ASU 3-0
UW 2-1
Ariz 3-0
4/24/2013 11:57:32 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 predictions: 2013 Week 11

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I hope you are spending another weekend at McMennemins or some other place fun.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Apologies ahead of time, Pac-12 fans. DM again has a very busy week and weekend ahead of him, so the commentary will be rather thin. Numbers are place in the conference standings (percentage-based).

This week’s games
#4 Stan at #2 Ore
#7 USC at #1 OSU
#3 UCLA at #8 WSU
#5 ASU at #11 Utah
#9 Cal at #10 UW
Alabama State [XAS] at #6 Ariz

An example ballot would look like this:
Stan 2-1
USC 2-1
WSU 2-1
Utah 3-0
Cal 3-0
XAS 2-1

Week 11 Series

• Stanford visits Eugene for the Ducks’ second straight week as host of the conference’s top series this week. Oregon lost the first two games last week to UCLA on back-to-back binary scores (1-0) before salvaging a win on Sunday. The Cardinal showed they can still play ball by defeating Arizona 2-1 at home last week, losing only the second game, 10-9. Stanford has four conference series wins, two on the road, and only one loss, a home 2-1 affair to Utah. The Ducks have four wins too, three of them sweeps, to go along with two series losses, one on the road and last week’s loss at home.
  • USC travels to Corvallis to take on the Beavers. The Trojans are 2-4 in Pac-12 series this year, with all six series ending up 2-1 affairs. The Beavers suffered their first conference series loss last weekend in Seattle, but they’re home now, where they play a little better. The Trojans own the best all-time mark against the Beavers in the conference, a 48-22 record. Even if the OSU swept USC every year, it would take the Beavers more than eight years to even out that win-loss deficit. The problem is, even when USC is not particularly good, they still rarely get swept.
  • Wazzu looked to be he typical dark horse team of the conference when they opened conference play by beating ASU 2-1 in Tempe. But since then have lost all four conference series they’ve played 1-2, two on the road and two at home. An not necessarily to the top teams in the league either (namely Cal and Utah). UCLA is coming off an impressive road win against the Ducks and have only lost two series so far, to the 1st place Beavers and 5th place Devils.
  • ASU visits Salt Lake City to take on Utah in our conference mismatch series. Although, the Devils did lose one of three games to Valpo and Utah has played very tough baseball, especially defensively, notching series wins over Stanford and Wazzu. The Sun Devils need to use this series as a springboard into the upper ranks of the conference while some of the better teams beat each other up.
  • The ugly series this week is between 9th place Cal and 10th place Washington. You have to know the Huskies believe they can do anything at home, after beating the Beaver s2-1 last weekend. In fact they are 2-0 in home conference series so far.
  • The nonconference series is between Alabama State and Arizona. The Hornets are members of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), one of the lower Division 3 conferences. But they are second in the league with a 15-6 conference record and 27-18 (.600) overall record. Of course, they haven’t played nor beaten anybody of note, and their ISR is 209 (out of 298). But schools of their ilk have defeated the Arizona schools this year already (Columbia, Bethune-Cupcake, Valparaiso). Upset special?
4/25/2013 12:03:05 AM
Topic:
SEC Rankings/Projections/Scoreboard 4/25-4/28

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Vanderbilt 3-0
LSU 2-1
Mississippi 2-1
Arkansas 3-0
Auburn 2-1
Florida 3-0
Alabama 2-1
4/26/2013 10:16:48 PM
Topic:
RPI - Someone teach me something

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
hogfan, once I can understand what came first -- the Duck or the egg, than I can explain the RPI.

hogfan4life wrote:
Ok I'm going to use UCA as an example. While I think it's cool another University from Arkansas is actually playing quality baseball, I don't understand the RPI.

According to Warren, they have two wins vs. the top 50. 17 wins (over half) have been from 200+ RPI wins. How can their RPI be so high? What part of the formula is keeping that number so high? I would think playing 200+ teams it would drop even as they win.

Ok, now the flip side to that. Arkansas has 11 wins vs. top 50 7 vs the top 25 yes they have one or two bad losses early. So two bad losses that heavily outweighs 7 wins vs the RPI top 25?

