Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » My take on the regionals

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/31/2012 9:04:26 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Here are my opinions, mostly just for discussion purposes. Not delving into the details of which team has the deepest bullpen or who’s better at fielding or batting, or any of that. Just looking at high level team numbers and running some analysis. Feel free to correct me if you take issue.

Hardest regionals (most even competition)
  • Miami: Lowest #1 (Miami), #2 (UCF) and #3 (Missouri State) are nearly equal to #1, third-highest #4 (Stony Brook).
  • Houston: #1 Rice and #2 Arkansas are almost equal, #3 (Sam Houston St.) is decent.
  • College Station: #1 (aTm), #2 (TCU), and #3 (Ole Miss) are nearly equal 2 seeds.
Dangerous pairs
  • Baton Rouge: #1 LSU and #2 Oregon State.
  • Eugene: #1 Oregon and #2 CS Fullerton.
  • Los Angeles: #1 UCLA and #2 San Diego.
  • Houston: #1 Rice and #2 Arkansas.
Cakewalks
  • Chapel Hill: UNC gets a #2 (ECU) that is practically a 4 seed, plus a four seed (#3 St. John), and a team that should be a 6 seed (#4 Cornell).
  • Tucson: Arizona is borderline national seed good. Sure, they had trouble with NMSU (#2), but they are a low three seed. Louisville (#3) and Missouri (#4) are good, but definitely four seed quality.
  • Gainesville: #1 Florida has a weak #2 (GaTech), and the third worst #4.
Most balanced
  • Tallahassee: Each team is about right for its seeding (IMO) But why did #4 UAB get in the dance? Stupid conference tournaments....
Weakest quartet
  • Raleigh: If NC State, Vanderbilt, UNC Wilmington, and Sacred Heart were to play every other quartet of teams, they would get beaten 1 through 4 by nearly all other regionals.
Strongest quartet
  • Palo Alto: Stanford and Pepperdine are very good, even though they aren’t the best 1-2 punch, and Michigan State is a weak #3, but Fresno State as a #4 makes up for it.
Gayest super regional “marriage”
  • Eugene, OR do you take Gary, IN to be your awful...: Did the selection committee “evolve” when they saw these two cities’ names and decide to pair them up?
+1 permalink
6/1/2012 5:01:43 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Here are my opinions, mostly just for discussion purposes.....

Sadly, fail.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » My take on the regionals