Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 predictions: 2013 Week 7

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/27/2013 12:51:12 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Games start on Thursday this week because of Easter. So get your votes in by Wednesday night. I would have had this out earlier, but I had a kitchen sink leak to fix this evening. Rankings listed are ISR/RPI.

This week’s games
  • #14/25 UCLA (17-4) at #25/14 ASU (13-7)
  • #68/96 Stan (11-8) at #52/78 WSU (15-8)
  • #143/167 USC (9-15) at #50/33 Cal (15-10)
  • #120/120 Utah (12-10) at #105/157 Ariz (15-11)
  • #175/133 UW (6-16) at #14/17 Ore (18-6)
  • #1/1 OSU (21-2) at #30/48 XSD (San Diego) (16-9)
An example ballot would look like this:

ASU 2-1
Stan 2-1
Cal 2-1
Ariz 2-1
Ore 3-0
XSD 2-1

Week 7 Series

• UCLA visits Tempe to take on Arizona State. Looking at the ISRs and RPIs of these schools, which are almost exactly reversed, this looks like a good close matchup. The Devils have lost their first two series, but enter the weekend with some swagger after no-hitting the #1 Beavers Saturday. Will UCLA show it is deserving of such high praise from Perfect Game for a fifth week in a row? Or will they perform in another adequate but less than stellar manner and finally convince the experts that they are not quite worthy of a top ten ranking, let alone a national seed? Will ASU’s freshman phenom, Ryan Kellogg continue his hot streak of pitching in the Pac-12?

• Stanford is still ranked in the top 25 in most polls, although in both the ISR and RPI rankings, they are well below Wazzu. After suffering a series loss to lowly Utah last week, they look like mortals. The Cougars, on the other hand, have won 6 of their last 8 and lead the league in offense with a .333 team BA. Stanford is better in the pitching department, but they’ll be playing in Pullman.

• USC goes to Berkeley to take on Cal. The Bears are a surprise in the league, with respectable top 50 ISR/RPI rankings. USC’s pitching is in the cellar with a team ERA of 4.67. Cal is one slot higher at 4.23. USC’s batting average is 9 points higher, so we’re looking at two fairly mediocre teams in terms of statistics who have very different win-loss records.

• It’s hard to believe that Arizona, the defending national champions, are winless in six conference games and Utah is the one who just took 2 of 3 from Stanford, but that’s Pac-12 baseball. Coming off that Palo Alto victory and playing at home in SLC has to give Utah some lift, but the Wildcats are not going to remain winless forever. This seems as good a time as any to break out. Statwise, these teams are virtually tied in team ERA (1/100th difference). But offensively, Arizona is second in the Pac at .308, and Utah is last at .241, a mere 3 points lower than Oregon. Interesting to note that Arizona is rated better than Utah in the ISR, but considerably worse in the RPI. Which rating system will prove a more accurate indicator of performance?

• The blowout special features Washington at Oregon. Both teams are anemic at the plate: UW .251; UO .244 for 9th and 10th respectively. Oregon’s pitching (4th in the conference) is better than UW’s (9th) by more than a full run. But, this is a regional rivalry, and there is no love lost between these two universities in most sports, so be prepared for some sparks. The Huskies might not be very good, but they have enough talent to make occasional flashes. And Oregon’s offense does not give its pitching much room for error.

• OSU takes on San Diego for this week’s nonconference series. The Toreros were swept to start the season by city rival San Diego State, a team the Beavers in turn swept in four games, and it once again looked like the preseason hype about USD was overstated. But the Toreros have quietly built up a 16-9 record and are close to breaking back in to the national rankings...and probably will, if they can make a statement against a ranked team. USD has a team BA of .298 to OSU’s .275. Team ERA goes to the Beavers, 1.64 to 3.08. San Diego State and San Diego killed the Beavers back to back games to start last season, 18-2 and 13-2 respectively. The Beavers have paid back the Aztecs already this season with a four-game sweep by a combined score of 22-2. Time for the Toreros?
0 permalink
3/27/2013 10:01:14 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, I'm going to be down in the City of peace, love, unshaven women, and anarchy on Saturday. One of my Duck buddies invited me to the game. If you are at the game, I'll be the normal looking guy in the crowd.
+2 permalink
3/28/2013 1:00:41 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
Hey- we have another UO fan. Yippee. We keep winning and they will come. I am the original Duckie here though. I have put up with more crap than any sane fan.