Again, admittedly I don't know the formula or how it's calculated. I'm asking just to see if someone can explain that to me? I'm sure are plenty other teams that prove both my points. These are just teams that I happen to be familiar with.
4/26/2013 10:20:53 PM
Topic:
Beaver/Duck worst nightmare...

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
ASU74, have you been hitting the St. Pauli Girl? I'm trying to picture Florida Beaver and RiverDuck being tied up I'm afraid that RD might actually like it.

When I last looked, I was afraid your Devils were going to lose to your neighbors to the north, the Utes. Glad to see you pulled it out in extra innings.
4/26/2013 10:27:24 PM
Topic:
Sun Devil baseball will begin playing in Phoenix

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm away from the forum for several days and missed some high-level, intellectual discussion. I love it.

Hedegoba88 wrote:
OpihiMan wrote:
Most men (and a few women, high a high concentration in Eugene, OR actually...though I'm not here to judge) enjoy some good....ok, ok, enough with the puns (for now).

Hedegoba88 wrote:

What about beaver? Do you guys up there eat them?

edited by OpihiMan on 4/25/2013

WOW, I can't believe I set you up for that one. I'm actually disappointed in myself for not seeing that coming. As much as I love these beaver jokes, which is the reason I posted in this thread to begin with, my post was in no way meant to be a dirty beaver joke. I really was asking if anybody actually eats(consumes) beaver(animal that builds dams), I was referring to what ASU74 posted about cajuns eating nutria.

Although your answer is much better.
4/26/2013 10:32:50 PM
Topic:
Sun Devil baseball will begin playing in Phoenix

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Actually, I'm just a novice compared to FB. He has a PhD in All Things Beaver. He has studied Beaver termingoloy, Beaver smell, Beaver color, Beaver health, Beaver hygene, and many other things Beaver.

ASU74 wrote:
Since this has turned into a BEAVER thread.....I left this for BB, but he must have missed it. Can a Beaver connoisseur lend some assistance here?

With the way things have gone for the Crusaders, they will never want to come back to Tempe. Unless that is some local feminine Devils showed them some Devil Beaver*. Something for the boys to think about during the cold Indiana nights......& trust me Devil Beaver is among the highest quality Beaver available anywhere.

*BB
You seem to be the authority on Beaver teminology....if Devil Beaver is not already recognized, please submit to the Beaver Dictionary for approval so Devil Beaver will, and forever more be an acknowleged Beaver.
4/28/2013 1:27:50 AM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OM, are you feeling ok? When I saw you at the Beaver game today, you looked a little disoriented and I figured you were suffering from heat stroke

OpihiMan wrote:
Let me be the first to congratulate the Oregon Ducks on their first series win against a ranked opponent I may give them a hard time, but my arguments are fact based (even if they are loosely based). I can no longer claim they've beaten no one....they are now 1-4 in series against ranked opponents.
4/28/2013 12:31:45 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thanks for the update borgguy.

I'm going for the trifecta today. A Beaver win, a Duck loss, and BeaverBob takes home the prize.

quote=borgguy]Standings after day 2: BeaverBob, BTExpress, and Riverduck all stay put and all still have shots at a perfect week. looking at the numbers if both Oregon and Oregon State win, BeaverBob will win, if Oregon wins and Oregon State loses Riverduck wins, if Oregon loses and Oregon State wins, then BTExpress wins. several other people have shots at perfect weeks as well, but that would require all the favorites to lose today (something I doubt will happen) ASU74 moves up one spot and is no longer all by himself in the bottom, and Florida Beaver seems to be giving RD a run for his money for perennial bottom dweller, but he seems to like it there

1)BeaverBob 34 17

T2)BTExpress 32 17
Riverduck 32 17

T4)OregonStHomer 28 17
Hogfan4life 28 17
Dodger Matt 28 17
JCR 28 17
YellowlabOSU 28 17

