Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Championship

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/24/2012 4:28:09 PM

todd west
todd west
Posts: 4
Awesome matchup for the championship series. SEC vs PAC-12. Dynamic offense vs the dynamic pitching staff. This Arizona club is so fun to watch and are so aggressive, and SC is awesome to watch how they go about their normal business in Omaha. It'll be interesting to see if Arizona can handle the arms SC will throw at them, because they haven't faced pitching like this all year on the West Coast. Then again, there isn't an offense in the SEC as dynamic top-to-bottom as Arizona's.

Pitching will be interesting since AZ didn't lose a game and SC had to fight their way back from the losers bracket. Game one should be Konner Wade and Koumas. You would have to say advantage AZ with pitching in game one since Wade has been really good in the postseason. If he throws strikes, he can be a top arm because of his natural movement and sink. Hitters just pound the ball into the ground against him, and this AZ infield is very good. Koumas is dealing with a stress fracture in his throwing elbow, which should limit his velocity a bit but not his location. The kid came up big in the national championship game #1 last season, can he do it again?

Game two will likely depend on game one. If Arizona wins, then I expect to see Farris vs Roth. If SC wins game one, then I would expect Heyer vs Roth. I would expect Roth here regardless since 3-days rest doesn't seem like it would be too much for him to bounce back from, but I would expect AZ to only throw Heyer if game two is an elimination game for them.

Should be an outstanding series. You have to like SC's experience level, especially considering they knocked off favorites UCLA and Florida the past two years. I would think Arizona would be considered the underdog, but this is a club that only lost 2 series all year and can hit with just about anybody. When they get quality pitching like they have in Omaha, they are tough to beat.

Talent wise, I think AZ has more talent. But I thought UCLA and Florida had more talent than SC in 2010 and 2011 and SC swept those series. SC has their Omaha mojo, and that will be extremely tough to overcome because they just hang around all game and then find a way in the late innings to beat you.

INTERESTING NOTE: If you look back at the last eight national championship series, the underdog has won them all (based on national seed). In 2011, the 4-seed SC beat a 2-seed Florida. In 2010, the unranked SC beat the 6-seed UCLA. In 2009, the 3-seed LSU beat 1-seed TX. In 2008, the unranked Fresno State beat 8 ranked GA. In 2007, unranked Oregon State beat 3-seed NC. In 2006, unranked Oregon State beat 8-seed NC. In 2005, unranked Texas beat 7-seed Florida. In 2004, unranked Fullerton beat 1-seed Texas. If this holds true, AZ will be our new champion.

WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN:
GAME ONE: Arizona 6, South Carolina 5. I think AZ will take the series lead in game one in a very closely contested game. Have to like their pitching advantage, their offense advantage, and their veteran leadership on the field. Most of these AZ players have been starters in the Pac-12 since 2010, while I still question SC and their freshman starters at key spots (shortstop, catcher, center field).

GAME TWO: South Carolina 5, Arizona 2.
I think with a 1-0 lead, Arizona will choose to rest ace Kurt Heyer one more day and instead throw James Farris. He hasn't pitched in 3-weeks so he'll be rusty, and ace Michael Roth will be his normal self on 3-days rest and extend this series to a 3rd game.

GAME THREE: Arizona 8, South Carolina 3.
Ace Kurt Heyer will come in on 4-days rest and control the game like he always does and win the national championship for the Wildcats. SC will go with Jordan Montgomery, and I don't think the freshman matches up well against AZ (like Leinbrandt didn't). To beat AZ, you have to be able to show a premium fastball inside and keep their hitters honest, because AZ's offensive approach is to hit linedrives opposite field all day. They essentially take away the outside of the plate from the pitcher because they look to go oppo, so you need a guy that can get inside on their hands to keep them honest. I don't think SC has a guy that can do that (outside of Roth and his typical magic), and AZ WINS IT ALL.
0 permalink
6/24/2012 4:32:02 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Posts: 1045
Todd:
Welocme to PG. Nice write up, though I think UA will go 2-0, but then again I've been wrong before. See the threat with the poll.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/24/2012 4:40:55 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2424
Todd, you wouldn't happen to know collegebaseball10 on the Rivals board, would you?

Yes, nice writeup for you introduction to the PG forum. This day is dragging on for me waiting for this game one to start. And yesterday, nothing. I was so bored I did dishes and cleaned my work area. (I will have to reintroduce myself to my family in a couple of days. "Hi, I'm Matt, and I'm a college baseball-holic. Oh, and also a member of your family." Hi, Matt.

I hope Wade is on tonight. I see the Wildcats winning in two UNLESS Wade or Heyer is less than perfect. If either of their starts is a loss for Arizona, pack it in. Yes, the Wildcats have incredible bats, but SoCar's pitching looked pretty amazing to me. Then again, UNC's was touted when the faced the Beavers in two straight years, and OSU made that team look silly trying to defend small ball and ripping long balls, so maybe good hitting will beat good pitching this time. Who knows?

