Perfect Game Forum

Dodger Matt - all messages by user

3/26/2011 5:36:24 PM
Topic:
Cal dropping bsb, UCSD going D-1

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kendall wrote:
Just another sign that Cal is simply a pathetic institution from an athletic standpoint.

They're rather pathetic on the pro-America standpoint too, but that's another topic.

Would UCSD go the independent route initially like CS Bakersfield?
3/26/2011 5:41:46 PM
Topic:
Week 5 Pac 10 non-conference predictions

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Wondering whether to move the predictions threads to this board. Hammer, would you mind?
3/26/2011 6:05:41 PM
Topic:
Shockers/Ducks

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
thor, are you in the eugene area? what is up with duck radio broadcasts? i can't find them on the radio dial anywhere lately. (from newberg)

last year they were on 95.5 and at least one am station.
4/1/2011 12:18:46 AM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 7 predictions

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I had a very long series breakdown post that blew up into thin ether when I clicked "add new post" and am really not happy about reposting it, so here's an abridged version....

I'll be posting these prediction threads here and at the old Rivals site for a couple weeks, until everyone gets on this board. (Fewer troll sightings here.)

This week's games:
  • #27 OSU (ISR-15) at #18 Ariz (ISR-31)
  • #26 Ore (ISR-46) at #5 ASU (ISR-13)
  • #19 Stan (ISR-10) at WSU (ISR-50)
  • USC (ISR-145) at #21 Cal (ISR-11)
  • UW (ISR-199) at #20 UCLA (ISR-67)
Listed in order of importance, based on teams' records, rankings (NCBWA), and ISRs. To me the Oreson State at Arizona series should be the best, but the other Beaver State/Copper State matchup should be close behind. Wazzu was embarrassed last week by Cal, but they're playing at home and are not as bad as one might think. USC has played some tough opponents early and has been competitive. UW is still at the bottom of the barrel, and UCLA has underperformed, so that series ends up on the bottom of my list.

The reminders:
  • Vote for the team you expect to win and whether the results will be 3-0 or 2-1.
  • Pick teams in the exact order posted. This makes it easier for me to tabulate.
  • Use the team abbreviations listed in the sample below. (Again, helps me. ;-)
  • You can change your picks up until first pitch of the first game.
  • There are no prizes. We play for glory.
Points are awarded in the following manner:

Pick . . Result . . Pts.
3-0 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 6
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 1
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 0

2-1 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 4
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 2
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 1

Knew I'd forget something....
A sample poll would look like this:

OSU 2-1
Ore 2-1
Stan 2-1
Cal 3-0
UW 2-1
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/1/2011
4/1/2011 3:51:47 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
hmm. that guest post was mine. i guess using the "quick reply" doesn't grab your user info....

Looks like we have 8 votes so far (combined with the Rivals site).
4/1/2011 6:08:09 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I think that's all we'll get this week. Combined with the Rivals site, we have ten players this week. Some comments on your picks:
  • Three teams have unanimous 10-0 votes to win their series: UCLA (7 sweeps), Cal (6 sweeps), and ASU (1 sweep). [No surprise on the first two, but I thought Oregon would be much more competitive than that.]
  • Stanford is a favorite against Wazzu, 8-2 with one sweep.
  • The closest contest should be Oregon State vs. Arizona, with the Beavers garnering a negligible 6-4 edge, with one sweep voted for each side.
4/1/2011 11:26:07 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one:

Arizona 18, Oregon State 0: What a horrible game. Not only was Sam Gaviglio not his sharpest (getting tagged for 4 ERs plus 6 unearned), Susac had several passed balls, the Pac-10's best defense committed 5 errors, and the Beavers couldn't get a hit or an out. Arizona had 18 hits and scored all of their runs in three innings, including 12 in the 6th. Could be a long sad weekend for the Beavers.
Arizona leads series 1-0.

ASU 5, Oregon 2: The Ducks jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the second, but the Devils tied it in the 4th and scored three more in the 5th. For the third straight season, Oregon has dropped its Pac-10 opener. In fact, they haven't won a Pac-10 opening game in over 30 years....
Arizona State leads series 1-0.

Washington State 10, Stanford 8: In another game with a big inning, the Cougs trailed 8-2 going into the 8th and scored eight earned runs against three Cardinal relievers, ruining Mark Appel's 2-run 7-inning effort.
Wazzu leads series 1-0.

USC 10, Cal 5. A game of fives: The Trojans led the entire game except for the bottom half of the fifth when the Bears scored 5 to even the score at 5-5. But USC tacked on five more, led by Ricky Oropesa, who had two homers and five RBIs.
USC leads series 1-0.

