Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Nate Yeskie Rant

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/12/2013 10:20:23 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm not sure what frustrated me more, coming home and seeing that one of our dogs had diarrhea and pooped all over the house, or turning on the radio and hearing:” Cole Brocker leaves with the bases loaded.” Or perhaps, the two glasses of wine I had tonight have me in a fowl (sorry RD) mood. If you remember last year, Brocker single handedly pitched the Beavers out of the Pac 12 title race by blowing two consecutive games against Arizona at home. I guess I shouldn’t blame Brocker, but Yeskie, who put him in both games and allowed him to get hammered. Had the Beavers won either of those games, they may have been hosting a Super instead of traveling to LSU.

Now, on to my rant. Sorry, I guess I have already started it. Since Dan Spencer left as OSU's pitching coach, the Beaver pitchers have never been the same. All you have to do is look at the numbers of serious arm and back injuries, especially in the last several years including: Josh Osich, Taylor Starr, Jace Fry, and Ben Wetlzer this year.

Yes, I know the Beavers had to lose at some point this year, but I wonder if it had to be tonight. They had perhaps their best pitcher, Dan Childs pitching tonight. However, I wonder if the fact that he did not start during the Texas State Series affected his confidence. Just yesterday, Kendall wrote an article on Childs indicating he would be a high draft choice and talked highly about his work for the US Baseball team. Why in the world would Yeskie not start Childs in place of Wetlzer this weekend. At this point, Wetzler might be the 4th or 5th best OSU pitcher. The starting line up for this last weekend should have been: Matt Boyd, Dan Childs, and Andrew Moore. This line up should then be copied for the Arizona series.
To keep my rant moving on, last year, Tony Bryant was a pre-season all-American closer. Bryant failed to live up to this expectation and could barely get the ball across the plate by the end of the year. An effective pitching coach could have easily worked with Bryant and fixed this problem. This year, Bryant has barely pitched any closing innings. Yes, the freshmen closer is doing a great job, but why not get Bryant involved early in the season and let him build up confidence.
Scott Schultz is another example of an under used Beaver pitcher that excelled later in the year last year. The Beavers have used him sparingly this year.
The group of guys that sit next to me at the Beaver games (season ticket holders) can hardly contain themselves when Yeskie walks by to the bullpen or out to he mound. Two of the guys have sons that either pitch or play for the Beavers and based on their sons’ opinions, have little or no respect for Yeskie. They say he is arrogant and does not listen to the players.
[font=Tahoma]Okay. I’ve got it out of my system. I’m ready for tomorrow’s game.[/font]
0 permalink
3/13/2013 12:25:54 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Nice +1
0 permalink
3/13/2013 9:51:23 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Yeah, when I saw Brocker in there.. it flashed me back to the bullpen of late.. It is so delicate- one false move as a pitching coach and you can screw your staff over at a blink of an eye. Wetzler, unlike child probably needed a good boost of confidence.. I think the hype gets the players confidence a bit high as well. This loss if you guys bounce back today.. which I know you will, will put you in a great position coming into a crucial 3 week series vs some of the toughest teams you will face all year. As for your pitching coach, I am not sure if injuries are to blame from his style.. pitching is just tough on one's arm. Horton is a head coach, and has years of experience with his pitching.. It is where he hangs his coat for strength IMO.. still had a terrible string of injuries last year.. and this year there are some faces missing as well. I am not sure where Casey focuses his energy.. but my thoughts are management, defense, and hitting. I could be wrong.. While Horton is reverse. His wrinkle shows by winning with minimal producation with the bat, sound defense, and solid situational pitching. BB- just be happy that they are having a tough time fitting Child in there.. that is a good thing. But yeah, I agree- he is a leader, and needs to be treated as such.
0 permalink
3/13/2013 9:52:00 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Meaning the bullpen of the last few years.. This year your pen has been stellar.
0 permalink
3/14/2013 2:21:43 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I know Kendall has a little bromance with Yeskie...but I'm going to say it.

FIRE YESKIE!
+1 permalink
3/14/2013 4:15:51 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
And the prize goes to....................................OPIHI!!!! for wanting to fire Yeskie first in 2013!!!!
+1 permalink
3/14/2013 8:20:52 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
This sounds like Hog fans and Butler (hitting coach). There's already fire Butler threads lol.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Nate Yeskie Rant