Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Home Field Advantage

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/2/2013 10:28:07 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
I remember hearing a while back that something was maybe going to be tweaked so that away games had a higher value for RPI to try to even out the extreme advantage by teams like the Arizona schools that have just one or two away series before conference play.

Did this ever happen, or is it still in the "wishful thinking" stage?
0 permalink
3/2/2013 10:58:15 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
SB,

Here's an article on it.

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/2/15/3991104/2013-college-baseball-rpi-changes-what-effect-will-they-have
0 permalink
3/2/2013 11:15:52 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
The author, Jon Johnston, wrote twice that LSU was "snubbed" last year by not being selected for postseason. Excuse me. They hosted a regional (in which Oregon State played). I think he meant two years ago....

Anyway, I'm with Boyd: The changes won't have much effect on selection. The committee has realized over the last few years at least that the RPI is flawed and haven't been giving it as much weight in their selection process. By tweaking the formula, the RPI values will align closer to what they want in terms of validating whom they select, but it won't prevent them from selecting a northern team with 40 wins and a 40-something RPI over a southern team with 30 wins and a 20-something RPI. They want to spread the bids and regionals to northern areas whenever they can justify it. Tweaking the RPI means their selections will just not seem as radical or outrageous to those who got left out.
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Home Field Advantage