BeaverBob - all messages by user

5/15/2011 6:53:59 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 13 predictions

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
borgguy wrote:
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:
USC beats ASU 6-2. Beavers stay two games up on the Sun Devils. Great news for the Beavers.

thank goodness!!! of course now that has me worried about next week when we play said trojans.

just gotta remember that our magic number to clinch a tie for the pac 10 is 3, if we sweep USC it doesnt matter what ASU does and we get at least a share of the conference.

I hear Trojans aren't very reliable, have a high error rate, and also have a tendancy to have holes in their defense.
ed
edited by BeaverBob on 5/15/2011
5/15/2011 6:57:48 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Riverduck wrote:
Like I said- I would be perfectly fine with the Beavers getting first place in the Pac. Only if we sweep them to possibly make it to a regional. And for that to happen we would have to be on like a 9 game winning streak with teams with way higher RPI's. I think that would be a story. Beavs have a better chance making it to the CWS than us to a regional. Sad but true.

Riverduck, you are a great sport. My Duck buddy has invited me to catch the Friday game of the series in Eugene. Should be a good series.
5/15/2011 8:20:22 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
Day three

Arizona 8, Washington State 1: Wazzu avoided being shut out in their last time up when Tommy Richards led off with a triple, and Trace Tam Sing grounded out to knock him in. Alex Mejia finished 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs for the Cats. Kyle Simon (9-3) pitched a complete game six-hitter for the win, striking out five and walking none. Chad Arnold (2-4), who allowed all 8 Arizona runs (7 earned), took the loss. Rubber game Monday.

Series tied, 1-1.

Oregon 6, Stanford 5: The score rocked back and forth several times, with each team leading or tying at least twice. Stanford’s Tyler Gaffney manufactured his own run in the 5th, tying the game at 4-4. He singled with two outs, stole second, then took both third and home on a two-base wild pitch that Oregon catcher Paul Eshleman couldn’t find. Stanford again tied it in the 7th, when a wild pitch by Scott “Gas Can” McGough made it 5-5. Stanford tried to tie it one last time in the 8th. With the Ducks ahead 6-5, the Cardinal had runners on first and second after Gas Can had issued a two-out walk and surrendered a single. Kenny Diekroeger then singled through the right side, and Dave Giulani got the green light to score from second. Right fielder Aaron Jones threw to catcher Brett Hambright, who held onto the ball and delivered the tag on Giulani in a collision at the plate. The play kept the game-tying run off the board, and allowed Boer to shut out Stanford the rest of the way. McGough (2-6), picked up the win, tossing 1.2 shutout innings of relief on three hits and one walk while fanning two. Brett Thomas finished 2 for 4 with 3 RBIs for the Ducks. The Ducks earned their second Pac-10 series victory of the year and just missed sweeping the Cardinal because of a late-inning collapse yesterday.

Oregon wins series, 2-1.

USC 6, Arizona State 2: Big upset series win for the Trojans solidifies Oregon State’s grasp of the conference championship. The teams traded runs in the 3rd. ASU added a second in the 4th, and USC plated two on Brandon Garcia’s second homer in as many days to take a 3-2 lead. USC’s Alex Sherrod added his own 2 RBI homer in the 7th to increase the Trojan lead to 5-2. USC added a final run in the 8th. USC’s Logan Odom of Central Point, Oregon pitched a complete game for the win. ASU’s Jake Barrett (3.2 IP) took the loss. USC has won four of their seven Pac-10 series.

USC wins series, 2-1.

UCLA 3, CS Bakersfield 2: UCLA comes back from an opening game loss to win the series. Dean Espy led the Bruins at the plate, going 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs and a home run. Adam Plutko (5-3) went 8.0 IP, 12 Ks, 1+1 W+HBP, 4 hits, and 2 runs (both earned). Jonathan Montoya pitched the full 8 for the Roadrunners and did nearly as well as Plutko: 10 Ks 2 BBs, 8 hits, and 3 runs (all earned).

UCLA wins series, 2-1.

