Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » BEAR DOWN Arizona 2012 CWS Champions!

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/25/2012 9:41:33 PM

Rowdy
Rowdy
I guess I am one of the happiest PAC-12 fans on this board. Arizona played the most solid post season campaign I have seen in quite some time. The bats were red hot all year but the starters matured at the right time, consistently went the distance and the defensive plays made in the CWS made this a tough team to beat....even intimidating these past few games as to how well they played and how they came together at the right times.
4 CWS titles...awesome! This team has what it takes to make it back to Omaha.
Congratulations to all the players and to a really fantastic USC team that created history in back to back titles and a stoic defense of a third.

I will see you all next year!Rowdy
+2 permalink
6/25/2012 10:54:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Congrats Rowdy and the Cats. Glad to see the Pac 12 is back on top.

Rowdy wrote:
I guess I am one of the happiest PAC-12 fans on this board. Arizona played the most solid post season campaign I have seen in quite some time. The bats were red hot all year but the starters matured at the right time, consistently went the distance and the defensive plays made in the CWS made this a tough team to beat....even intimidating these past few games as to how well they played and how they came together at the right times.
4 CWS titles...awesome! This team has what it takes to make it back to Omaha.
Congratulations to all the players and to a really fantastic USC team that created history in back to back titles and a stoic defense of a third.

I will see you all next year!Rowdy
0 permalink
6/25/2012 11:31:35 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yes, but the SEC still owns best record for the last five, ten, twenty, and thirty years. Pac-12 is still tops all-time, and it could retake best in the last ten and thirty with a couple more titles, but the SEC is front-loaded with SoCar's run.
0 permalink
6/26/2012 7:12:48 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Dodger Matt wrote:
Yes, but the SEC still owns best record for the last five, ten, twenty, and thirty years. Pac-12 is still tops all-time, and it could retake best in the last ten and thirty with a couple more titles, but the SEC is front-loaded with SoCar's run.

I was considering creating a new topic discussing this but this topic is close enough.

What are ya'lls opinions on conference pride?

For the longest time it seemed to me that the rest of the country was bashing SEC fans for cheering for each other and wanting success for the conference if their team wasn't playing. It was considered sad that fans were boasting for their conference and not their own team.

Now I have been seeing the same thing here with the Pac 12 pride.

I for one never did understand the conference pride thing, the way I see it is if someone else is playing for the title then that just means that LSU isn't.

I was rooting for Arizona against South Carolina, because I didn't want to see another SEC school win its third title, and three peat. A feat LSU couldn't accomplish during its 90's dominance. Maybe it is jealously b/c South Car. is having a great run and starting to get up there with LSU.

Anyways, I'm just curious to see what you guys opinions are on this.
0 permalink
6/26/2012 1:13:30 PM

ASU74
ASU74
IMO:
Family, Country, University, Conference.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/26/2012 1:14:07 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Rowdy:
Did ya go to the game?

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/26/2012 6:16:53 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I'm more of a regionalist. Anything west coast. Graduated from a third-tier school that was Division II at the time, but I have friends and family who have affiliations with ASU, USC, UCLA, OSU, and I have always rooted for the Pac. That usually meant rooting for the Trojans on New Year's Day to kick Michigan's or Ohio State's ass in the Rose Bowl. When I moved to Oregon, I adopted one of the worst sports schools in the area because they were perpetual underdogs and that allowed me to go see a game whenever I wanted. Plus those stinking Ducks didn't even have baseball. I mean what kind of crap school doesn't have baseball?

Anyway, I will always root for a Pac-12 team (except for the communist schools...in the Gay Bay, Seattle, People's Republic of Eugene), then an Oregon or Cal team, or anything on the west coast, then anything west of the Continental Divide. After that, it devolves to who is the underdog (root for) or which school has jackasses as fans, famous alumni, or administrators (root against); which school belongs to a conference that seems to be winning it all lately (root against), which school seems to have decent kids and coaches (root for). But it really starts at tthe pacific coastline and move eastward.

I know you asked, but did you really care to hear all that?
0 permalink
6/26/2012 9:15:56 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, at the time who needed baseball when their track squad was/is all world. Oregon is like the USC baseball team back in the 70's. Nike was born their... And it is also cool to have a good friend whose grandpa was bill bowerman. Anyway- you can thank OSU for the recent resurgence at Eugene and baseball. After the super experience.. I don't think baseball will ever go again. Just way too cool of a spot. It will take a few more years to get the big time crowds that the arizona schools get, but in time. World record in the decathalon? Now that is an athlete.. Even if he is alumni.
http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/blog/eye-on-olympics/19425743/ashton-eaton-collects-mega-bonus-from-nike-for-world-record
0 permalink
6/27/2012 7:45:59 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Dodger Matt wrote:
I'm more of a regionalist. Anything west coast. Graduated from a third-tier school that was Division II at the time, but I have friends and family who have affiliations with ASU, USC, UCLA, OSU, and I have always rooted for the Pac. That usually meant rooting for the Trojans on New Year's Day to kick Michigan's or Ohio State's ass in the Rose Bowl. When I moved to Oregon, I adopted one of the worst sports schools in the area because they were perpetual underdogs and that allowed me to go see a game whenever I wanted. Plus those stinking Ducks didn't even have baseball. I mean what kind of crap school doesn't have baseball?