Let's let them play and see.
0 permalink
6/24/2012 8:58:01 PM

todd west
todd west
Posts: 4
Hey Dodger Matt, yeah same guy on the rivals board. I'm getting a little sick of the other board always turning into a trash talking session with that baseball2012 character, instead of quality analysis and opinions on college baseball. Thought I would check this board out.

Big win for the Wildcats tonight, a lot will depend now if they go Heyer vs Roth tomorrow on 3-days rest, or choose to rest him for a potential (and probable with Roth on the hill) Tuesday game.

Great game tho, love to watch the approach of the Arizona hitters. So solid.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 12:54:51 PM

1whoknows
1whoknows
Posts: 62
West Coast Ball v. East Coast Ball

PAC12 wins again is my prediction. Goodbye SEC.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 4:32:22 PM

todd west
todd west
Posts: 4
I think SC wins tonight behind Roth, and then AZ wins the title tomorrow behind Heyer.
edited by todd west on 6/25/2012
0 permalink
6/25/2012 4:48:02 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1463
Todd, you may be right. I'm a little dissapointed that Arizona isn't pitching Heyer. If it goes to game three, I give the edge to SC.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:05:34 PM

todd west
todd west
Posts: 4
Hey Beaver Bob, I disagree. I think holding Heyer is a great move, because they would have a HUGE pitching advantage in game three. If Heyer was to go tonight and lose to Roth, then it would be a coin-flip tomorrow, but with Heyer vs Montgomery, I think AZ has a big advantage.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out, but I think it's the right move. I hope SC wins tonight because I would like to see Heyer on the mound for all the marbles for AZ. He has meant the same to Arizona's program as Roth has to SC's.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:12:47 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
todd west wrote:
Hey Dodger Matt, yeah same guy on the rivals board. I'm getting a little sick of the other board always turning into a trash talking session with that baseball2012 character, instead of quality analysis and opinions on college baseball. Thought I would check this board out.

Big win for the Wildcats tonight, a lot will depend now if they go Heyer vs Roth tomorrow on 3-days rest, or choose to rest him for a potential (and probable with Roth on the hill) Tuesday game.


Great game tho, love to watch the approach of the Arizona hitters. So solid.

Yeah- tell everyone to move on over here. Would like to have more national stuff over here as well.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:13:38 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
todd west wrote:
Hey Beaver Bob, I disagree. I think holding Heyer is a great move, because they would have a HUGE pitching advantage in game three. If Heyer was to go tonight and lose to Roth, then it would be a coin-flip tomorrow, but with Heyer vs Montgomery, I think AZ has a big advantage.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out, but I think it's the right move. I hope SC wins tonight because I would like to see Heyer on the mound for all the marbles for AZ. He has meant the same to Arizona's program as Roth has to SC's.

I think Arizona wins with their batboy.. I just think this is their time. But I have been known to be wrong.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:14:35 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Posts: 1045
BB:
At frist I was enraged and agreed with you, but after reading TW's post, I got to agree with him.Logic

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:15:56 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Posts: 1045
Hay RD, I thought you would be sleeping thru this one, hung over from last nite.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:16:54 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
todd west wrote:
Awesome matchup for the championship series. SEC vs PAC-12. Dynamic offense vs the dynamic pitching staff. This Arizona club is so fun to watch and are so aggressive, and SC is awesome to watch how they go about their normal business in Omaha. It'll be interesting to see if Arizona can handle the arms SC will throw at them, because they haven't faced pitching like this all year on the West Coast. Then again, there isn't an offense in the SEC as dynamic top-to-bottom as Arizona's.

Pitching will be interesting since AZ didn't lose a game and SC had to fight their way back from the losers bracket. Game one should be Konner Wade and Koumas. You would have to say advantage AZ with pitching in game one since Wade has been really good in the postseason. If he throws strikes, he can be a top arm because of his natural movement and sink. Hitters just pound the ball into the ground against him, and this AZ infield is very good. Koumas is dealing with a stress fracture in his throwing elbow, which should limit his velocity a bit but not his location. The kid came up big in the national championship game #1 last season, can he do it again?

Game two will likely depend on game one. If Arizona wins, then I expect to see Farris vs Roth. If SC wins game one, then I would expect Heyer vs Roth. I would expect Roth here regardless since 3-days rest doesn't seem like it would be too much for him to bounce back from, but I would expect AZ to only throw Heyer if game two is an elimination game for them.

Should be an outstanding series. You have to like SC's experience level, especially considering they knocked off favorites UCLA and Florida the past two years. I would think Arizona would be considered the underdog, but this is a club that only lost 2 series all year and can hit with just about anybody. When they get quality pitching like they have in Omaha, they are tough to beat.

