Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » World Series Notes-Wildcats' title the school's 18

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/26/2012 9:30:46 AM

ASU74
ASU74
June 26, 2012 Odds and ends after UA's 4-1 victory over South Carolina lifted it to a 2-0 sweep in the Championship Series and College World Series title Monday night in Omaha... *The NCAA baseball crown is the 18th national title in history and fourth in baseball (also 1976, 1980 and 1986), joining the Wildcats' previous titles in softball (8), women's golf (2) men's basketball, men's golf, men's swimming and diving and women's swimming and diving. *Arizona's four baseball titles rank fifth all-time among Division I programs, tying Cal State Fullerton and Miami (Fla.). Only Southern California (12, LSU (6), Texas (6 and Arizona State (5 have won more baseball titles than the Wildcats. *Arizona's CWS crown is the 16th for the Pac-12 Conference, a total which leads all conferences. *Arizona won its last 11 games and 18 of its last 20 in 2012, a great time of the year to get hot. *Head Coach Andy Lopez became only the second coach to win a Division I baseball national title at two different schools (Pepperdine, 1992). Augie Garrido is the only other coach to do so (Fullerton '79, '84 and '95; and with Texas '02 and '05). *Arizona became the 14th different team and ninth different school to win a national title without losing a game in the NCAA Tournament. Cal and USC (twice) are the only other Pac-12 schools to do so. *In each of the Wildcats' last four Championship Finals appearances, the squad came through with the prize. It had fallen in its first three national finals games (1956, '59, '63). *The short game helped the Cats get the title. It had 20 sac bunts during the NCAA Tournament. Opponents had zero, and third baseman Seth Mejias-Brean's force out at second on one sac attempt in the final South Carolina game helped get that done. *The Cats were the first team since 1957 -- in 55 years -- to have its starters in each CWS game pitch at least 7.1 innings. Onlyu four other teams had such stalwart starting pitching in the College World Series.

*Arizona outscored its opponents 47-12 in two-out RBI over its last 20 games.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/26/2012 11:51:48 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
And nowhere did you mention Tracie Ruiz-Conforto and her synchronized swimming AIAW championships for Arizona.
    "Ruiz-Conforto and fellow Arizona Wildcat Candy Costie won gold in the women’s synchronized duet at the 1984 games in Los Angeles. Ruiz-Conforto also earned gold for her solo performance. Ruiz-Conforto and Costie were instrumental in achieving AIAW Championships for Arizona in 1981 and 1984."
Also just found out this, while searching for details on Tracie's college career. Didn't realize Michael played in Williamsport. I'm betting this kid will also play in Omaha within the next two years. (Sorry...didn't mean to hijack your Arizona thread with Conforto stories. Things like that just happen around me, I guess.)
0 permalink
6/27/2012 2:12:46 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I think Oregon has 21.. be interesting how other pac school stack up to national championships. Another Oregon tidbit.. yeah I know this is a AZ thread.. but I am turning historic. Oregons baseball team played in 1877. Wow.
edited by Riverduck on 6/27/2012
0 permalink
6/27/2012 3:38:32 AM

beavos88
beavos88
Track Town Pizza titles.
0 permalink
6/27/2012 3:39:30 AM

beavos88
beavos88
ASU74 wrote:
June 26, 2012 Odds and ends after UA's 4-1 victory over South Carolina lifted it to a 2-0 sweep in the Championship Series and College World Series title Monday night in Omaha... *The NCAA baseball crown is the 18th national title in history and fourth in baseball (also 1976, 1980 and 1986), joining the Wildcats' previous titles in softball (8), women's golf (2) men's basketball, men's golf, men's swimming and diving and women's swimming and diving. *Arizona's four baseball titles rank fifth all-time among Division I programs, tying Cal State Fullerton and Miami (Fla.). Only Southern California (12, LSU (6), Texas (6 and Arizona State (5 have won more baseball titles than the Wildcats. *Arizona's CWS crown is the 16th for the Pac-12 Conference, a total which leads all conferences. *Arizona won its last 11 games and 18 of its last 20 in 2012, a great time of the year to get hot. *Head Coach Andy Lopez became only the second coach to win a Division I baseball national title at two different schools (Pepperdine, 1992). Augie Garrido is the only other coach to do so (Fullerton '79, '84 and '95; and with Texas '02 and '05). *Arizona became the 14th different team and ninth different school to win a national title without losing a game in the NCAA Tournament. Cal and USC (twice) are the only other Pac-12 schools to do so. *In each of the Wildcats' last four Championship Finals appearances, the squad came through with the prize. It had fallen in its first three national finals games (1956, '59, '63). *The short game helped the Cats get the title. It had 20 sac bunts during the NCAA Tournament. Opponents had zero, and third baseman Seth Mejias-Brean's force out at second on one sac attempt in the final South Carolina game helped get that done. *The Cats were the first team since 1957 -- in 55 years -- to have its starters in each CWS game pitch at least 7.1 innings. Onlyu four other teams had such stalwart starting pitching in the College World Series.

*Arizona outscored its opponents 47-12 in two-out RBI over its last 20 games.
0 permalink
6/27/2012 3:45:35 AM

beavos88
beavos88
Got to give it up to Coach Lopez and his team. Lopez has revitalized the Cats baseball program. By all accounts a class coach. The Cats peaked perfectly. Their pitching held up and they hit the ball as usual. Super baseball team and coach. UA was always known as a basketball power. Now, add baseball to the list and maybe football with the hiring of Rich Rodriguez.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » World Series Notes-Wildcats' title the school's 18