UCLA 2, Washington 1: In the day's lowest-scoring game, Washington's Aaron West went toe to toe with Gerrit Cole for five innings before giving up solo ruins in the 6th and 7th. The Huskies scored one in the eighth but no more.
UCLA leads series 1-0.
4/2/2011 6:39:57 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Bob, agreed. The Beavs using the long ball to take the lead was cool. And scoring 10 and limiting the Cats to 4 while still committing 3 errors was another unexpected item.

Rubber game tomorrow. Go Beavs!
4/3/2011 12:35:18 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two:

Oregon State 10, Arizona 4: Beavers break out of their scoring slump, tying the game 3-3 in the 5th with a two-out three-run homer by Ryan Barnes, then jumping ahead for good with another a two-out three-run homer by another Ryan (Ryan Dunn). The Beavers still made three errors (eight total for the two games), and the Wildcats made two of their own, so still not a well-played game.
Series tied 1-1.

ASU 3, Oregon 1: The Devils take another close game against the Ducks. Oregon halved ASU's 2-0 lead in the 7th with a sac fly that scored Aaron Jones, who tagged from third base. But ASU got the run back in the bottom half of the frame. Kramer Champlin (4-1) got the win for ASU.
Arizona State leads series 2-0.

Stanford 22, Washington State 3: Stanford made sure there would be no late-inning comeback in the cold north. Brian Ragira hit a grand slam and drove in seven, Lonnie Kauppila drove in five with six hits, and Austin Wilson went 4-for-6 with four RBIs. The game was delayed for 33 minutes, as hard snow flurries fell in the top of the fifth.
Series tied 1-1.

Cal 9, USC 2. Cal knocked out starting Trojan pitcher Austin Wood in the first, scoring 6 runs, capped by DH Austin Booker stealing home. Justin Jones pitched a complete game for Cal, scattering seven hits, allowing two runs (one earned), and striking out 12 while walking one.
Series tied 1-1.

UCLA 5, Washington 3: The Huskies led 2-0 in the first and 3-2 in the fifth, but UCLA tacked on a run in the bottom half and scored two more the next inning for the final score. Trevor Bauer recorded 10 strikeouts in eight innings to earn his team-leading fifth win. Bauer moved into a tie for second place on UCLA's career wins list (26) with Bill Brasher. He trails record-holder Alex Sanchez by one victory. Bauer also moved into ninth place on the school's all-time innings pitched list (292.1)
UCLA leads series 2-0.
4/3/2011 12:38:01 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
OpihiMan wrote:
Crap, I missed this at the start of the week...I've been playing golf on Lanai

BeaverBob wrote:
OphiMan, it's hard to be sypmathetic to a guy playing golf in Hawaii. Although I played golf at a course in Oregon today, the temp was 38 degrees, and it either rained or hailed most of the time.

You guys. I was driving a u-haul today, moving my sister-in-law. At least I got to listen to part of the game in the truck.
4/3/2011 5:51:22 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three:

Oregon State 8, Arizona 4: The Beavers jumped on Arizona starter Tyler Hale for 7 runs over 2.2 innings. The Arizona bullpen held the Beavers' bats in check for the next five innings until each team scored single runs in the ninth for the final score. OSU's freshman leftie Ben Wetzler (4-1) notched his first Pac-10 victory, going 6 IP, giving up 3 ERs, 1 K, and no walks. Oregon State's first five batters in the lineup--Michael Miller, Ryan Barnes, Danny Hayes, Andrew Susac, and Jared Norris--combined to go 9-for-20 with three doubles, four walks, and six runs batted in.
Oregon State wins series, 2-1.

Arizona State 8, Oregon 0: ASU scored in each of the first four innings and led 8-0. The Ducks couldn't get anything going offensively, managing only four hits on the day. In fact, Oregon had only three runs and 18 hits over the entire series. ASU's Jake Barrett pitched 7 innings for the win.
ASU sweeps series, 3-0.

Stanford 4, Wazzu 3: Stanford broke a scoreless tie in the 5th inning scoring one, then added three more in the 6th. The Cougars came back with two in the bottom half and added one more in the 7th, but failed in their second comeback win of the weekend. Stanford's Dean McArdle (4-0) notched the win.
Stanford wins series , 2-1.

Cal 9, USC 6: USC is not going to go as quietly this year as in 2010. After taking game one in Berkeley, the Trojans competed in both the Saturday and Sunday games as well. They led today's affair 2-0 and 4-2 before falling behind for good in the 5th 6-4. Cal's Kyle Porter, who pitched two innings in relief, got the win.
Cal wins series, 2-1.