Anyway, I will always root for a Pac-12 team (except for the communist schools...in the Gay Bay, Seattle, People's Republic of Eugene), then an Oregon or Cal team, or anything on the west coast, then anything west of the Continental Divide. After that, it devolves to who is the underdog (root for) or which school has jackasses as fans, famous alumni, or administrators (root against); which school belongs to a conference that seems to be winning it all lately (root against), which school seems to have decent kids and coaches (root for). But it really starts at tthe pacific coastline and move eastward.

I know you asked, but did you really care to hear all that?

Haha, I appreciate the enthusiastic response. Just to clarify, who are the communist schools? Washington, Oregon, and can't think of the other??

Well maybe I am just bitter. Occasionally I root for an SEC team, but this year was not the case. Not a fan of Arky and Fla, and South Carolina just for the history they were after.
0 permalink
6/27/2012 7:29:27 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Seriously? The worst of the worst: the Calestine Golden Camels (aka UC Berserkley). The COW (Cal, Oregon, Washington) schools are the big lefties, although Stanford probably looks normal because of its proximity to the Calestinians. I have to say though that the kids on the Cal BASEBALL team look decent, and in that respect it's hard to root against them. But I know that institution. When you have a student body government that opposes flying an American flag on campus on 9/11 because they don't want to hurt the feelings of their students, there is something seriously wrong with the "thinking" going on there.

I worked with a Cal grad for a while. When the Beavers stomped them at their place in football one year (when Cal was ranked 2 in the nation, I think), I had great fun telling him I had seen video of Cal fans leaving the stadium who were so dejected they THREW AWAY their flammable US flags WITHOUT EVEN LIGHTING THEM ON FIRE! Hundreds of American flags in Berkeley trash cans, still in their protective plastic baggies, and not a single one singed. Big Grin
0 permalink
6/27/2012 10:16:53 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, your very articulate discription of the "COW" schools is dead on. I might also add that Eugene is the home of the anarchist. Eugene also banned Christmas trees and Christmas from any public representations. I'm always amazed at how Phil Knight is able to put up with such liberal and elitist views as conservative as he is.

I really appreciate land grant schools such as OSU and WSU.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Seriously? The worst of the worst: the Calestine Golden Camels (aka UC Berserkley). The COW (Cal, Oregon, Washington) schools are the big lefties, although Stanford probably looks normal because of its proximity to the Calestinians. I have to say though that the kids on the Cal BASEBALL team look decent, and in that respect it's hard to root against them. But I know that institution. When you have a student body government that opposes flying an American flag on campus on 9/11 because they don't want to hurt the feelings of their students, there is something seriously wrong with the "thinking" going on there.

I worked with a Cal grad for a while. When the Beavers stomped them at their place in football one year (when Cal was ranked 2 in the nation, I think), I had great fun telling him I had seen video of Cal fans leaving the stadium who were so dejected they THREW AWAY their flammable US flags WITHOUT EVEN LIGHTING THEM ON FIRE! Hundreds of American flags in Berkeley trash cans, still in their protective plastic baggies, and not a single one singed. Big Grin
0 permalink
6/28/2012 1:44:00 AM

beavos88
beavos88
Got to give it up to the SEC. Though, the pac twelve ain't chopped liver. The left coast brand of baseball in general is solid. I believe the pac12 is a close 2nd. then, big12 and acc. any d1 school in cali is pretty solid. lots of people and lots of schools. The WCC with schools like Pepperdine, San Diego, Loyola Marymount, Santa Clara......The Big West with the Dirtbags of Long Beach State, Fullerton State, and UC Irvine. San Diego State, Cal Poly, UC Santa Barbara, even Cal State Bakersfield? Lots of talent on the left side. Pac 12 is a great conference. So is the SEC. Hedegoba88 wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:

I was considering creating a new topic discussing this but this topic is close enough.

What are ya'lls opinions on conference pride?

For the longest time it seemed to me that the rest of the country was bashing SEC fans for cheering for each other and wanting success for the conference if their team wasn't playing. It was considered sad that fans were boasting for their conference and not their own team.

Now I have been seeing the same thing here with the Pac 12 pride.

I for one never did understand the conference pride thing, the way I see it is if someone else is playing for the title then that just means that LSU isn't.

I was rooting for Arizona against South Carolina, because I didn't want to see another SEC school win its third title, and three peat. A feat LSU couldn't accomplish during its 90's dominance. Maybe it is jealously b/c South Car. is having a great run and starting to get up there with LSU.

Anyways, I'm just curious to see what you guys opinions are on this.
0 permalink
6/28/2012 8:58:52 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
BeaverBob wrote:
DM, your very articulate discription of the "COW" schools is dead on. I might also add that Eugene is the home of the anarchist. Eugene also banned Christmas trees and Christmas from any public representations. I'm always amazed at how Phil Knight is able to put up with such liberal and elitist views as conservative as he is.

I really appreciate land grant schools such as OSU and WSU.

Dodger Matt wrote:

Ahhhh, I was forgetting Cal. So when people on the left coast refer to the COW they are referring to anti american institutions?

Wow, never heard about that at Cal and the american flag. Pretty sad what this country is coming to. Someone needs to take it upon themselves to fly a flag on the campus!!!

No Christmas trees?!?! Damn, what is going on over there? Do ya'll at least have Santa?
0 permalink
6/29/2012 8:07:11 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Hedegoba88 wrote:
No Christmas trees?!?! Damn, what is going on over there? Do ya'll at least have Santa?

Santa Barbara. But I understand under Governor Moonbeam's smiling visage, she just got gay-married to Santa Monica.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » BEAR DOWN Arizona 2012 CWS Champions!