Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Where are all the baseball fans?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/17/2013 7:19:52 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
With a few exceptions, this board is about 95% pac12 fans. Was looking at rivals and there are 5 current threads with postings today and one of those started on the 2nd of March.

What the heck is gong on? No one follows college baseball anymore? The economy sucks so badly people can't afford to post on free boards?

Well I say to hell with them. As long as I can talk about, look at, hear and feel beavers for free (I'm wearing a OSU hat ya filthy minded animals) and hang out in here with a bunch of likewise minded beaver loving folks, I'm all for it. Even when things suck, us beaver lovers are always ready to step in and give a

Well, you know what I mean.
0 permalink
3/17/2013 10:55:07 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Hey- at least you guys have won a few national championships, and don't tease your fanbase as much as the ducks. Heck, I now know why I am the only fan who really follows them besides parents of the players. lol
0 permalink
3/18/2013 1:00:57 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I think there is a healthy following of college baseball, especially down south...just not a lot of people that want to blog/discuss. Typically you see an influx of fans for a team when they start playing well and gain national attention. I am extremely surprised there isn't more Wildcat fans around, especially considering they just won a national championship last year.
0 permalink
3/18/2013 6:01:38 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Whatever the reasons are, most people just never made the transition over to this site. There was a lot of discussion on the old Rivals board. I can't tell you why people haven't made it over here, but they haven't
0 permalink
3/18/2013 8:48:35 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
For me, I have a paid membership at rivals, and I refuse to pay for two sites, and I'd rather have beaverblitz all year than some good baseball content part of the year (though blitz does have some great baseball content... JP's Weekly Walkoff is top-notch). Coming to another site that, like Scout, has two sections--a premium and a free section, and seeing that Kendall does not interact anymore with the feebies, that was a big detractor. But I caved because I didn't want to miss the slew of fellow fans who aren't at Blitz, and I didn't want to miss the weekly Pac prediction.
0 permalink
3/18/2013 9:54:27 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
A huge reason is the just the rise of social media and twitter, for instance.

Notice the old Rivals board might have one or two new topics a week, at most. I remember back in the days when my Big 12 message board had on average about 1,500-2,000 fans in the middle of a Monday. Then, things slowly declined for a few years ... then picked up when we first launched our national message board on Rivals, then declined again. Now, you don't see any college baseball board with any sort of traffic at all.

Just the way of the times, I think .... but eventually, things rotate back to old habits, and the board will get hopping again.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/18/2013 11:21:58 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
I hope so. Kendall, I really miss your days at Rivals! Hopefully this place picks up a bit though. FB's advertising for the Pac-12 predictions added a little bit this week.
0 permalink
3/18/2013 11:51:59 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Kendall must be getting sick of all us Beavers...
+1 permalink
3/18/2013 11:52:15 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
0 permalink
3/18/2013 12:26:41 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
OpihiMan wrote:
Kendall must be getting sick of all us Beavers...

I for one never get sick of the beavers. Sorry couldn't resist.

I was much more active on the old rivals board, and came here when that shut down. Not as active here but I visit the site daily and lurk around all the discussions. I would say the lack of other LSU fans and SEC fans in general is what keeps me from posting more. Just too lazy to create my own topics and in game threads.
+2 permalink
3/18/2013 1:08:07 PM

borgguy
borgguy
i actually was not atcitve at all on rivals, i lurked around to get some info but i never participated. I do like PG though. part of the reason college baseball doesnt have the following of the other sports is partially how the media covers it. from little league world series untill the college world series, there is almost no national attention for baseball outside of the MLB. ESPN has their SEC game of the week but that is all. very rarely are any plays on SC Top10. which is sad, i think

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
3/18/2013 3:08:38 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Kendall wrote:
A huge reason is the just the rise of social media and twitter, for instance.

Notice the old Rivals board might have one or two new topics a week, at most. I remember back in the days when my Big 12 message board had on average about 1,500-2,000 fans in the middle of a Monday. Then, things slowly declined for a few years ... then picked up when we first launched our national message board on Rivals, then declined again. Now, you don't see any college baseball board with any sort of traffic at all.

Just the way of the times, I think .... but eventually, things rotate back to old habits, and the board will get hopping again.

That could definitely be a reason. I wasn't insinuating that people stayed at the Rivals board, just that for whatever reason, they never made the transition to here. I wish more folks would
0 permalink
3/18/2013 6:40:22 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Rivals still gets some traffic, quite a bit some days. You have some prolific posters over there, like 2Bulldogs, who has a LOT to say about a lot of things...and he has a way of poking his finger in people's eyes so they respond. Not saying that's a bad thing. Just saying it generates lengthy discussions. If you get that guy over here, the traffic here will jump dramatically. There are other fan groups that could thrive here as well. Vanderbilt fans and Gamecock fans for example.
0 permalink
3/18/2013 6:45:29 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Somebody there started an SEC prediction thread this week, I noticed. 23 posts and over 750 views.
0 permalink
3/18/2013 8:05:22 PM

TealDevil
TealDevil
There are other boards out there, believe me.
0 permalink
3/19/2013 9:12:19 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Never ever get tired of too many Beavers fans on here!

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
+2 permalink
3/19/2013 9:32:22 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
A wise statement from someone visiting the land of Beaver!

Kendall wrote:
Never ever get tired of too many Beavers fans on here!
+1 permalink
3/19/2013 9:57:59 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Dodger Matt wrote:
Rivals still gets some traffic, quite a bit some days. You have some prolific posters over there, like 2Bulldogs, who has a LOT to say about a lot of things...and he has a way of poking his finger in people's eyes so they respond. Not saying that's a bad thing. Just saying it generates lengthy discussions. If you get that guy over here, the traffic here will jump dramatically. There are other fan groups that could thrive here as well. Vanderbilt fans and Gamecock fans for example.

Is the old rivals site a paysite now?
0 permalink
3/19/2013 9:19:33 PM

TealDevil
TealDevil
No, still free. Though the baseball board is almost dead.
0 permalink
3/20/2013 9:27:19 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Hmm, I always thought it was just gone.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Where are all the baseball fans?