Looks like a Duck infusion here. You should be happy.

But I think many probably skipped over something important you said, so I wanted to point it out. You have "put up with more crap than any sane fan". For you to make this statement on the heels of going 21st century schizoid man on us and assuming two more personalities makes me feel guilty about giving an insane man so much crap. So I want to publicly apologize, RD. I will try to give an equal amount of crap to sane fans from now on.
+2 permalink
3/28/2013 2:45:31 PM

Rockduck
Rockduck
Or maybe I was a influence? Go figure. Been rooting for the ducks all this time, and no takers.. I join up the utes.. and two days later.. Trend setter..
+1 permalink
3/28/2013 3:47:16 PM

JCR
JCR
Dodger Matt,
I will be a bona fide fan for at least the next 5 years, son will be playing ball starting next year. Copy on the pick order, it will correct form here on out.
+1 permalink
3/29/2013 3:43:16 PM

borgguy
borgguy
since DM has not yet done any recap of thursdays actions, I shall take up the torch at least for today.

SAN DIEGO 7 OREGON STATE 4 -
The University of San Diego baseball team scored four unanswered runs to stun the No. 2 ranked Oregon State University Beavers, 7-4, Thursday evening in a non-conference game at Fowler Park.XSD LEADS SERIES 1-0

ARIZONA STATE 4 UCLA 1

Right-hander Trevor Williams pitched seven straight shutout innings to lead the 24th-ranked Arizona State University baseball team to a 4-1 win over No. 4 UCLA on Thursday night in front of 3,501 fans at Packard Stadium in Tempe, Ariz.Williams (4-2), who struck out six, did not allow a run until two outs in the top of the eighth to earn the win. He gave up eight hits and one walk in 7 2/3 innings, and routinely stranded UCLA runners on third base before he was replaced by left-hander Matt Dunbar.
ASU LEADS SERIES 1-0

OREGON 5 WASHINGTON 3 (10)
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Oregon (20-6, 6-1 Pac-12) got on the board early scoring for just the third time this season in the first inning and the first time with Reed on the mound. Tolman doubled scoring Baumgartner from first and then came home to score on a RBI single by Scott Heineman to give the Ducks a 2-0 lead.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Huskies rallied to take a 3-2 lead with one run in the fourth and two runs in the fifth. Ryan Wiggins pulled Washington within one with a RBI in the fourth, while Joe Meggs and Robert Pehl each picked up a RBI in the fifth.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Trevor Dunlap (0-1) got the loss for the Huskies allowing two runs on one hit in 0.2 innings. Washington (6-17, 2-5 Pac-12) starter Jared Fisher gave up just two runs in six innings.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Ducks and Huskies will play game two of their three-game series Friday night at 6 p.m. at PK Park. Tommy Thorpe will take the mound for Oregon, while Austin Voth is scheduled to pitch for Washington.[/font]

OREGON LEADS SERIES 1-0

STANFORD 3 WASHINGTON STATE 0

For the fifth straight outing, Mark Appel shelved double-digit strikeouts as No. 23 Stanford blanked Washington State at Bailey-Brayton Field, 3-0. Appel scattered four hits and worked his way out of a number of jams to strand nine Cougars for the complete-game victory. Eight of the Washington State runners stood in scoring position
Appel (4-2) walked one of the 36 batters faced Thursday evening to help Stanford (12-8 overall, 2-2 Pac-12 Conference) snap a three-game skid. His 10 strikeouts brought his career total to 306, moving him into eighth place on the Cardinal's all-time chart.Since striking out three in his Feb. 15 season debut at Rice, Appel has fanned 61 in his last five starts while permitting three earned runs over the 42.0 inning stretch. The win was his third complete-game victory in 2013.STANFORD LEADS SERIES 1-0

USC 4 CAL 3

The USC baseball game took the first game ever under the lights at California's Evans Diamond by a score of 4-3 on Thursday evening.The Trojans (10-15) plated the eventual game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning, as a two-out RBI single dribbler down the third base line by Adam Landecker (Calabasas, Calif./Calabasas HS) scored Timmy Robinson (Huntington Beach, Calif./Ocean View HS) from third base.
USC LEADS SERIES 1-0

