BeaverBob
nm
4/8/2011 11:43:16 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 8 predictions

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
  • Stanford and Oregon are most heavily favored to win this weekend. Both teams garnered unanimous 14-0 votes to beat their opponents, with the Cardinal getting 7 sweep votes compared to the Ducks' 5 sweeps.

Ducks lose in 14 innings.
4/8/2011 11:48:01 PM
Topic:
Arizona State 3, Oregon State 5 (F)

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Excellent college baseball game tonight. Gaviglio had to throw 130+ pitches to win.
4/9/2011 8:46:43 PM
Topic:
Washington 3, Oregon 0 (F/10)

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
nm
4/10/2011 5:00:42 PM
Topic:
Thorgreen - What's Up with the Ducks?

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm sitting here at PK Park, watching the Ducks and Huskies. The Ducks finally get their first Pac 10 win. What an impressive stadium.
4/10/2011 5:03:46 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
thorgreen wrote:
Yeah- I have been pretty quiet these days. I will always tune in when Madison and Tyler pitch though. They seem to give the Ducks the best opportunity to score a few runs to win it.

Thorgreen, great win for your Ducks today. After watching OSU in Corvallis the last two days, my good Duck friend invited me to watch a game at PK Park. What a great facility.
4/10/2011 7:12:02 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
Okay, some analysis.

This was one of the worst weekends in terms of voters picking the right winners and number of games. Remember, the max you can get on a series is 6 for a correctly predicted sweep or 4 for a correctly predicted 2-1 series win. Average scores above 3 indicate voters were pretty good in their predictions; in the 2-something range, they were evenly divided or the series was close; anything below 2.00 indicates an upset (or that voters were way off). So here's how the average scores went for each series this week:

ASU at OSU: 1.86
Cal at Ariz: 3.43
UCLA at WSU: 3.00
Stan at USC: 1.50
UW at Ore: 1.64

Only Arizona and UCLA were "winners" for the majority of voters. Oregon State, Washington, and most of all USC were huge losses for the "average" voter.

It is probably not surprising to most of you that, when voting in such predictions, people tend to favor their team, and therefore, when their team does well, their scores are higher on average. Contrarily, when their team does poorly, their scores typically suffer. With that in mind, here are the results for Week 8:

• 15 Beaver1Bob
  • 14 opihi man
  • 14 SouthernBeaver
  • 13 BeaverQuist
  • 13 Dodger Matt
  • 13 OregonStateChris
  • 12 Florida Beaver
  • 11 CaughtBySparky
  • 10 2Bulldogs
  • 10 ASU74
  • 10 CdinSV
  • 10 pissproblem
  • 9 cas77
  • 6 WildCard2
The interesting thing here is that the top seven people on this list are the seven Beaver fans who participated this week. (Yes, we are still Oregon State heavy, but there have been a lot of Devil fans playing too, in the past.)

DM, thanks for the quick analysis and tally of scores. I think I'll quit while I'm on top

I think that the Rivals Baseball Board was shut down, at least I am not able to access it anymore. Maybe some of the participants the last couple of years on Rivals will get involved with the Board. Regardless, I enjoy the friendly competition and your willingness to facilitate the discussion.
4/11/2011 7:04:32 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

I think that the Rivals Baseball Board was shut down, at least I am not able to access it anymore. Maybe some of the participants the last couple of years on Rivals will get involved with the Board. Regardless, I enjoy the friendly competition and your willingness to facilitate the discussion.

It is still up, but right now the only way I can find to access it is by a direct link.
(http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1169&fid=2308&style=2)

Honestly though, whether it is because yahoo stupidly shot its content in the foot by having no paid baseball commentary, or because needing the link makes the average fan decide not to bother looking for it, the board is on its last leg. I still check it, but I think I am going to migrate over here now since the Pac-10 predictions are not going to remain there. Pity that BeaverBlitz is part of Rivals... it is a great site, which means I still have to be in part of that network to get the OSU content I want besides the general info from the different sports.

SouthernBeaver, thanks for the link to Rivals.
4/13/2011 11:14:40 AM
Topic:
Update on Oregon State's Susac and Rodriguez

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Both had hand surgery on Monday. Not sure if either will be back by the end of the season. See article below.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2011/04/andrew_susac_jake_rodriguez_ha.html
edited by BeaverBob on 4/13/2011
4/13/2011 11:25:54 AM
Topic:
Update on Oregon State's Susac and Rodriguez

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Daweez04 wrote:
Probably for the best, both maybe could have played in a couple weeks, but with pain. 4-6 week recovery from surgery(The usual length for this surgery) and they will be 100%. Rather have that then 50-75% in 2 or 3 weeks.

Daweez04, I agree with you. It's looking like the Beavers will play in a Regional. This is when both will really be needed.
4/14/2011 3:37:28 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 9 predictions

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OSU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
ASU 2-1
Ore 2-1
CAL 2-1
4/15/2011 9:05:35 PM
Topic:
Oregon State 1, Stanford 0 (F)

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
6 in a row for the Beavs.
4/17/2011 8:33:54 PM
Topic:
Oregon State vs. Stanford

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Beavers -- so far so good. However, a long ways to go. I'm really concerned about the Cougs this next weekend. They tend to struggle with WSU. I'd hate to see WSU decide to starting playing ball against the Beavs.
4/18/2011 2:20:06 AM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
I'm not as concerned as I was last year. Remember, we had just lost a crushing 16 inning defeat from UCLA at home, followed by a sweep by Stanford at home. Then went on the road to play Wazzu without heart or spirit to carry us through. This year is different. Not to say it will be a cakewalk. Never that, but given the differences in track records, this year to last, the concern level is down. My biggest concern, (trying not to look past ANY team), is UCLA on the road and Cal at home. I hope cool, cold, calculated payback is on the Beav's minds at UCLA. A lot of talk on UCLA's vaunted pitching crew (or at least two of them). Be real nice and sweet to take the series at their house this year (or a sweep would be REALLY nice). However, as you say, Wazzu is our next contest to overcome. Go Beavs.

