Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CWS predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/12/2012 8:45:57 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Not sure how this will work out. Made up rules and points on the fly, but I can probably iron out the wrinkles on the fly too, if any come up. Open to all baseball fans, of course. Pick the winners and runners-up in each CWS bracket.

There are four ways to win a CWS bracket:
  • 3-0: You beat the first team, beat the winner of the other game, then beat whoever emerges from the loser's bracket.
  • 3-1: You beat the first team, beat the winner of the other game, LOSE a game to the loser's bracket survivor, then beat that team.
  • 4-1: You beat the first team, lose to the winner of the other game, beat the winner of the loser's game, then beat the 2-0 team twice.
  • 4-1: You lose your first game, then go Oregon State by beating the other game one loser, beating the loser of the winner's game, then beating the 2-0 team (Rice) twice.
For our purposes, we are not concerned with the subtle distinction between the last two, so we have three options: 3-0, 3-1, or 4-1. What you will do is pick which team from each four-team bracket wins and whether they do it 3-0, 3-1, or 4-1. You will also pick the runner-up from each bracket and whether they finish 2-2 or 3-2.

Points are awarded on this basis:
  • Correctly pick winner 3-0: 9
  • Correctly pick winner 3-1: 10
  • Correctly pick winner 4-1: 11
  • Correctly pick runner-up 2-2: 7
  • Correctly pick runner-up 3-2: 8

If you pick the winner or runner-up but you are off in terms of games won/lost, subtract two points from the lower total. For example, if you pick Stony Brook to win 3-0 and they win 4-1, you get 9 minus 2.

You may also get up to half the points for picking one or the other team correctly but swapping winner and runner-up status. For example, if you pick Florida 3-0 and they finish 3-2 runner-up, you will get 4 points.
Here are the brackets. (I believe the upper one in this list is being called Bracket One and the lower one Bracket Two):

Seed. .ISR. .RPI. . Conf . . .Team
2 . . . 1 . . 2 . . .PAC . . .UCLA
. . . .55 . .52 . . .AmE . . .Stony Brook
3 . . . 4 . . 3 . . .ACC . . .Florida State
11. . . 7 . . 9 . . .PAC . . .Arizona

1 . . . 2 . . 1 . . .SEC . . .Florida
8 . . . 8 . . 8 . . .SEC . . .South Carolina
. . . .13 . .10 . . .SEC . . .Arkansas
. . . .43 . .48 . . .MAC . . .Kent State

A sample ballot would look like this:

• Stony Brook 3-0
  • UCLA 3-2
  • Kent State 4-1
  • Arkansas 2-2
+1 permalink
6/12/2012 8:51:26 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thanks DM. I'm going to have to get the good scotch out to make my picks. It should make for a fun evening. It's a good thing I have an OSU education. Imagine having a U of O degree and trying to comprehend. DM, do you have a version for dummies?

Dodger Matt wrote:
Not sure how this will work out. Made up rules and points on the fly, but I can probably iron out the wrinkles on the fly too, if any come up. Open to all baseball fans, of course. Pick the winners and runners-up in each CWS bracket.

• 3-0: You beat the first team, beat the winner of the other game, then beat whoever emerges from the loser's bracket.
  • 3-1: You beat the first team, beat the winner of the other game, LOSE a game to the loser's bracket survivor, then beat that team.
  • 4-1: You beat the first team, lose to the winner of the other game, beat the winner of the loser's game, then beat the 2-0 team twice.
  • 4-1: You lose your first game, then go Oregon State by beating the other game one loser, beating the loser of the winner's game, then beating the 2-0 team (Rice) twice.
For our purposes, we are not concerned with the subtle distinction between the last two, so we have three options: 3-0, 3-1, or 4-1. What you will do is pick which team from each four-team bracket wins and whether they do it 3-0, 3-1, or 4-1. You will also pick the runner-up from each bracket and whether they finish 2-2 or 3-2.

If you pick the winner or runner-up but you are off in terms of games won/lost, subtract two points from the lower total. For example, if you pick Stony Brook to win 3-0 and they win 4-1, you get 9 minus 2.

You may also get up to half the points for picking one or the other team correctly but swapping winner and runner-up status. For example, if you pick Florida 3-0 and they finish 3-2 runner-up, you will get 4 points.
Here are the brackets. (I believe the upper one in this list is being called Bracket One and the lower one Bracket Two):

• Stony Brook 3-0
  • UCLA 3-2
  • Kent State 4-1
  • Arkansas 2-2
+1 permalink
6/12/2012 8:57:44 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
A version for dummies? Hmm... I think it involves a dartboard and this: Bong
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:02:12 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
So, good to know what ASU74's winning secret is. I figured he had to be taking some mind enhancing drug to win the Super Regional Picks two years in a row

Dodger Matt wrote:
A version for dummies? Hmm... I think it involves a dartboard and this: Bong

edited by BeaverBob on 6/12/2012
+1 permalink
6/12/2012 9:14:28 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
Thanks DM. I'm going to have to get the good scotch out to make my picks. It should make for a fun evening. It's a good thing I have an OSU education. Imagine having a U of O degree and trying to comprehend. DM, do you have a version for dummies?

