Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Draft Insider Forum » College player observations - Weeks 1-3

Insider-based subscribers can receive updates and reports from the PG staff on some of the top draft-eligible players from across the nation.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/6/2013 10:10:11 AM

pebert
pebert
Administrator
Welcome back to the PG Draft Forum! Based on the number of views the threads have received, I know you're out there and welcome you to participate in the conversation.

Obviously the college season started several weeks ago, and I have been able to catch some games on TV and online. Kendall Rogers covers the sport like no one else between his own daily features, tweets and posts on his blog. I plan to continue to use this forum to share my own thoughts from the players I am able to see over the course of the spring.

That will include (weather permitting) taking in the expected Sean Manaea/Tom Windle matchup at the Metrodome next week as Indiana State travels to Minneapolis to take on Minnesota.

I'm going to start with one of my favorite players eligible for the 2014 draft:

Michael Cederoth: Built tall and strong with a high waist, very projectable and without a doubt you're going to hear comparisons to Stephen Strasburg between now and next June due to SDSU connection. Cederoth doesn't have Strasburg's electric overall repertoire, or command, but he throws hard (reports have him up to 97/98 this spring, sitting in the 93-95 range) and has a potentially dominant breaking ball. What is most impressive is the way he throws, using his size incredibly well to throw on a downward plane. Physically, and his delivery, are very reminiscent of Kevin Gausman, another player I was (am) very high on.

Adam Choplick: A very big-bodied freshman LHP that has been handling the Sunday role behind Oklahoma's exciting Friday/Saturday combo of Dillon Overton and Jonathan Gray. Choplick's stuff isn't nearly as electric as those two, but for his age, and size, he does a pretty good job commanding his 3-pitch repertoire. The biggest question with Choplick is how much better can he get? He's 6-8/260 or so, but looks to throw in the upper-80s, topping out in the low-90s in the early innings. He can add/subtract off of his curveball, and throws a changeup that he currently lacks feel for but there's enough there to get better. His breaking ball lacks consistent bite at this stage (or at least in this game), but again, there's enough there to build off of and he can throw it for strikes. Physically he resembles Brett Mooneyham, with broad shoulders, and is pretty smooth and repeats well for a big guy.

Dillon Overton: Oklahoma's Friday starter, has been enjoying very good season outside of Friday's start against Scott Frazier and Pepperdine. If you watched this game is was really boring, as neither team looked particularly enthused to be out on the field. It was cold and damp, which may have played a part in this. Overton did have 7 Ks through 3 IP, giving up all 6 runs in the 4th inning (going 6 innings in the game). He has a pretty big leg kick, which he even uses at times out of the stretch. His delivery is very smooth and repeatable, and he moves the ball around well in the strike zone. He doesn't have big velo (reports on the velocity of all Oklahoma pitchers is exaggerated from what I've heard), but he can still dial it up to the low-90s. He also throws a nice changeup with the perfect/exact arm action as his fastball, serving as the perfect 'slow ball.' He needs to tighten up his breaking ball which currently is a slurvy sweeper, but again, he may show better with this pitch other weeks. It's easy to see why he's gaining steam as a 1st rounder come June.

Scott Frazier: His start was similar opposite of Overton in that he went 6 innings, but gave up one huge inning in a 7-run third. Frazier is huge, iwth an exaggerated, multi-piece delivery and obvious emotions expressed on the mound. He commands his fastball well, with reports on it being up to 96-97 this spring. Similar to his past profile, he has yet to develop consistent secondary offerings, but it is clear he is working to develop these pitches. Even during the big 3rd inning, he wasn't hit that hard, although quite a few balls were hit in the air. Basically, without much of a breaking ball or off-speed pitch his fastball is exposed that much more no matter how hard it is thrown. He did throw one incredibly nasty curveball to close out the 5th inning, so it's in there, he just needs to find it more often. As it stands right now he could develop into a one-inning reliever with a big fastball in the mold of Kyle Farnsworth.
0 permalink
| you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » Draft Insider Forum » College player observations - Weeks 1-3