Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Acceptable tactic or not??

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/18/2013 12:43:34 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
I am curious to know what others opinions are of this situation.

After hitting two 2-run Homeruns friday night, and a solo homerun saturday Mississippi St. threw at the head of LSU first baseman Mason Katz with the first pitch in his first at bat of Sundays game. The ball did not hit him but narrowly missed behind his head.

Mississippi st. pitcher said that they just wanted to set the tone for the game.

Is this an ok tactic or considered a bush league move?
0 permalink
3/18/2013 12:57:57 PM

borgguy
borgguy
bush league. the only way it would even be ok to throw at him would have been if he showboated after hitting either of the home runs. even then you dont aim for the head, ever, that is not ok.

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
3/18/2013 3:07:07 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
The only "sportsmanlike" rules I ever care about are:
1. Don't EVER aim to injure, or nearly injure a player. This includes head shots or near-misses. What happens if you miss your "miss" and hit it?

2. There is no such thing as unwritten rules. Whatever you can do to win that does not break rules or put someone in physical danger, do it. Squabbling over rules (like a runner walking over the pitcher's mound) is like the rich people in the Titanic movie who are angry that Leo's character is allowed in their dining room.
+1 permalink
3/18/2013 3:32:18 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
SouthernBeaver wrote:
The only "sportsmanlike" rules I ever care about are:
1. Don't EVER aim to injure, or nearly injure a player. This includes head shots or near-misses. What happens if you miss your "miss" and hit it?

2. There is no such thing as unwritten rules. Whatever you can do to win that does not break rules or put someone in physical danger, do it. Squabbling over rules (like a runner walking over the pitcher's mound) is like the rich people in the Titanic movie who are angry that Leo's character is allowed in their dining room.

I agree with this mostly. Don't see the problem with throwing inside to back a hot batter off the plate. But throwing at someone just to throw at them is a bit much, especially at the head. These are college pitchers, they don't have complete control of their command like the pros. And like Southern Beaver said, what if you miss your "miss".
+1 permalink
3/18/2013 5:04:59 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Bush League, unsportsmanlike, immature, classless, stupid, and disgraceful.
+1 permalink
3/18/2013 5:21:06 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Agreed on all counts OpihiMan
edited by Heels2Omaha on 3/18/2013
+1 permalink
3/18/2013 6:33:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Any intentional throw at the head is unacceptable. Any intentional throw just behind the had is worse because a batter's natural reaction when he sees a ball coming in to his face is to back off the plate, which puts his had right in the trajectory of the intentional miss. You want to drill the guy in the ribs cuz your pitching sucks, go at it. Just expect payback. But you throw at a guy's head, you deserve everyone's reprobation. (For those of you in Rio Lindo, that means strong condemnation bordering on disgusted rejection of your claim to humanity.)
+1 permalink
3/18/2013 8:04:41 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
Never at the head. I can see like others, throwing well inside. These guys don't have the pinpoint accuracy of MLB pitchers so its very dangerous at this level IMO.
0 permalink
3/19/2013 10:03:14 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Thanks for the opinions. Glad everyone hear agrees, wanted to make sure I wasn't in the minority with my way of thinking.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Acceptable tactic or not??