (5.28)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/27/2012 11:33:32 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
Here you go, gang .... one last time:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=7082

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/27/2012 11:49:02 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
Kendall, unfortunately, I understand why Stanford is hosting a regional and OSU is not. Pat Casey was not a happy camper when the 16 host sites were announced today. Really though, how can the committee justify giving Stanford a regional and not OSU. They have the same records 18-12. OSU won the series. OSU finishes strong and sweeps a top 10 team. Stanford loses its last series against a mediocre team. OSU has to be on the road for nearly the first month of the season and Stanford largely stays at home. It seems to me that Stanford is living off of its early season predictions and being ranked number 1. I guess when you have the same people saying that Standford is the best team in the Country and then finishes tied for 4th with OSU, its no wonder.
edited by BeaverBob on 5/28/2012
0 permalink
5/27/2012 11:57:54 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
Kendall, another question for you. How can you give Oregon a number 7 seed when they finish in third place in the Pac 10, but don't give Arizona a top seed? Is there a bit of Horton bias here? Is it the Duck's nifty uniforms? Why even bother to keep track of conference games and and finishing strong to win the conference?
edited by BeaverBob on 5/27/2012
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:03:31 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
Going back from last year.. I put so much weight on that last "awesome series win versus our rivals... that should mean.." I learned that baseball is a long season, and things do not, and should not come down to one series. Look at some of the series you had that were awful.. Yeah, are worst was the last, but don't base are entire years work on that. Come on Beaver Bob.. get real.
Oh, yeah- Congrats on the win- hope it will get you where you guys need to go.
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:04:29 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall, another question for you. How can you give Oregon a number 7 seed when they finish in third place in the Pac 10, but don't give Arizona a top seed? Is there a bit of Horton bias here? Is it the Duck's nifty uniforms? Why even bother to keep track of conference games and and finishing strong to win the conference?
edited by BeaverBob on 5/27/2012

Check out our resume...
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:11:14 AM

ConnorOSU
ConnorOSU
Posts: 127
Kendall, just wanted to let you know how much I love these things. Every year since 2009, when you were back at Rivals, my cousin and I would always wait up to see where you have Oregon State and Oregon in. It's like a family tradition now!

Anyway, just wanted to understand your reasoning behind sending Oregon State to Baton Rouge. I'm guessing it has something to do with RPI, but even so, they have a win over Oklahoma, Arizona, two against UCLA, four against Oregon, and two against Stanford. That's ten quality wins, compared to a team like Louisville who's only quality wins have come against Michigan State, two against Kentucky, and two against St. John's.

What I am getting at is Louisville's RPI is at 42, while Oregon State's is ranked 32nd. So the Beavers beat them in both major categories, yet Louisville has virtually no travel and gets a two seed against the #17 team in the country (who also happens to be the only host not playing at home), while the Beavers are shipped out to play the 5th best team in the nation. Maybe you gave the Beavers and LSU an easier three seed than Lousiville and Purdue got, but I'm not sure if that makes up for the loss in travel and quality of host.

One last question, does winning the Pac-12 Championship really vault you up eight spots?

Thanks Kendall! This is the best time of year!
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:15:27 AM

ConnorOSU
ConnorOSU
Posts: 127
Riverduck wrote:
Going back from last year.. I put so much weight on that last "awesome series win versus our rivals... that should mean.." I learned that baseball is a long season, and things do not, and should not come down to one series. Look at some of the series you had that were awful.. Yeah, are worst was the last, but don't base are entire years work on that. Come on Beaver Bob.. get real.
Oh, yeah- Congrats on the win- hope it will get you where you guys need to go.


We had one bad series the entire season. What the hell are you talking about? Are you calling taking two from Washington State an "awful series"? Cause you lost two at home to them, and we went on the road and won two. How about Utah? Same result, accept we did it on the road.
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:27:07 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
RD, good to hear from you again. I could probably buy your logic, but it sure didn't hold true for OSU last year. Seems like the same scenario. Why would the Ducks deserve a top 8 seed this year when the Beavers didn't last year?


