Stan 2-1
OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
5/11/2012 12:47:02 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 13

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I totally forgot the Beavs and Utah game started at 11am. I was pleasantly suprised to turn on the radio station and find the Beavs up 6-0 in the bottom of the 3rd.
5/11/2012 12:51:45 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, thanks for the update on Adam Duke. I was wondering what his status was. I saw him pitch last year and was very impressed. As I remember, he throws a heck of a sinker.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Beavers bat around, sending 11 to the plate, and lead 6-0 after 0.5 innings.

More on the Duke family. From O-Live:

"Adam Duke, whom Casey called one of the best pitchers the team had ever signed, is still working his way back from a shoulder injury and has been at home in Utah for the past few weeks, tending to his ailing mother. The Dukes’ father, Dev, died tragically in 2001 when a fireworks stand he was operating to raise money for his sons’ team, blew over on him during a windstorm."

edited by BeaverBob on 5/11/2012
5/11/2012 12:53:39 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Not only does Conforto have a pretty mom, he is a beast. He now has 61 rbi's and 10 homers after a 3-run blast.
5/11/2012 2:39:58 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I always get nervous when Brocker comes into the game. Hope he has some good stuff.
5/11/2012 3:09:32 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Joey Matthews and Michael Conforto collide in center field after Mathews catches a fly ball. Because Conforto took the ball out of Matthew's glove, it was not considered a catch and the hitter earns an in the park homerun. Glad to see Mattews is okay. However, Beavs lead is down to one run.
5/11/2012 3:14:27 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Seems like a silly rule. It happended earlier this year. Parker also spoke of a similiar siutaton with Elllsbury severa years ago when Ellsbury and Ryan Gibson collided and Gibson took the ball out of Ellsbury's glove.

Dodger Matt wrote:
I was away from the radio for that play, and I still don't understand what happened. Why is it a home run if another player removes the caught fly ball from another player's glove?
5/11/2012 3:25:18 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I found the definition of a catch in the 2011-2012 College rule book. I have copied the liink to the book and the language below.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BA12.pdf
Called Game
SECTION 14. One in which, for any reason, the umpire-in-chief terminates
play.
Catch
SECTION 15. The act of a fielder in getting secure possession in the hand or
glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it, providing the fielder does not use
the cap, protector, pocket or any other part of the uniform in getting possession.
In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall demonstrate complete
control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.
a. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of
making a throw (i.e., reaching for the ball in the glove) after the catch, the
ball shall be judged to have been caught.
b. If a fielder falls over or through the fence after making a catch within the
field of play, the batter shall be retired and the ball is dead (see 6-1-d and
8-3-m).
5/11/2012 3:30:04 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Great question DM. I think the key is the following lanugage:

In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall demonstrate complete
control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional

Dodger Matt wrote:
I know if a player catches a ball and lands over the fence, if he throws the ball back in from outside the park, it's a home run. That kind of makes sense as it is coming from outside the field of play. But what sense does it make that a ball--caught inside the park, removed from the glove by another player, and which doesn't touch the ground--is not an out? If a player touches a popup, say it even pops out of his glove, and another player catches it, it's an out. What if a player shovels a ball directly from his glove to another player without touching it with his hand? Does this stupid rule mean that if a player catches a ball, walks over to the pitcher and holds his glove open for the pitcher to take the ball, that the runner is safe if the pitcher takes the ball?

Does MLB have this very same stupid rule?
5/11/2012 3:44:07 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Obviously, not a well thought out rule

Dodger Matt wrote:
Bottom of the 9th, Home team is down by 3 runs. Bases loaded. A line drive to the pitcher, rocketing off the aluminum bat at an unbelievable 300 mph. The doomed pitcher catches the line drive, but unfortunately, the impact of the ball kills him. His corpse lies several feet back of the mound, with the ball firmly grasped in his smoldering glove. All the runners raced around the bases, including the batter, for four runs scored. But nobody removes the ball from the dead player's glove. The game is never ended, as the deceased's family decides to bury the pitcher with the ball in his glove.

5/11/2012 3:58:52 PM
Topic:
Stupidest Baseball Rule Ever?

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
In the Oregon State/Utah game today, the Beaver’s center fielder caught a fly ball and collided with the left fielder. The center fielder was hurt, laying on the ground motionless, so the left fielder took the ball out of the center fielder’s mitt and showed the umpire that the ball was caught. The umpire ruled the ball to be dropped and as a result, the Utah hitter earned an in the park homerun.