UCLA 3, Washington 2: In the heartbreak come-from-behind-victory-denied category, Washington shows that they are improving. With surprising toughness defensively, they held UCLA again to single runs in the 5th and 7th innings, and came to the plate in the top of the 9th down 2-0. With one out and the leadoff hitter on second after a throwing error, Troy Scott hit a double to left that made it 2-1. Two batters, one more UCLA error, and a passed ball later, the Huskies had runners on second and third with two out. UW 3B Eric Peterson singled, scoring one of those runners, but the second was tagged out at the plate. In the bottom of the ninth, UCLA 1B Dean Espy singled and scored from first on Cody Regis's single to left center
UCLA sweeps series, 3-0.

Voter scores coming up.
4/3/2011 6:02:02 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Here are the scores for week 7:
  • 21 CaughtBySparky
  • 21 DevilBallDynasty
  • 20 cas77
  • 20 Dodger Matt
  • 18 2Bulldogs
  • 18 Beaver1Bob
  • 18 NewCard46
  • 18 rec1347
  • 18 WildCard2
  • 15 Florida Beaver
  • 14 ASU74
Voters did best on the UCLA and Stanford picks, with 7 of 10 in each series getting the max. Next was Oregon State (5 of 10) and Cal over USC (4 of 10). The hardest series to predict was ASU sweeping Oregon; only 1 of 10 got that right.
4/4/2011 12:21:48 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
CDinSV wrote:
I know I'll be behind the eight ball so to speak, but can I get in on this next week?

Absolutely. We'll play every week there are conference games (without checking, probably eight more weeks), and I'll average scores based on how many times you play. You can probably miss about three weeks and still qualify for the overall title. And despite this thread being called week 7, it's only the second week of Pac-10 play.

FB, the Beavs' stock was rated junk bonds after that 18-0 spanking; it could only rise after that. But yeah, taking the next two after that embarrassment had to look good to even those who would disparage OSU.
4/7/2011 7:17:56 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 8 predictions

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
What is there not to like about all five of these series this week? The top two matchups feature two pairs of ranked opponents, and the other three all seem evenly matched. (Well, sort of...) This week's games:

• #5 ASU (7 ISR) at #27 OSU (17 ISR)
  • #20 Cal (14 ISR) at #21 Ariz (36 ISR)
  • #17 UCLA (55 ISR) at WSU (42 ISR)
  • #16 Stan (9 ISR) at USC (109 ISR)
  • UW (208 ISR) at Ore (51 ISR)
Arizona State, despite postseason sanctions (under appeal) still appears to be the team to beat in the conference. After going 5-1 against Arizona and Oregon, they face their first road trip, to Corvallis. A series win on the road here—even this early--would practically seal their fate as the champion, with only Cal and Stanford left to challenge them. Oregon State could also make a statement by beating the Devils at home and taking two series from among the league's top teams.
In the other featured series, Cal—tied for first with ASU—visits Arizona, who had the misfortune of facing ASU, OSU, and now Cal in successive weekends to open league play. Arizona is not as bad as their league record would indicate, and Cal did show some weakness against USC last week.
Next we have UCLA visiting the Palouse. Wazzu's play in conference has been disappointing so far, but UCLA has not exactly been blazing trails. Expect another close series as the Cougs look to right their ship before embarking on two more brutal road series (to ASU and OSU).
Stanford visits surprisingly tough USC. Okay, this is not exactly an “evenly matched” series if you look at tthe teams' ISRs. But USC is getting better and will be playing at home. The Trojans have lost series to both UCLA and Cal, but they beat both teams as well, and they've played some pretty tough teams outside of the conference. Don't expect a cake walk for the Cardinal.
And finally Washington visits Eugene. With both teams at 0-3 in conference play, somebody (maybe both!) will get into the W column this week. They may be cellar dwellers for now, but the Ducks played against ASU in Tempe, and the Huskies' three losses to UCLA were by 1, 2, and 1 run respectively. This series is up for grabs.

The reminders:

• Vote for the team you expect to win and whether the results will be 3-0 or 2-1.
  • Pick teams in the exact order posted. This makes it easier for me to tabulate.
  • Use the team abbreviations listed in the sample below. (Again, helps me. ;-)
  • You can change your picks up until first pitch of the first game.
  • There are no prizes. We play for glory.
Points are awarded in the following manner:

Pick . . Result . . Pts.
3-0 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 6
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 1
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 0

2-1 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 4
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 2
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 1

A sample poll would look like this:

OSU 3-0
Ariz 2-1
WSU 2-1
Stan 3-1
Ore 3-0
4/8/2011 5:18:58 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Lute31 wrote:
So going on the road to Auburn wasn't a tough road trip?