DM, as always, thanks for the excellent summary. I think you and Kendall should partner in in this forum. I can't think of a better way to make a living. BTW, do you know why the WSU series runs Sat-Monday? It seems like they have also done this in previous years.
5/15/2011 8:30:51 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Bob, what you say about the Trojans is probably true, but remember, a man wearing a Trojan cap on his head is also more likely to score than a man who is not wearing Trojan gear.

Can't disagree DM, especially when a Beaver is invovled
5/19/2011 10:33:12 AM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 14 predictions

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Playing it safe this week

UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
OSU 2-1

Ore 2-1

ASU 3-0
5/19/2011 1:30:33 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Riverduck wrote:
UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
OSU 2-1
WSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
help- my account got hacked..

Riverduck, I see you are using reverse psychology and rooting against your Ducks. Not a bad strategy.
5/19/2011 1:33:45 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SouthernBeaver wrote:
UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
OSU 2-1
WSU 2-1
ASU 3-0

I've been meaning to ask all season, but what is the difference between a Southern Beaver and a Florida Beaver? I've been thinking about changing my name to Oregon Beaver or Northern Beaver.
edited by BeaverBob on 5/19/2011
5/19/2011 1:40:37 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OpihiMan wrote:
DM, enjoy the game with BeaverBob...I went with him to one of the Cal games, very nice guy I had a great time. I'm still deciding if I wanna go this weekend or just watch the games on TV/ Beaver Nation Online.

A couple of risky picks here:

UCLA 3-0
Stan 2-1
OSU 3-0
WSU 2-1
ASU 3-0

Ophiman, it was great sitting with you at the Cal game. It's nice putting a face to a name. I'm just glad you didn't mention my flatuence problem to DM. Now, my excuse about the fowl (whoops, my spelling is bad) foul wind blowing from Eugene won't fly
5/19/2011 2:05:25 PM
Topic:
Ducks and the post season

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Riverduck wrote:
You guys got in with a sub par performance your second Nat. win, and last year as well. So as long as we are really close to 500 in pac, I say we get in. We would be a dangerous 4 seed if we sweep the beavers. The staff is looking like each game is a playoff right now. Looks like we are pitching our #2 guy on 3 days rest today. Go Ducks!
http://www.dailyemerald.com/2011/05/17/oregon-baseballs-offense-still-simmering-in-win-over-gonzaga/

Riverduck, I think you need to win 5 of the next 6 Pac 10 games. I think you also have a game against UP next week. You would need to win that one and may have a chance.

I must say you are a good sport to take all of the abuse from us Beavers. Last year in the Rivals Forum, there were several Duck fans. It seems like they have disappeared with a subpar season.
5/19/2011 4:19:57 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
OSU 2-1
WSU 2-1
ASU 3-0

I've been meaning to ask all season, but what is the difference between a Southern Beaver and a Florida Beaver? I've been thinking about changing my name to Oregon Beaver or Northern Beaver.

It's the amount of hair covering the beaver. Florida is quite warm, so the beavers tend to have less hair or are shaved. A southern beaver has more hair because it can get cold in the south. (The Mason/Dixon line is in snow country if you didn't know.) Northern beavers usually are covered because of the extreme cold. In Oregon, beavers tend to stay wet. My wife says she doesn't mind a bald beaver. Me? I rather have hair on mine, but genetics says otherwise., dam it.

We are talking male pattern baldness, right?

FB, thanks for the lesson on male pattern baldness. This information is very helpful.
5/19/2011 9:46:16 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
I've never seen so many beaver jokes from Oregon State fans at one time before. Gotta hit a bunch of comments at once....

MostUnknown: Playing it somewhat safe. The question is, will these picks get me above Beaver after this week.
You need to realize that with so many Oregon State fans on this board, that either way you're gonna be on top of or below beaver, so you might as well just get used to it and enjoy it. Of course, everyone wants to be on top. We'll see if playing it safe gets you there.