Does anyone know the purpose of this rule? Seems like a really stupid rule.

I’ve copied the rule below from the College Baseball rulebook as well as the link to the rulebook.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BA12.pdf

Catch
SECTION 15. The act of a fielder in getting secure possession in the hand or
glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it, providing the fielder does not use
the cap, protector, pocket or any other part of the uniform in getting possession.
control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.
a. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of
making a throw (i.e., reaching for the ball in the glove) after the catch, the
ball shall be judged to have been caught.
b. If a fielder falls over or through the fence after making a catch within the
field of play, the batter shall be retired and the ball is dead (see 6-1-d and
8-3-m).
30 RULE 2 / DEFINITIONS
c. It is not a catch if, simultaneously with or immediately after contact with the
ball, the fielder collides with a player or fence or falls down and, as a result,
drops the ball.
d. It is not a catch if a fielder touches a fly ball that then hits a member of the
offensive team or an umpire and then is caught by that fielder or another
defensive player.
e. It is not a legal catch if either foot is touching dead-ball territory when the
catch is made (see 6-1-d-4).
5/11/2012 4:07:06 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt, I hope you don't mind, but I copied and pasted your post from the Pac12 Thread. Not only did it provide me with my chuckle for the day, it also shows just how absurd this rule is.

Dodger Matt
Bottom of the 9th, Home team is down by 3 runs. Bases loaded. A line drive to the pitcher, rocketing off the aluminum bat at an unbelievable 300 mph. The doomed pitcher catches the line drive, but unfortunately, the impact of the ball kills him. His corpse lies several feet back of the mound, with the ball firmly grasped in his smoldering glove. All the runners raced around the bases, including the batter, for four runs scored. But nobody removes the ball from the dead player's glove. The game is never ended, as the deceased's family decides to bury the pitcher with the ball in his glove.
5/11/2012 6:22:36 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Looks like the UCLA at UW game is being streamed free tonight. It's at Safeco field. It will be interesting to see if the video is better than it is at UW's home field.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/wash-m-basebl-sched.html
5/11/2012 6:36:07 PM
Topic:
Free live video streams

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
UCLA and UW at Safeco Field.

http://www.gohuskies.com/allaccess/?media=299591
5/11/2012 8:16:38 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I think the camera behind homeplate must be anchored at CenturLink Field.

BeaverBob wrote:
Looks like the UCLA at UW game is being streamed free tonight. It's at Safeco field. It will be interesting to see if the video is better than it is at UW's home field.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/wash-m-basebl-sched.html
5/14/2012 5:04:51 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
This is the second time this year is has happened in an OSU game. Once for the Beavers and once with an opposing team. This also happened several years ago with Jacoboy Ellsbury. The ruling was confirmed by the umpire at the game. The following language from the rule book is what initiated the call:

"the fielder shall demonstrate complete control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional."

If a player takes he ball out of another player's glove, the release of the ball is not considered voluntary and intentional.

MiamiBaseball wrote:
I'm sorry to interrupt an Oregon State rant, but where in that rule does it say that you can't take the ball out of another player's glove? It's absurd to even think that is true, and that rule you posted doesn't even address that action. If the ball doesn't hit the ground, it is an out. If a batted ball lands in a player's glove, bounces up, and another guy grabs it, it is an out. If the ball is caught and another player takes it, it is an out. Again, you posted an irrelevant rule.

I can't find any story that describes this play, so I'm guessing that you did not get an accurate description of the umpire's ruling. Ten bucks says that the umpire ruled it down because he never saw it in the first player's glove before the second player went over and grabbed it. For all he knew the second guy picked it up off the ground.
5/14/2012 9:01:21 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
You may or may not be correct about your interpretation of the rule here. I must say your interpration makes good sense to me. However, the simple fact is that you are wrong about how the umpires have interpreted this rule and called these plays.

MiamiBaseball wrote:
Another example, same concept. The guy who caught it and knocked it out with his knee did it while running toward center field, and the center fielder caught it in the air. No voluntary release, but it's still a catch because it never hit the ground. Very simple.
5/15/2012 5:57:01 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, check your PG email.
5/17/2012 10:26:56 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 14

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
Ariz 2-1
UCLA 2-1
Stan 3-0
Ore 3-0
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72