Lute, you comment on someone else's comment...and don't make any picks?
4/8/2011 5:30:05 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Some interesting picks so far. I will have some analysis later tonight, perhaps in the middle of some of the games.

I do not see any sweeps this week myself. Not to say that it couldn't happen, and the last two series in the list look like the best candidates IMO. But I think this will be the most competitive weekend yet. Could be some surprises too. Anyway, here are my picks.

OSU 2-1
Ariz 2-1
WSU 2-1
Stan 2-1
Ore 2-1
4/8/2011 6:07:13 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
urine trouble wrote:
ASU 2-1
Cal 2-1
UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
Ore 3-0

Really? This is your username? I'll mark you down as Mr. P!ss Problem for now... I would encourage you to consider reregistering with a respectable handle.... Whaaaaa?
4/8/2011 9:19:01 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Man, don't let that stop you. I have all the scores in front of me, and I don't remember how you did last year. It's all fun anyway. If you are the tops one week, regardless how you do overall, you are king for a week. Think it over. ;-)

Anyway, here are the predictions stats:
  • Stanford and Oregon are most heavily favored to win this weekend. Both teams garnered unanimous 14-0 votes to beat their opponents, with the Cardinal getting 7 sweep votes compared to the Ducks' 5 sweeps.
  • Number three this weekend is Arizona, a 10-4 favorite over Cal. Neither team gets a vote for a sweep.
  • The two closest series are UCLA at Wazzu and ASU at OSU, both at 7-7 ties. ASU received two votes for sweeps versus none for Oregon State. (Late note: OSU beats ASU in game one, so that is not a possibility any more. ;-)
  • UCLA and Wazzu are absolutely evenly split with seven 2-1 votes apiece. No sweeps.
4/8/2011 11:38:32 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one

Oregon State 5, Arizona State 2: Sam Gaviglio pitched a complete game, throwing over 130 pitches. After giving up three hits and two runs in the first Gaviglio hunkered down and limited the high-octane Devils to six additional hits and one run over the next eight. The Beavers scratched one run in the 5th and scored four with two out on six hits in the 7th.

OSU leads series 1-0.

Arizona 5, Cal 4: Arizona came from behind 2-0 to tie the game 2-2 in the 8th, then Cal scored twice in the top of the 9th to take a 4-2 lead. In the bottom of the 9th, PH Bobby Brown doubled to left center with one out. One batter later, Josh Garcia doubled Brown and walked batter Alex Mejia to tie the game. After an intentional walk and strike out, Jett Bandy singled in the winning run.

Arizona leads series 1-0.

UCLA 3, Washington State 1: The Bruins scored alal three runs in the 3rd on a sinbgle, a walk, and two doubles. UCLA's Gerrit Cole and Washington State's Adam Conley both pitched the full nine innings, but Cole got the edge, allowing one run on five hits.

UCLA leads series 1-0.

Stanford 8, USC 1: The Cardinal broke a 0-0 tie in the 5th with four runs on five hits. Stanford finished with 17 hits versus USC's 4. Mark Appel (3-3) got the win for Stanford.

Stanford leads series 1-0.

Washington 4, Oregon 3 (14 innings): Washington led most of the game until Oregon scored single runs in the 6th and 8th to tie it at 3-3. and there it stayed for another five innings. The Ducks came close to scoring in the 10th when a runner was caught stealing home with one out and again in the 12th with two on and two out when Spencer Rogers robbed Jack Marder of a game-winning hit. In the 14th, Ty Afenir hit a two-out RBI single to score Troy Scott, who got aboard on a throwing error by the shortstop. The Ducks got the leadoff man aborad in the bottom of the inning and sacrificed him to second, but he was doubled up on a fly to RF to end the game.

Washington leads series 1-0.
4/9/2011 11:12:54 AM
Topic:
Oregon State Catcher, Andrew Susac...

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
This almost ruined my day yesterday when I didn't see Susac in the lineup and checked for an injury report. But then the Beavers beat ASU anyway, so I didn't feel so bad.

Susac said he will mostly likely have surgery in the summer after the season is over. "Eventually it has to get operated on but it's something you could play through," he said. "I'm just waiting for the swelling to go down and we'll see how it feels. I think it's 4-6 weeks for recovery.

So a 4- to 6-week recovery that he could get started on now and be back in time for the Civil War series and the postseason, or play with an injured hand until summer. What would you do? And is it true that one can "play through" this type of injury? Or does that mean DHing or an occasional pinch hit?
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121