Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lamest Announcers..

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/29/2012 8:51:35 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
No disrespect to the people who bring us sweet nectar.. but there are biased, and then more biased. Lets prep each other who's home field advantage also extends onto the radio waves..
0 permalink
5/29/2012 8:53:16 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, maybe I should just label it.. home field regional.
0 permalink
5/29/2012 9:09:20 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Lamest announcers? I thought this was going to be a warning/apology to Eugene regional visitors for Lame Ducks on the airwaves.

I have to say, and I admit some prejudice, but Mike Parker is one of my all-time favorite baseball announcers. He is pretty straight when giving the play-by-play, even though he will lean toward the Beavers. And you never know when a close play or a really bad call will get him yelling--YELLING--at an umpire and really showing his passion. Love that. Has a Vin Scully / Jon Miller presentation. And he really knows baseball and baseball history.
+1 permalink
5/29/2012 9:13:16 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
He does lean a lot towards the Beavers, but he also does a decent job at not going overboard (for example, was quick to say a call in OSU's favor was terrible), and he doesn't have annoying periods of silence that I seem to get when listening to duck football games, or most high school games. He fills the airwaves with announcing between plays.
0 permalink
5/29/2012 9:26:46 PM

borgguy
borgguy
i love parker, he is a bit of a homer, but with enough knowledge of the game that will call it pretty down the middle, but that is why i listen to the beaver broadcasts, you want YOUR play by play guy to be a bit of a homer... i will admit that after 'the play' on saturday the first thing i thought after "holy crap that was awesome!" was I cant wait to get in to the car and listen to the postgame to hear Parkers call, I bet he went absolutely nuts!"

i do like Allen as well. i mean i havent heard TOO much of him, but what i have seems pretty darn good, another guy very knowledgable about the games he broadcasts

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/29/2012 10:35:42 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Parker is awesome, Ducks announcer is bad....Cougar announcer is about as bad as they come!
0 permalink
5/29/2012 11:15:39 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Parker is good, but I still have that youtube napkin incident in my head. That was crazy.
0 permalink
5/29/2012 11:16:39 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I watched a cal stream once.. not sure who they were playing.. but man- those guys seemed really dorky.
0 permalink
5/29/2012 11:19:56 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
borgguy wrote:
i love parker, he is a bit of a homer, but with enough knowledge of the game that will call it pretty down the middle, but that is why i listen to the beaver broadcasts, you want YOUR play by play guy to be a bit of a homer... i will admit that after 'the play' on saturday the first thing i thought after "holy crap that was awesome!" was I cant wait to get in to the car and listen to the postgame to hear Parkers call, I bet he went absolutely nuts!"

i do like Allen as well. i mean i havent heard TOO much of him, but what i have seems pretty darn good, another guy very knowledgable about the games he broadcasts

Allen is funny- I think he sometimes forgets things.. but hey- he is who we have. BP is good. When watching Ozone broadcasts.. they usually leave the mic open when they are running the commercials on the radio. I pretty much crack up at what they are talking about. Worth the 10.00 bucks a month. I also crack up on the 5th inning comcast interview with Horton when the game is going. I want that job. I will never forget when we got beat by washington circa 10.. it was like extra innngs, and it was just back and forth.. WA won it on a bomb. I was so pissed I lost like two days of sleep. I have actually gotten alot better since those days. That beaver demolition show was actually pleasant. I have been conditioned by our stud pitchers last year. This year has been funny. Oh- bring in the reliever.. where done. Then we win. Hmm that is interesting..
edited by Riverduck on 5/29/2012
+1 permalink
5/29/2012 11:30:15 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Lamest announcers? I thought this was going to be a warning/apology to Eugene regional visitors for Lame Ducks on the airwaves.

I have to say, and I admit some prejudice, but Mike Parker is one of my all-time favorite baseball announcers. He is pretty straight when giving the play-by-play, even though he will lean toward the Beavers. And you never kno+w when a close play or a really bad call will get him yelling--YELLING--at an umpire and really showing his passion. Love that. Has a Vin Scully / Jon Miller presentation. And he really knows baseball and baseball history.