Dodger Matt wrote:

• Stony Brook 3-0
  • UCLA 3-2
  • Kent State 4-1
  • Arkansas 2-2

Well, I am mourning with a little Makers Mark. I started reading the fine print.. Sheesh. I feel like a newbie.
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:15:44 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
After watching the florida schools.. every player looked like Conforto smashing the ball. I say a florida school wins it this year..
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:16:23 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, have you given any thought about also posting on Rivals or posting a link to get some of the folks to come to PG to participate?

Dodger Matt wrote:

• Stony Brook 3-0
  • UCLA 3-2
  • Kent State 4-1
  • Arkansas 2-2
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:18:47 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Man looking at the bracket that Oregon would have played if they won. Brutal. Kent State does not have a chance.
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:19:02 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, its fine to mourn with Makers Mark (good stuff). However, try to stay away from Makers Mark in the morning.

Quote from RD
Well, I am mourning with a little Makers Mark. I started reading the fine print.. Sheesh. I feel like a newbie.
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:19:35 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I might get some scorn. Florida versus FSU. Ouch
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:20:20 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
RD, its fine to mourn with Makers Mark (good stuff). However, try to stay away from Makers Mark in the morning.

Yeah, that stuff makes me want to have it in the morning though. Won't do it.
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:28:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
DM, have you given any thought about also posting on Rivals or posting a link to get some of the folks to come to PG to participate?

I have in the past. Did not get many takers. It's one reason I jumped over here whole hog. That and the Nike ads and spam that proliferated once there was no moderation. They still have a better collection of nationwide fans there, and discussions are pretty good. But I hitch my horse in one spot.
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:29:42 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Maybe I should just be an Oregon fan. Root for both teams.. If I ever meet up with one of you guys, I will let you know why I have a little scorn for the beavs. But following Oregon gave me a way to be abnormal in the state of Oregon. Everyone loves the beavs because of their history.
+1 permalink
6/12/2012 9:35:32 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
Well, I am mourning with a little Makers Mark. I started reading the fine print.. Sheesh. I feel like a newbie. Yeah, that stuff makes me want to have it in the morning though. Won't do it.

Were you Marky-Marking it up on Opihi's "Horton hears a Boo" thread? You earned about 8 negative marks in that thread alone with one barely incoherent message after another. I'm gonna hafta check the times you posted to see if you were marky-mourning in the morning. Funny thing is, I was going to give you a thumbs-up on one of your posts to bring you even (you were -1 at the time). Now, well, what's the point.....
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:37:45 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I understand. A couple of know it alls too. I'm sure your wife appreciates that you are a monagomous poster.

Dodger Matt wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

I have in the past. Did not get many takers. It's one reason I jumped over here whole hog. That and the Nike ads and spam that proliferated once there was no moderation. They still have a better collection of nationwide fans there, and discussions are pretty good. But I hitch my horse in one spot.
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:42:06 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
UCLA 4-1
Arizona 3-2

Florida 3-0
South Carolina 2-2
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:42:42 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, I think you are too harsh on RD. How do we know that english isn't a second language for RD. Perhaps, we need an interpreter for UOnglish.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Riverduck wrote:
Well, I am mourning with a little Makers Mark. I started reading the fine print.. Sheesh. I feel like a newbie. Yeah, that stuff makes me want to have it in the morning though. Won't do it.

Were you Marky-Marking it up on Opihi's "Horton hears a Boo" thread? You earned about 8 negative marks in that thread alone with one barely incoherent message after another. I'm gonna hafta check the times you posted to see if you were marky-mourning in the morning. Funny thing is, I was going to give you a thumbs-up on one of your posts to bring you even (you were -1 at the time). Now, well, what's the point.....
0 permalink
6/12/2012 9:59:27 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, don't change a thing. We like the fact that you are abnormal.

Riverduck wrote:
Maybe I should just be an Oregon fan. Root for both teams.. If I ever meet up with one of you guys, I will let you know why I have a little scorn for the beavs. But following Oregon gave me a way to be abnormal in the state of Oregon. Everyone loves the beavs because of their history.
+1 permalink
6/12/2012 10:26:10 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, I also wanted to add that its not that ducks aren't appreciated, but that most people just love beaver. Men love beaver. Women love beaver. Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver and even Wally love the beav.

BeaverBob wrote:
RD, don't change a thing. We like the fact that you are abnormal.

Riverduck wrote:
+1 permalink
6/12/2012 10:33:47 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Well here goes...
Stony Brook 4-1
Ariz 3-2

Florida 3-1
South Carolina 3-2

Cinderella Seawolves takes home the hardware rock on

Edited by ASU74 how many times????

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CWS predictions