Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Draft Insider Forum » Prep Class - Catchers

Insider-based subscribers can receive updates and reports from the PG staff on some of the top draft-eligible players from across the nation.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/8/2013 12:37:29 PM

Pegasus
Pegasus
How can I make sense of this Amazing class of prep catchers?!? I know they are the riskiest of business come draft time but how would you rank the below on hitting?
Hit Power
Jeremy Martinez 80 60
Jon Denney 75 75
Zach Collins 75 65
Reese McGuire 70 60
Nick Ciuffo 65 60
Chris Okey 65 55
Brian Navarreto 55 75
0 permalink
3/12/2013 2:08:35 PM

pebert
pebert
Administrator
Without a doubt the 2013 crop of high school catchers may go down as the best ever. You're also right that it is a very risky demographic.

As good as it is, your scouting grades are much too high pretty much across the board. An 80 hitter for instance is among the best historically in MLB. That's a Ted Williams type of grade. 80 power is Ruth-ian. Keep in mind that 50 is MLB average, and there's certainly nothing wrong with MLB average.

With 80 being near one-of-a-kind, that 70 is elite and 60 is above average. As good as the crop is, when all is said and done I don't think the draft produces 5-7 elite hitting prep catchers.

And there's a lot of people out there who don't drop an 80 grade on anyone, no matter how impressive the tool.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » Draft Insider Forum » Prep Class - Catchers