Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

OpihiMan - all messages by user

2/19/2011 1:37:48 AM
Topic:
What was the biggest Opening Day surprise?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I was at the Hawaii v Oregon game...outcome didn't surprise me but it was a very sloppy game, poor fielding by both teams.

I have to say I noticed a huge difference with the bats out here. The ball seemed dead and lifeless coming off them, similar to a flat basketball in basketball. Players seemed surprised with balls that a year ago would've cleared the fence by 20 ft now fell 15 ft short. Also the new bats were making some weird ping-less sounds, where is a good article where one can read up on the actual technical differences and rule change?
2/21/2011 8:40:01 PM
Topic:
Oregon 4, Hawaii 0 (Final)

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Just to play Devil's advocate (I was at all games and will be there again tonight)...the first 2 games the Ducks were also given a ton of gifts (6 Hawaii errors, very poor Hawaii base running...etc) I guess if you look at the scores yeah they could be 3-0 but if you look at the entire games it's a little pathetic that they couldn't win. True they are missing Serna, but aside from the pitching effort yesterday they haven't looked like a top 15 team.

Riverduck wrote:
Considering the late inning disasters.. we should be 3-0. Good to see madison step up like he did in the last year. He is such a competitor and fun to watch. Thinking he may be our opener or #2 guy. Need to find a good closer.. McGough needs to get back in a groove next week. I think he will be fine. Hawaii made it to their regional final last year- they are tough, plus playing outside year round helps too. We get two, and we are better off than last year, and we won 40. Go Ducks!
2/22/2011 1:08:07 AM
Topic:
Oregon 4 Hawaii 3 Final (8)

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Game called early due to curfew (no idea why they would schedule a 6:35pm start time if the curfew is 9:30)

Series split 2-2
2/22/2011 1:16:44 AM
Topic:
Dirty Ducks?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I know some Oregon fans are going to flame this post but hear me out.

I have a lot of respect for Horton with everything he has done especially at Fullerton but some questionable coaching and player calls this weekend during the 4 game series.

I counted 4 times where an Oregon batter leaned into a pitch, started running to first, and got called back to home. Horton came out and argued the first time but didn't seem to care the last couple of times.

Oregon scheduled a red-eye flight tonight and had a game curfew imposed at 9:30pm (for a 6:35pm game)...bottom of the 7th, Ducks held a 4-2 and a 4-3 lead and they were visiting the mound every batter it seemed and the pitcher was stepping off the rubber and taking time every other pitch. They didn't stall long enough as they were still able (barely) to start the 8th before the curfew. I understand gamesmanship and sportsmanship are 2 different things but surely I can't be the only one who finds this to be a little dirty?
2/22/2011 4:30:02 PM
Topic:
Dirty Ducks?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Thank you Riverduck, you sir are a classy fan...Oregon has promise this year but they need to play alot better than they played in hawaii. They split the series and failed to capitalize on Hawaii's 10 errors, poor baserunning, and shallow pitching.
2/22/2011 5:21:49 PM
Topic:
Go on record...who is your national champ?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
UCLA
2/22/2011 5:25:24 PM
Topic:
Kendall...just curious

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Kendall...lemme know when you wanna come out to Hawaii to catch one of these epic non-conference series...your first beer is on me
2/23/2011 12:52:56 AM
Topic:
Dirty Ducks?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
No clue, they knew way in advance when the flight was...it was a holiday so it wasn't as if they had to start at 6:35 to accommodate people getting off work. Even if they scheduled the game at 6:05 that would have given 3 and half hours to at least start the 9th inning.
2/23/2011 2:17:43 PM
Topic:
Dirty Ducks?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I don't think anyone blamed Oregon for the game time, I was just pointing out their game tactics. The conversation has been a general "Why do they schedule the games like that" it was mutually agreed on by both teams, both are to blame.

Hawaii's schedule has always had this as a 4-day 4-game series...there wasn't a DH or change on this end.
2/23/2011 9:01:44 PM
Topic:
Dirty Ducks?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I actually sit on the 3rd baseline seats every game...night games are typically more rowdy than day games. I guess when there is a keg less than 10 steps from their seats people lose control. Monday didn't seem too bad...they were mostly yelling (positive cheering) at the bat boy (who was from Hawaii).