9)OpihiMan 28 15

10)Borgguy 27 14

11)UOsportsguy 26 17

T12)SouthernBeaver 26 15
Beaverstate69 26 15
OregonG20 26 15
Rowdy 26 15

16)WildCard85 25 14

17)ASU74 24 15

18)Florida Beaver 24 13
4/28/2013 1:17:20 PM
Topic:
Trojans vs Beavers

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Radio announcer Mike Parker just said that the USC is the only team that the Beavers have not swept a series. So far, so good. The Beavs up 2-0 in the second.
edited by BeaverBob on 4/28/2013
4/28/2013 1:19:30 PM
Topic:
Trojans vs Beavers

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Beav's catcher Rodriquez has been really good this weekend. Just threw out another baserunner. He threw out at least two yesterday that I can remember.
4/28/2013 1:24:25 PM
Topic:
Bruins vs Ducks

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Looks like this game is on ESPNU today.
4/28/2013 3:30:57 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
borgguy wrote:
hate to break it to ya BB but if the Duckies lose, so do you. BTExpress will win because he picked Ducks 2-1 while you picked a sweep, beyond that your picks are the same. so which is more important to you: taking a half game lead in the standings, or taking home the pick crown for this week? cuz ya cant do both

that's an easy one.I'd rather see BTEexpress win.
4/28/2013 3:58:05 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OpihiMan wrote:
I take back what I said...just realized Stanford's RPI is 93 and there record is horrible...don't know why they are ranked they have a bunch off bad losses. Ducks still haven't won a series against a good team.

OM, Stanford is one of those darling teams that are always ranked in top 5 to start season. I think it is time for their old coach to retire.
4/28/2013 5:39:20 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thanks RD. I caught the last part of the Ducks game on TV. It was amazaing they didn't load the based up. Very poor coaching. Standford had a good chance to win both the Friday and Sunday games, but just fell apart both times. The Ducks certainly showed they can win the tight games. The reality is that neither Standford or USC are good teams. Other than both teams having a great Friday night starter, neither seem to have much else going for them.

I just hope Stanford doesn't decide to start playing baseball again in two weeks.

Riverduck wrote:
Great predictions BB- I am impressed you called it. I was thinking the OSU loss was riskier than calling an Oregon sweep IMO. I am going to put it out there, Healy should get player of the week. That was some clutch hitting, textbook Oregon baseball. First time stanford gets swept in pac play.. I don't see OSU sweeping them at their place. That was a huge win for Oregon.
edited by Riverduck on 4/28/2013

edited by BeaverBob on 4/28/2013
4/28/2013 5:42:03 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, I'd give the nod to Healy for offensive player of the week. I think you could choose any of the Beaver's starting pitchers for pitcher of the week.

Riverduck wrote:
I am going to put it out there, Healy should get player of the week. That was some clutch hitting, textbook Oregon baseball.
edited by Riverduck on 4/28/2013
4/28/2013 5:49:42 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
It looks like the mercy rule should have been involved in the Arizona and Alabama St. game. 18-3. I get the sense that Arizona was a bit frustrated with the close game yesterday.
4/28/2013 6:57:04 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Is it SEC practice to reschedule these cancelled games?

LSU_Blake wrote:
Ok guys there were a lot of canceled games but the weekend is over and here is how it faired....

Sunday Scoreboard

South Carolina 4 LSU 0 (USC wins 2-1)
Vanderbilt 8 Miss St. 3 (Vandy sweeps series)
Arkansas vs Georgia was Canceled (Arkansas wins series 2-0)
Missouri 3 Auburn 1.......Missouri 4 Auburn 1 (Mizzou wins 2-1)
Tennessee 4 Florida 2 (Florida wins 2-1)
Alabama vs Texas A&M was Canceled (Alabama wins series 2-0)
Kentucky vs Ole Miss (Kentucky won series 2-1)
4/28/2013 8:47:59 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thanks guys. BTW, it's really great to have some non-Pac 12 folks on the board.
4/28/2013 9:34:08 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
F, I really expected to come in last this week and last week by going with a bunch of sweeps. I might have to use this strategy when I am in Reno in June, playing golf and doing a little gambling.

ASU74 wrote:
BB
Bold predictions, but it paid off for ya. Congrads.

Hogfan
Looks like you took over and are the top Hog so far for the season. Congrads
F
edited by ASU74 on 4/28/2013
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73