Riverduck wrote:
Going back from last year.. I put so much weight on that last "awesome series win versus our rivals... that should mean.." I learned that baseball is a long season, and things do not, and should not come down to one series. Look at some of the series you had that were awful.. Yeah, are worst was the last, but don't base are entire years work on that. Come on Beaver Bob.. get real.
Oh, yeah- Congrats on the win- hope it will get you where you guys need to go.
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:28:57 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
Yeah, a third place finish in the Pac 12 and an 0-3 finish. Why even bother to play the last weekend?


Riverduck wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall, another question for you. How can you give Oregon a number 7 seed when they finish in third place in the Pac 10, but don't give Arizona a top seed? Is there a bit of Horton bias here? Is it the Duck's nifty uniforms? Why even bother to keep track of conference games and and finishing strong to win the conference?
edited by BeaverBob on 5/27/2012

Check out our resume...
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:33:42 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
Well, somethings don't always go your way. I am sorry if you thought beating us was going to give you some magical wand declaring you the ultimate team of the universe. Grow up.. take it like a man and quit whining. If your team is so good, it does not matter where you play. You will make it to the CWS.
Cheers
RD
0 permalink
5/28/2012 12:37:00 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
BeaverBob wrote:
Yeah, a third place finish in the Pac 12 and an 0-3 finish. Why even bother to play the last weekend?


Riverduck wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall, another question for you. How can you give Oregon a number 7 seed when they finish in third place in the Pac 10, but don't give Arizona a top seed? Is there a bit of Horton bias here? Is it the Duck's nifty uniforms? Why even bother to keep track of conference games and and finishing strong to win the conference?
edited by BeaverBob on 5/27/2012

Check out our resume...

Maybe because you guys went 3-7 your last ten games..
We beat you guys, and thought that was enough.. who cares about the civil war. After you guys got spanked.. you still got to play ball and make it to a super. Now that really sucked.
edited by Riverduck on 5/28/2012
0 permalink
5/28/2012 1:39:53 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Posts: 1111
RD you ran your big mouth off about how you were going to sweep us at our house then the ducks got spanked...Sherfy sucked, Keudel sucked...aside from Healy the Ducks would've been better off staying at home. Take your lickens like a chicken and don't come on here and whine about how good Oregon is and how bad Oregon State is...you just got shown who the best team in the state STILL is.
0 permalink
5/28/2012 3:33:58 AM

ConnorOSU
ConnorOSU
Posts: 127
Here’s a breakdown of the final postseason projections, plus what teams Oregon Srare could face if those projections held.
http://www.buildingthedam.com/2012/5/28/3047756/multiple-projections-agree-beavers-are-a-two-seed-and-are-acc-bound
0 permalink
5/28/2012 6:16:28 AM

MiamiBaseball
MiamiBaseball
Posts: 218
BeaverBob wrote:
RD, good to hear from you again. I could probably buy your logic, but it sure didn't hold true for OSU last year. Seems like the same scenario. Why would the Ducks deserve a top 8 seed this year when the Beavers didn't last year?


Riverduck wrote:
Going back from last year.. I put so much weight on that last "awesome series win versus our rivals... that should mean.." I learned that baseball is a long season, and things do not, and should not come down to one series. Look at some of the series you had that were awful.. Yeah, are worst was the last, but don't base are entire years work on that. Come on Beaver Bob.. get real.
Oh, yeah- Congrats on the win- hope it will get you where you guys need to go.


Because your RPI on selection day last year was 20. I know the Civil War is important to you folks, but we don't select national seeds and regional hosts based on that one series. Come on, OSU fans, you're a CWS champion. It's time to get a handle on how all of this stuff works.
+1 permalink
5/28/2012 12:46:30 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
yeah, we were set up better this year too. The beavs were 3-7 there last 10 games.. we basically got a 9 game win streak snapped
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG 64: Projecting the NCAA field (5.28)





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software