ASU74: DM, Has Kendall offered you a job yet?
Ha, no. I antagonize too many people (see other threads). But Kendall is a decent guy, and if my activity here brings him some increased (albeit meagerly so) measure of financial security, then that would be good enough for me.

Riverduck: help- my account got hacked.
Look at this guy. Actually voted for an Oregon State win. Either his account did get hacked or he wants to get out of the cellar. Gotta love even Duck fans who aspire to improve themselves. Although, looking at the rest of your picks River, I'd give you at best a B- grade. In fact, after voting for the Beavers to win, I think we should call you henceforth: Biverduck.

BeaverBob: I've been thinking about changing my name to Oregon Beaver or Northern Beaver.
What! Nobody would recognize you! At the dinner table, when I mention things like, "I'm going to the game Friday, thanks to Northern Beaver," everyone in my family would look at me and ask, "Who the hell is Northern Beaver?"

BeaverBob: I'm just glad you didn't mention my flatuence problem to DM. Now, my excuse about the fowl (whoops, my spelling is bad) foul wind blowing from Eugene won't fly.
Ummm. How close are our seats?

FloridaBeaver:A southern beaver has more hair because it can get cold in the south.
I'm not even gonna comment on that.

OpihiMan wrote:
DM, enjoy the game with BeaverBob...I went with him to one of the Cal games, very nice guy I had a great time.
Yes, and I look forward to putting a face to a name as well. I'll just have to put Dodger Mandi on the other side of him, I guess, so there are no complaints about the fowlness. ;-)
(Please, no puns about fowl balls.)

Dodger Matt and Florida Beaver, you are both literary geniuses. I thought I was a pretty good writer, but can't touch your stuff. DM, I know you have done some writing in the past and should be writing for a major newspaper or magazine. Florida Beaver, I can see you being an editor at Penthouse.
5/22/2011 5:08:40 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
Almost forgot these....

Biverduck got 4 out of 5 series correct, only missing the OSU loss. (Ironic, huh?)
FloridaBeaver and BlueSGJay also got the same four series correct but picked OSU sweeps to fall one point behind Biverduck.

Congrats RiverDuck. I'll be venturing to the land of where they banned Christmas next Friday to watch the Ducks and the Beavers. Should be an interesting series.
5/22/2011 5:15:09 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
What is going on? The strange starting pitcher yesterday. The uncommon number of infield errors leading to an 8 run top of the 1st. Losing today and stranding all the runners on base. Not knocking the trojans, but we should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than them and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than we played. Could have just lost our way out of a National Seed this weekend. Crap. Playing like this may give the quackers a moral boost for next weekend. Not a good time to sit back and admire our year. Casey needs to be kicking some tail this week (And tighten up his pitching coach and crew). (Maybe put Yeskie in 72 hour lock to keep him clear headed and sober)(oooo. That was kinda mean)

Had to leave the game after the 4th to get my daughter to softball practice. My wife made me turn the radio off in the car. She said I was driving like a crazy man. Oh well, probably good that I didn't hear the end of the game.
5/22/2011 5:49:07 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
NolesFanJosh wrote:
ASU's loss to Washington somewhat softens the blow a tad, the release of the RPI rankings this week will be highly anticipated. Gotta wonder if the one loss to Wash does damage to ASU's RPI like it did Ore St's last week. But now does Oregon State's RPI drop out of Top 20?!?? A little telling stat: No team outside of RPI Top 17 has ever garnered a National Seed.

I think Beavers should be a national seed, especially if they win the Pac 10. However, given the east coast bias, I don't think they have a chance now. I'll be curious to see what happens to Virginia in the rankings after being swept.
5/23/2011 11:38:25 AM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Almost forgot these....

Biverduck got 4 out of 5 series correct, only missing the OSU loss. (Ironic, huh?)
FloridaBeaver and BlueSGJay also got the same four series correct but picked OSU sweeps to fall one point behind Biverduck.

Congrats RiverDuck. I'll be venturing to the land of where they banned Christmas next Friday to watch the Ducks and the Beavers. Should be an interesting series.