As an aside, sorry to our Beaver state brothers to the south. The series loss to USC has got to sting.Pat on the head
This is so dam exciting.

FB, I can almost detect a level of sincerity regarding your empathy for our fowl brothers
4/18/2011 2:23:13 AM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 9 predictions

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
Score analysis:
  • Nobody got all five series right.
  • The top three voters this week got four series right, missing only the Oregon State sweep.
  • The ASU sweep (correctly picked by 14/18) produced the highest average score: 5.29.
  • The OSU sweep (correctly picked by 0/18) produced the lowest average score: 2.24.
And the scores:
  • 23 BeaverBeliever20
  • 23 BeaverQuist
  • 23 MostUnknown
  • 21 BballJones
  • 21 SouthernBeaver
  • 20 ASU74
  • 18 2Bulldogs
  • 18 cas77
  • 18 Dodger Matt
  • 18 Florida Beaver
  • 18 Lute31
  • 18 OregonStateChris
  • 18 SouthCoastStu
  • 17 opihi man
  • 15 BeaverBob
  • 14 CaughtBySparky
  • 14 RiverDuck
  • 14 WildCard85

edited by Dodger Matt on 4/17/2011

Good stuff DM. Looks like I may need to take a few risks next week to get back in the ballgame.
4/18/2011 12:34:51 PM
Topic:
What poll do you put the least amount of stock in?

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm not sure what to think about the polls/rankings. However, just looking at Oregon State's placement this week, they rank from 3rd to 9th in various polls.

Baseball America – OSU 3rd
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/top-25/2011/2611598.html

Perfect game – OSU 9th

Collegiate Baseball – OSU 7th
http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm

National Collegiate Sportswriters – OSU ? – Not yet posted
http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/poll/

USA Today/ESPN - OSU 8th
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/usatpoll.htm
4/18/2011 12:43:42 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
B1B,
Yeah, well. It's no fun kicking a team (or a fan) when they are down. Such high expectations were held for this year's duckling team, to have it almost all come to naught (As of yet, the season ain't over) has really have to depress them. Oh well. There's always next year (That's what I say for our football team. A LOT)Sugar High
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/18/2011

FB, I know the phrase "There's always next year" very well. As a student at OSU during the Avanzano years and a season ticket holder for the last 30 years, there wasn't much to root for. Actually, my favorite phrase back then was "Wait until basketball season." Now, it's "wait until baseball season."
edited by BeaverBob on 4/18/2011
4/18/2011 1:53:01 PM
Topic:
Miss State suspends player for flipping off....

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Kendall wrote:
He was handed a one-game suspension, FYI.

While Oregon State's pitching coach received no penalty for receiving a DUII.
4/18/2011 9:00:29 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

I was expecting something to happen with that... I don't think it's quite settled yet though.

I think you are right, but like it was said, it was an off-field incident so it is a different beast altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if he is having some major in-house punishment until Casey decides whether or not to retain him... after the season is over.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. So, if a player gets drunk and beats up his girlfriend, as long as he does it off field, there should be no penalty or suspension? I can't think of a more serious offense that driving while drunk, especially for a coach. Coaches should be setting examples for their players.
4/19/2011 1:39:14 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
It's The Talons wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

I was expecting something to happen with that... I don't think it's quite settled yet though.

I think you are right, but like it was said, it was an off-field incident so it is a different beast altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if he is having some major in-house punishment until Casey decides whether or not to retain him... after the season is over.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. So, if a player gets drunk and beats up his girlfriend, as long as he does it off field, there should be no penalty or suspension? I can't think of a more serious offense that driving while drunk, especially for a coach. Coaches should be setting examples for their players.

I got to disagree with Bob on this one. If an off-field event reflects on the coaches, players and school and the effect is detrimental or brings negative issues to bear, then the offending party, be it coach or player, should have some type of restriction. However, our system is innocent until proven guilty. To issue a suspension or penalty before his judicial hearing is to presume guilt. If he is found guilty, then the penalty should be severe enough to send a message across the board that this will not be tolerated. If he is not guilty and a penalty had already been issued and enforced, how do you withdraw something that has already been done? The player that flipped off a fan is something that was seen and could be dealt with then and there (The Blout penalty system) The penalty for the alleged DUI, which is not a crime against a person as a Battery or domestic violence is, although a severe offense in my book, should have to wait until a jury of his peers decides his guilt or innocence.
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/18/2011

This was going to be my response verbatim. Good post.

I agree, it was a good post. Beavers just tend to be smarter than the average graduate

I hate to debate with a fellow Beaver, but..... While I agree with the concept of innocent until proven guilty, I think we need to separate moral from legal issues. Organizations can and should have the ability to establish a code of conduct and morals clause in their employment contract. FB, regaring your comment:

"If an off-field event reflects on the coaches, players and school and the effect is detrimental or brings negative issues to bear, then the offending party, be it coach or player, should have some type of restriction."

Hasn't there already been a detrimental or negative response by the community? What if he is found not quilty for a technial reason? Should this prevent the school from taking action? What kind of example does this set for the players? I'm not saying he should be fired, but we haven't heard much from the school or the head coach.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72