Talent wise, I think AZ has more talent. But I thought UCLA and Florida had more talent than SC in 2010 and 2011 and SC swept those series. SC has their Omaha mojo, and that will be extremely tough to overcome because they just hang around all game and then find a way in the late innings to beat you.

INTERESTING NOTE: If you look back at the last eight national championship series, the underdog has won them all (based on national seed). In 2011, the 4-seed SC beat a 2-seed Florida. In 2010, the unranked SC beat the 6-seed UCLA. In 2009, the 3-seed LSU beat 1-seed TX. In 2008, the unranked Fresno State beat 8 ranked GA. In 2007, unranked Oregon State beat 3-seed NC. In 2006, unranked Oregon State beat 8-seed NC. In 2005, unranked Texas beat 7-seed Florida. In 2004, unranked Fullerton beat 1-seed Texas. If this holds true, AZ will be our new champion.

WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN:
GAME ONE: Arizona 6, South Carolina 5. I think AZ will take the series lead in game one in a very closely contested game. Have to like their pitching advantage, their offense advantage, and their veteran leadership on the field. Most of these AZ players have been starters in the Pac-12 since 2010, while I still question SC and their freshman starters at key spots (shortstop, catcher, center field).

GAME TWO: South Carolina 5, Arizona 2.
I think with a 1-0 lead, Arizona will choose to rest ace Kurt Heyer one more day and instead throw James Farris. He hasn't pitched in 3-weeks so he'll be rusty, and ace Michael Roth will be his normal self on 3-days rest and extend this series to a 3rd game.

GAME THREE: Arizona 8, South Carolina 3.
Ace Kurt Heyer will come in on 4-days rest and control the game like he always does and win the national championship for the Wildcats. SC will go with Jordan Montgomery, and I don't think the freshman matches up well against AZ (like Leinbrandt didn't). To beat AZ, you have to be able to show a premium fastball inside and keep their hitters honest, because AZ's offensive approach is to hit linedrives opposite field all day. They essentially take away the outside of the plate from the pitcher because they look to go oppo, so you need a guy that can get inside on their hands to keep them honest. I don't think SC has a guy that can do that (outside of Roth and his typical magic), and AZ WINS IT ALL.

Hey- Great write up.. Thanks for sharing. We can always use new stuff, although we are spoiled with DM. I still can't believe the ducks beat Arizona at home. Must have been a down series for them. Although, the brand of ball they are playing, I don't think any pac team has seen them that way.. except for UCLA.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:18:43 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
ASU74 wrote:
Hay RD, I thought you would be sleeping thru this one, hung over from last nite.

well, I quit drinking again. LOL- All these awards sherfy is getting is a small consolation prize. Just hope he is not a flash in the pan, and he has a disappointing season. If he has another great campaign, I see him going real high in the draft.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:20:31 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Posts: 1045
RD you lost cause you probably convinced me the Ducks were invinceable & I picked them......I'll still be taking bribes....see old tread for details.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:40:40 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1463
RD, people that drink are happier and healthier. Here, read this.
http://now.msn.com/living/0624-wine-improves-life
Riverduck wrote:
ASU74 wrote:
Hay RD, I thought you would be sleeping thru this one, hung over from last nite.

well, I quit drinking again. LOL- All these awards sherfy is getting is a small consolation prize. Just hope he is not a flash in the pan, and he has a disappointing season. If he has another great campaign, I see him going real high in the draft.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:45:45 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Posts: 1045
Works for me!!!!!!!!

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/25/2012 7:08:17 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2424
Riverduck wrote:
I think Arizona wins with their batboy.. I just think this is their time. But I have been known to be wrong.

For those of you uninitiated with the rhetorical device RD just employed, it is called the "understatement". Nice job, RD.

And contrary to your claim, you might be right. Farris is looking as good as Roth so far, and he has a lead.
+1 permalink
6/25/2012 7:27:54 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2424
1whoknows wrote:
West Coast Ball v. East Coast Ball

PAC12 wins again is my prediction. Goodbye SEC.

Mmm, not so sure about that. SoCar is built like the Oregon State teams of 2005 to 2007. Small ball, pitching, and defense are often associated with "west coast ball", and gorilla ball has long been an SEC thing. These teams are almost reversed in that regard.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 7:28:36 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
BeaverBob wrote:
RD, people that drink are happier and healthier. Here, read this.
http://now.msn.com/living/0624-wine-improves-life
Riverduck wrote:
ASU74 wrote:
Hay RD, I thought you would be sleeping thru this one, hung over from last nite.

well, I quit drinking again. LOL- All these awards sherfy is getting is a small consolation prize. Just hope he is not a flash in the pan, and he has a disappointing season. If he has another great campaign, I see him going real high in the draft.

I drink one to two glasses a night. Need to take a small break.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Championship





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software