Also realize that because of the TV contract here in Hawaii they have been really pushing the Oregon and Texas series because of each teams rankings...fair weather (and less respectful) fans typically show up for these contests. It is unfortunate but don't confuse the rowdy drunkards with the majority of the Hawaii fans who enjoy rooting for our team and not against the other.

I can't speak for other teams on stall tactics and leaning into balls but I can tell you that Coach Trap is a class act and plays the games fair, he runs his team with a high level of discipline and is respected out here for doing so.
edited by OpihiMan on 2/23/2011
2/23/2011 11:37:27 PM
Topic:
Dirty Ducks?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Both teams did play hard till the end...sloppy baseball though, didn't you think?
2/24/2011 6:36:43 PM
Topic:
Pac-10 non conference week 2 Predictions

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
UCLA 3-0
Vandy 2-1
ASU 3-0
Cal 2-1
USC 2-1
UO 2-1
Ari 2-1
OSU 3-0
WSU 3-0
UW 3-0
edited by OpihiMan on 2/25/2011
2/25/2011 6:37:49 AM
Topic:
Texas v Hawaii 3 game series

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I'm going to be at all three games...just wondering who should I be looking out for? From what I hear Texas is throwing Jungmann and Cole the first 2 games...there won't be a sweep in the series and I think it will come down to whether or not UH can steal one of those games.

What are your guys thoughts?
2/25/2011 6:41:44 AM
Topic:

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Oh and all the Longhorn fans...you'll be able to listen live via this link

Free Live Radio

and if you want to pay a small fee for TV coverage (and its actually really nice professional TV coverage) you can check out:

Live Video

It's $6.28 for the Friday game and $6.28 for the Sunday game

The Saturday isn't being televised because UH has their final basketball game going on 100 yards from the Baseball stadium (Senior night)

Gametracker often doesn't work with Hawaii home games...this link will give you live stats for each game (same link for each game)

Live Stats

Hope this helps someone
edited by OpihiMan on 2/25/2011
2/25/2011 11:44:21 AM
Topic:

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Sorry guess I should've been a little more clear...I goto all UH home games I definitely know them just wondering about Texas
2/26/2011 2:35:17 PM
Topic:
Best starting pitcher in the country?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
After seeing him yesterday...Jungmann is a beast
2/27/2011 2:08:07 AM
Topic:
Kendall, can anyone post a score on the scoreboard

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Can't login on my phone...so I couldn't post updates from Les Murakami Stadium today...is this a known issue?
2/27/2011 2:20:38 PM
Topic:
What was Saturday's biggest surprise?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
baseballnut wrote:
Hawaii beating TEXAS!

Wow, Texas arrogance anyone?
2/28/2011 8:10:49 PM
Topic:
What was Saturday's biggest surprise?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Stork wrote:
I think Hawaii beating one of the most storied College Baseball programs can be stated without it being characterized as arrogance.

1. Hawaii is a team Kendall has stated without a doubt will be in a regional
2. Texas is on the road at Les Murakami stadium (last I checked traveling to Hawaii is never easy)
3. No team is expected to win every game especially if they are on the road
4. A 15 inning affair is not as if Texas was blown away
5. This Texas team was NOT as impressive as touted...
-Jungmann was amazing
-Green was impressive
-Texas hitting was unimpressive, defense was unimpressive, and their bullpen is really shallow

I think for Hawaii pick up a win against Texas isn't surprising and especially wasn't near the biggest surprise of the day...saying that Hawaii shouldn't win because Texas is "one of the most storied College Baseball programs" is in fact arrogance

Lawyered
2/28/2011 8:13:36 PM
Topic:
Best starting pitcher in the country?

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
ConnorOSU wrote:
Sam Gaviglio. 1-0, with a 0.00 ERA in 15.2 innings. Also has 15 strikeouts and pitched a complete game, two hit shutout against #25 Connecticut.

That's dam impressive
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48