Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Draft Insider Forum » College observations, Weeks 5 - Reed, Beede

Insider-based subscribers can receive updates and reports from the PG staff on some of the top draft-eligible players from across the nation.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/22/2013 8:02:22 AM

pebert
pebert
Administrator
Not a ton of notes from last week's college baseball action as I took in the Sean Manaea/Tom Windle matchup at the Metrodome. Be sure to check out that feature if you haven't already, as I've included video of each pitchers.

Tyler Beede - Beede is clearly adding strength to his tall, slender frame. His delivery continues to be in rhythm and smooth. He has good fastball velocity, and while he's always around the zone his command could use some improvement. I think this could improve significantly once he learns to attack hitters more, as he currently works away from both RHH and LHH, not uncommon at the college level. His changeup is a plus pitch, thrown with the same arm velocity and overall action as his fastball, and the pitch just puts on the break right as it hits the zone. His breaking ball however continues to need work, and identity. I haven't seen him snap a very good one in two starts this year, and that was also a problem last year and even while in HS.

Catching Beede was fellow former PG All-American Chris Harvey. I didn't bear down on Harvey too much, but it was hard not to notice how impressive he was blocking balls in the dirt. He's receiving more regular playing time with Spencer Navin on the shelf. Harvey is in his second year after attending Vandy 1 year early last season after graduating early from HS.

A.J. Reed - I hadn't seen Reed pitch prior to his outing last week against Florida, and walked away impressed. He's a big, country strong kid, 6-4/245, and throws with a low 3/4 delivery making him difficult to pick up while throwing in the upper-80s to low-90s. His delivery and stuff is very similar to that of Kevin Ziomek, as he spots his fastball well, the pitch has some movement on it, and he throws a soft, sweeping yet effective slurvy curveball. He works the outer half well vs. RHH, and stays cool and composed on the mound. He also serves as Kentucky's cleanup hitter and has obvious power given his frame, and he doesn't get cheated at the plate. His future at the next level is on the mound.

Austin Cousino - Another sophomore, draft-eligible in 2014 like Reed (and both Beede and Harvey). Cousino (pronounced KOOZ-i-no) is pretty well put together with a very good approach at the plate. I don't know how much power is in his swing, but he handles the bat well, and did a good job going with a high FB and poking it to LF as a LH hitter in the 1st inning vs. Jay Carmichael and the Gators. He's a disruptive player on the basepaths, and manages to get on base at a high clip.

Jay Carmichael - After seeing Carmichael pitch in relief a few weeks ago the Gators, and he made me look good by stepping into the Friday night starter role. His curveball is his out pitch, with the ability to drop it in for strikes and spike it in the dirt for awkward swings. He throws the pitch a little too much, as he has enough giddy-up on his FB, but doesn't presently command it as well as he could/should.

Josh Tobias - Tobias also made me look good after I suggested his value is at 2B, and he started the game there to try and give Florida's offense a boost. He proved to be capable at 2B, and in particular started a really smooth double-play in the first inning, and also hit a solo shot in the 3rd inning. The blast probably isn't a HR with wood, but the ball rocketed off the bat on a high fastball the opposite way to RF (as a RHH). The hit alone was indicative of how well the ball jumps off his bat despite his smaller stature.
0 permalink
3/22/2013 8:07:31 AM

pebert
pebert
Administrator
Forgot to add thoughts on Ryan Harris. He's not striking out a lot of batters this year, but his approach is to pitch to contact with his sinker/slider repertoire. He showed a much better slider in this game than the last time I saw him, and with an exaggerated delivery it seems probable that his future will continue to be in a relief role. He could start at the college level, and with his stuff has a knack for inducing weak ground balls. He could evolve into a Bob Wickman type of short reliever that is brought in to get a double play ball.
0 permalink
9/5/2013 11:11:43 AM

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
( http://www.sheptrade.com )

(Discount Air jordan shoes) $36,
(Air Max shoes) $35,
(Nike shox shoes) $36,
(Handbags) $35,
(Sunglasses) $16,
(wallet) $18,
(Belt) $17,
(T-shirts) $20,
(Jeans) $37,
(NFL/MLB/NBA)Jerseys $25,

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★