Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » High School Baseball » Tennessee Draft Prospects

High School Baseball Forum
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/6/2011 9:51:07 AM

poptime19
poptime19
Who are some High Schoolers that will get a look in Junes Draft?
0 permalink
3/7/2011 7:59:53 AM

bcollman
bcollman
Administrator
Over the last few years, Tennessee has had an average of 5-10 HS players picked in the draft. This could be a strong year for the state, LHP Daniel Norris is ranked #1 in the class by PG and could be a first rounder. Farragut's Nick Delmonico has also gotten early round buzz, especially if he is drafted as a catcher. His teammate LHP Phillip Pfeifer is likely a high draft as well.

Other players include OF Mookie Betts, SS Jake Overbey (his brother Preston, now at Ole Miss, was a 42nd rounder by the Rays last year), OF Will Cooper, and RHP David Hess.
0 permalink
3/9/2011 11:07:16 AM

UpstateMavericks
UpstateMavericks
LHP Kevin Connell PG ranked #6 in the state of Tennesee. Big kid who has been up to 92.
0 permalink
3/9/2011 12:35:33 PM

tgold
tgold
Administrator
I got to see Connell in person in 2009. Kevin has a chance to be really good. Command was a bit behind at the time but I really liked the arm. Has a high ceiling, likely as an overpowering late inning reliever, although if he has improved his command and stamina he has a chance to be a starter. One of many TN players who has a chance to make a big move up draft boards this spring. Hope he's coming along well.

A few other guys from TN that I've seen in the past who I expect will get looks from MLB organizations this spring:

Dylan Bosheers - Lawrence County
Parker Wormsley - Webb
Zander Wiel - Blackman

I know there are more draft prospects in TN out there but these are the ones that I've seen who come to mind.
0 permalink
3/10/2011 7:59:03 AM

UpstateMavericks
UpstateMavericks
Yeah Connell has a chance to turn into whatever he wants. He has played for me for the last 2.5 years and I have really seen the kid improve. If he keeps that up he has a chance to be something special. Mechanics are a little jerky but I think that is an easy fix. Ive seen him at 82-84 and be absolutely dominant and then be 88-90 and get knocked around a little bit also vica versa. Kid has the heart of a lion which will really help.....that kid wants the ball at all times. He drove down to Jupiter this year to pitch our first game (which he won).....left the game drove all through the night to only get back in time for his football game friday (starting QB) then hopped on a plane that evening so he could fly back down to Jupiter to spend with his team and to play if needed. Couldn't ask for a better kid.
edited by UpstateMavericks on 3/10/2011
0 permalink
3/12/2011 7:17:08 AM

theskipper
theskipper
UpState,

You have said everything I would want to know about that kid. Very impressive kid!!! In this age when so many are babies, it's great to see someone like this Connell kid.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » High School Baseball » Tennessee Draft Prospects