Come on DM.. I am just trying to keep it moving. Kind of like Oregonlive today. AF was fielding questions.. I was like the only one grilling him. They kept saying.. is anyone else interested in this regional? You buy his choke exclamation.. My thoughts are that Goss field is possessed, and any civil war game that the beavers get beat in any field on campus is channeled into that stadium. Every pitch I was like.. base hit, hr, hit by pitch.. or walk. Our pitchers were rendered useless. I am still laughing to this day. We got our butts kicked. OK- Can RD make this one.. Post 499 is regional. Post 500 is either Super or next year. Beware though.. I have the magic edit button. Holy Cow- my reputation went from a hard earned +3 to a -10. What the hey. The only reason you guys are coming back is me. Give me some reputation.. dam it!!
+2 permalink
5/30/2012 12:55:38 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I like Jerry Allen as a football announcer, and I WANT to like him as a baseball announcer, but talk about a can of corn. Suicide
Maybe he just needs a few years of baseball under his belt. Or maybe some kind Duck fan could send him some broadcast tapes of Mike Parker to listen to in the offseason. Brian Prawitz (sp?) is not bad. But nothing beats Parker and Big Jim Wilson: A historian and a former player who gives keen insight for those of us not at the ballpark to see with our mind's eyes.

Actually, I have listened to UCLA audio streams for some of their games, and (it sounds like students or very young guys) they are pretty even-keeled. Liked what I heard from them. Maybe MostUnknown can shed some light.

Also got to watch a Hawaii game (thanks, Opihi), and their announcer had the coolest baritone Hawaiian accent.

As far as reputation goes, if you irritate Beavers on this board, you will lose it. I noticed some Beaver slammed me (I wonder who...) for extending an olive branch to Ducks in the postseason at the tail end of the Civil War thread. Whaaaaa?
0 permalink
5/30/2012 1:15:21 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Dodger Matt wrote:
I like Jerry Allen as a football announcer, and I WANT to like him as a baseball announcer, but talk about a can of corn. Suicide
Maybe he just needs a few years of baseball under his belt. Or maybe some kind Duck fan could send him some broadcast tapes of Mike Parker to listen to in the offseason. Brian Prawitz (sp?) is not bad. But nothing beats Parker and Big Jim Wilson: A historian and a former player who gives keen insight for those of us not at the ballpark to see with our mind's eyes.

Actually, I have listened to UCLA audio streams for some of their games, and (it sounds like students or very young guys) they are pretty even-keeled. Liked what I heard from them. Maybe MostUnknown can shed some light.

Also got to watch a Hawaii game (thanks, Opihi), and their announcer had the coolest baritone Hawaiian accent.

As far as reputation goes, if you irritate Beavers on this board, you will lose it. I noticed some Beaver slammed me (I wonder who...) for extending an olive branch to Ducks in the postseason at the tail end of the Civil War thread. Whaaaaa?

I was a freshman at CVHS when Jim Wilson was a senior. Smarted off around him one day and nearly got my head took off for it. I probably deserved it. He was a nice enough guy though.

Extending an olive branch to a duck? Wow. Better hope the Beaver Association doesn't hear about that! They will revoke your dam housing permit and you'll have to sleep in a duck nest. I am pretty sure the B.A. by-laws state the most that can be extended to a duck fan by a Beaver fan is a nettle bush or a blackberry briar. But don't worry DM. I won't tell on you.
+1 permalink
5/30/2012 2:12:06 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Dodger Matt wrote:
I noticed some Beaver slammed me (I wonder who...) for extending an olive branch to Ducks in the postseason at the tail end of the Civil War thread. Whaaaaa?

No Beaver on Beaver hatred here (I figured you were referring to me because I was the most heated). Heck I didn't even go after RD...that's just childish.
edited by OpihiMan on 5/30/2012
0 permalink
5/30/2012 12:40:11 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
OpihiMan wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
I noticed some Beaver slammed me (I wonder who...) for extending an olive branch to Ducks in the postseason at the tail end of the Civil War thread. Whaaaaa?

No Beaver on Beaver hatred here (I figured you were referring to me because I was the most heated). Heck I didn't even go after RD...that's just childish.
edited by OpihiMan on 5/30/2012

Heck- I pissed off so many beavers last week my reputation went from 3 to like -20.. Who gives a rip about reputation.. You guys are all fine in my book, just root for the wrong team, that's all.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lamest Announcers..