Where are you sitting on Friday? My parents are taking me to game 1 for a birthday present.

Not sure, but will find out. My buddy that has invited me is a Big Duck Fan. He played baseball for the Ducks before they gave up the sport.
5/23/2011 11:43:52 AM
Topic:
PG TOP 25: New No. 1 and more (5/23)

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Kendall, I have no complaints about where you have the Beavers, but do think ASU deserves a higher ranking.

It really looks like the Trojans have caught their stride. They looked more like the Beavers than the Beavers did over the weekend. Lots of small ball and a no-give up attitude. They have now won 5 of their last series. Too bad they waited so long in the season to get serious.
5/23/2011 6:34:29 PM
Topic:

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
MostUnknown wrote:
borgguy wrote:
at least the husky's took one from ASU, they owed us that much after the choke job we had with them last week, magic number is 2. will be rooting for UCLA this week, beavs and bruins win on friday and OSU is pac10 champs.

Unless my math is off, Oregon St needs 2 wins to clinch. UCLA or ASU can win it with a series win and an OSU choke-job(Sweep or two losses). I could be missing something but I think thats how it's currently set up.

Standings
Oregon State     17   7    
Arizona State 16 8
UCLA 16 8
California 13 11
Arizona 12 12
Stanford 12 12
USC 12 12
Oregon 8 16
Wazzu 8 16
Washington 6 18
  • If Oregon State sweeps Oregon, the Beavers are the outright Pac-10 champs.
  • If Oregon State takes two of three, and the UCLA-ASU series is not a sweep, the Beavers are the outright Pac-10 champs.
  • If Oregon State takes two of three, and the UCLA-ASU series is a sweep, the Beavers are tied with whoever swept the UCLA-ASU series, but OSU pwns the tiebreaker over both teams, so Beavers are the "official" champs.
  • If OSU loses two games to the Ducks, and the UCLA-ASU series is not a sweep, the Beavers are tied with whoever took the UCLA-ASU series, but OSU pwns the tiebreaker over both teams, so Beavers are the "official" champs.
  • If OSU loses the Civil War, and and the UCLA-ASU series is a sweep, whoever sweeps the UCLA-ASU series will be Pac-10 champions.
  • If OSU is swept, whoever wins the UCLA-ASU series will be Pac-10 champions.

Matt, I love the color scheme. Thanks for the primer.
5/24/2011 12:24:47 PM
Topic:
PG 64: Latest NCAA Projections (HAVE Q'S?) -- 5/24

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Kendall, it's interesting that you have ASU as the number 8 seed ahead of Oregon State. The Beavers swept ASU, are currently ahead of ASU in your own poll: 8 to 13, and are close to being crowned the Pac 10 champs.
Is your decision soley based on RPI?
5/24/2011 12:54:38 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 15 predictions

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
Cal 2-1
Ariz 2-1
USC 2-1
5/24/2011 1:20:49 PM
Topic:
Inspiring Story on Ex-Oregon State Pitcher

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Years after disabling spinal injury, an ex-Oregon State pitcher learns to stand

“Rob Summers, an ex-OSU Baseball pitcher made headlines as the first such spinal injury patient to stand and regain purposeful movement with the help of an electrical stimulator. Summers was a sophomore at Oregon State University, working on a business major and playing baseball, when a hit-and-run accident on a Portland street left him unable to use his legs.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/05/post_48.html

"Pat Casey got some good news late Thursday night when he found out that former Oregon State pitcher Rob Summers -- who threw in one game in 2006 -- stood for the first time since being paralyzed in a car accident in 2006.

“I was so happy I almost cried,” Casey said. “He texted me and said, ‘I’ve been battling just like you used to talk about …’ I sent him back a text and said, ‘Man, you’re my inspiration.’ It’s just so unbelievable.

“It really puts everything in perspective. Obviously you’re excited about a game on Friday and all the sudden you get that information … it really helped put me at ease.”
edited by BeaverBob on 5/24/2011
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72