ARIZONA 4 UTAH 3
Johnny Field had four hits and Zach Gibbon's drove in the eventual game-winning run in the seventh inning as Arizona snapped a six-game losing streak with a 4-3 victory over Utah on Thursday evening at Hi Corbett Field.
ARIZONA LEADS SERIES 1-0

standings will come next post

--
GO BEAVS!
+1 permalink
3/29/2013 4:08:00 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Borgguy;
Great pitchhit. Thumbs Up

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
3/29/2013 6:23:57 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
borgguy wrote:
since DM has not yet done any recap of thursdays actions, I shall take up the torch at least for today.

Borg, have at it. This is a busy weekend for me, so the mantle is yours. Nice job.
+1 permalink
3/29/2013 7:36:59 PM

ASU74
ASU74
borgguy wrote:
I read UT as UTAH hence the difference

What do you expect from a quacker? Do they teach spelling in Eugene or do they have to rely on SpellCheck?hehe

Kendall: Can you add a SpellCheck feature?

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
3/29/2013 9:33:43 PM

borgguy
borgguy
ASU74 wrote:
borgguy wrote:
I read UT as UTAH hence the difference

What do you expect from a quacker? Do they teach spelling in Eugene or do they have to rely on SpellCheck?hehe

Kendall: Can you add a SpellCheck feature?

tomorrows score will read River/RockDuck

--
GO BEAVS!
+1 permalink
3/30/2013 6:00:18 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Pac Standings going into today:
Ore 7-1
OSU 5-1
UCLA 5-3
Stan 3-2
ASU 4-4
Cal 4-4
USC 4-4
WSU 2-3
Ariz 2-6
Utah 2-6
Wash 2-6

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
3/30/2013 8:58:57 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
ASU74 wrote:
borgguy wrote:
and now the standings after day one. New guy UO Sportsguy takes the early lead and SouthernBeaver, behind only picking 5 series instead of 6 takes up the cellar. for the new guys the first number next to a name is the maximum points available based on your picks, the second is the fewest points possible. in event of a tie the highest minimum point gets the edge.

1)UOsportsguy 28 8
2)Opihiman 27 7
3)BeaverBob 27 5
T4)Hogfan4life 26 8
Beaverstate69 26 8
T6)Rowdy 26 7
JCR 26 7
Riverduck 26 7
9)Florida Beaver 26 6
T10)Go Ducks 25 7
Oregon StHomer 25 7
Dodger Matt 25 7
WildCard85 25 7
14)Rockduck 25 6
15)Borgguy 24 7
16)ASU74 24 6
17)SouthernBeaver 22 6

River er RockDuck had the same picks...how can their Hi-Lo be different? It looks like "Rock" had a typo of UT (UCLA) on the 1st pick....everything else below are the same. Both picked Ariz 2-1. Damn this Duck's Schizofrina makes things difficult.....will the RealDuck please confirm.Read Report.
FYI The basement sucks. Atleast I got SB under me.

Rock Duck is out to pasture. Last I saw of him he dropped his rope on the last pitch of stairway to heaven.. and he decided to stay.
+1 permalink
3/27/2013 1:37:13 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
borgguy wrote:
apologies in advance friends, but I will be out of town and not have computer access thursday night/ friday morning so day one standings will have to be delayed untill friday afternoon.

No apologies necessary. This is a completely voluntary board and any input is greatly appreciated , never required and no poster taken for granted.
+1 permalink
3/27/2013 4:13:41 PM

Rockduck
Rockduck
OpihiMan wrote:
ASU 3-0
WSU 2-1
Cal 2-1
Ariz 3-0
Ore 2-1
OSU 3-0

Coming from the Mountains.. I heard you Beavers get beat up by those pesky ducks all the time.. is that true?
+1 permalink
3/27/2013 4:15:48 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Hey Rockduck.. welcome to the board.. I would stay away from them beavers..
Jesus christ I am pathetic. I now post for two awful baseball teams.
+1 permalink
3/27/2013 4:17:05 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Hey- we have another UO fan. Yippee. We keep winning and they will come. I am the original Duckie here though. I have put up with more crap than any sane fan.
+1 permalink
| you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 predictions: 2013 Week 7